Need Help with a Walker C22CF

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
adancingmonkey

Need Help with a Walker C22CF

Post by adancingmonkey »

So a while back I tried taking a walker c22cf apart. I cant really remember why now it has been several years. I think I wanted to clean the washers and lube it because it was sticking.

Well I stripped a screw, attempts to further remove the screw only made things worse. Frankly it is a shame cause it was my favourite knife.

I reached out to spyderco if they had replacement screws but since the knife was discontinued so long ago they don't.

I was hoping a sprint C22 would come along but we have all been waiting a long time now.

First, how do I get the bloody screw out at this point. I have been looking for a tiny left handed drill bit/extractor for years to no avail.
Second, where can I get a replacement screw.
Third, where can I find replacement nylon washers.

Any assistance would be helpful at this point.

Thanks.
Attachments
2D7E6604-CD77-4F81-A0D8-45770D7EA19E_1_105_c.jpeg
Current favorite: Manix 2 with carbon fiber scales and cru-ware.
Giygas

Re: Need Help with a Walker C22CF

Post by Giygas »

The length is the least important, that can always be changed.

What's the diameter?

Its almost definitely gonna be M2.5, M3, or 2-56 threaded. It was made in Japan, correct? If so, then my money's on M2.5 or M3.

Do you have a pm2 or para 3? Those have 2-56 clip screws so you can try threading one in. A lot of Taichung made knives use M3 (mantra and Amalgam for sure, probably a ton of others), so that could give you an M3 screw to try.

As for removing the rounded screw, that's gonna need to be drilled out. You could cut a channel into the head and use a flat blade screwdriver, but that's gonna damage the scales, and you'd still need to melt the thread locker (which I'm assuming is what caused the problem in the first place)
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I have a C22 and, even though it needs some TLC, I have left it untouched because I can't get up the gumption to deal with the tiny, unusual screw heads. A really useful mod would be replacing the existing screws with Torx-heads. The C22 was made in Switzerland, which probably still means M2.5 or M3. Here's a picture of one of the heads, magnified 10X:

adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Giygas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:15 pm
The length is the least important, that can always be changed.

What's the diameter?

Its almost definitely gonna be M2.5, M3, or 2-56 threaded. It was made in Japan, correct? If so, then my money's on M2.5 or M3.

Do you have a pm2 or para 3? Those have 2-56 clip screws so you can try threading one in. A lot of Taichung made knives use M3 (mantra and Amalgam for sure, probably a ton of others), so that could give you an M3 screw to try.

As for removing the rounded screw, that's gonna need to be drilled out. You could cut a channel into the head and use a flat blade screwdriver, but that's gonna damage the scales, and you'd still need to melt the thread locker (which I'm assuming is what caused the problem in the first place)
Thanks for your info. It pointed me in a good direction. The screws on the C22CF take a T6 torx bit and the dimensions seem to be more in line with an M2 sized screw that is 4mm in length.
Diameter is approx. 2.1 mm but that includes the threads.
Head height is approx. 1.1mm
Head Diameter is approx. 3.6mm
I appreciate the info. Im going to start there and see what happens.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

I have some m2 screws that are a very similar size, I'd be happy to send you a few, if you'd like.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
adancingmonkey

Post by adancingmonkey »

Giygas wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:53 pm
I have some m2 screws that are a very similar size, I'd be happy to send you a few, if you'd like.
I may take you up on that offer. Many places offer only 100 at a time.