Two questions to Sal about aluminium scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Two questions to Sal about aluminium scales

Post by sal »

Hi Archangel,
archangel wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 2:59 am
Dear Sal,

I'm referring to the BHQ exclusives.

Q1: comparing them to G10 and FRN, where are costs for material & production of aluminium scales? I know costs are business internal, I don't expect that you share figures. Just an orientation would be totally ok, if you can.
You do not need moulds like for FRN, you do not need liners, and BHQ is selling the product for $140. Seems like aluminium is a relatively cheap alternative? If that is true, do you have plans to add aluminium as a permanent alternative? (bonus question).

Comparing FRN to G-10 and Aluminum, there are significant differences. Both G-10 and Aluminum have to be machined. CNC time for set up and run is expensive. G-10 is harder on cutters, but cutters in general need to be replaced often when using obstinate materials. FRN requires making a mold, which are also expensive. But FRN injected parts do not need much labor to form the material into a handle. We've done a great deal of work in all three materials.

It seems like you are trying to get a cost comparison with regards to mfg cost vs selling price? Most of the cost in making a knife, especially a high quality knife is in labor, so things like material costs are there, but so is shipping the material, forming the material, assembling and QC'ing the product. Nailing down costs is a very complicated process and trying to guess whether or not a liner will have significant effect on cost won't tell you much. A good laser could cost a Million dollars. Cost of the equipment, set up, maintenance, replacement parts, etc. are all part of the cost equation. Whether we use more Aluminum or not depends on the demand.

Q2: According to user feedback, the texture is quite aggressive. The term used by others is 'pocket shredders'. My gut feeling is that this can be fixed though - you just need to find the "right" pattern. I'm sure you are aware of this "issue". Are there countermeasures / CQI in preparation? I flew through the dedicated thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=91313 but did not see you had chimed in.

We have a number of textures that we've used and use for both G-10 and Aluminum (as well as titan) and we're always refining. Abrading pockets is a constant study.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thank you very much Sal for taking the time to answer!
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Russia used to supply the US with a lot of aluminum, Tesla was one of their customers. Costs are going to go up for everything at the moment.

As far as non g-10 scales, I do not own any aluminum knives, but I do own titanium knives.

I saw the new aluminum Spyderco and I really like it! I may buy an aluminum handled knife one day!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Is there a greater demand for titanium scales? I can think of a few models I would love titanium scales from the factory, like the Shaman.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jonathon,

Titanium scales are usually expensive due to the machining requirements and they are heavier than most handle materials. So it's a specialized market. We make some here and there, often custom designs for those that want Titan.

sal
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

We appreciate your keeping titanium in the lineup. They're really easy on the pants pockets.....especially with the wire clip. Might be a little more expensive, but you save money on clothing expense. even good jeans are not cheap.
archangel

Post by archangel »

My #1 scales material. Nothing beats titanium from haptics point of view.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
benben

Post by benben »

My only aluminum scaled knife is my C60 Ayoob, never thought I'd like aluminum as much as I do! Being in your pocket it warms up nicely just like titanium and feels great in my hand.

It is thinner, some might say too thin? It's amazing that a knife this size just disappears in your pocket!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

My only Titanium is my daily razor. I've never bought a knife in the material, but I've been tempted. I have a few in Aluminum and they hold up really well, but all of them are coated with something, like ti nitride or something hard.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

Danke wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:27 am
My opinion is they use their exclusives as loss leaders to lock in customer habits so they'll pick them before another store for all their purchases; not just the unique versions.
Accutron wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 am
This is definitely an example of BHQ taking a reduced profit to increase customer attachment. It's called a loss leader.
They aren't taking a loss on these exclusives, so it really doesn't fit the definition of loss leader. I think the only reason you see exclusives selling for around, or even under, standard production knives is because an MAP isn't forced on an exclusive. A place as big as Blade HQ can still make a reasonable profit without it. If Blade HQ was allowed to sell regular models under MAP, you can bet they'd be selling them cheaper too.