Spyderco Siren Observations

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mb1

Re: Spyderco Siren Observations

Post by mb1 »

Got my warranty replacement in today. Very happy to have this lightweight knife back in rotation.

The ergos really are exceptional. Love the extra grip the texture offers. Magnacut would put this thing over the top! A real EDC favorite of mine.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

olywa wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:41 am
Second dates can be illuminating. I find myself enjoying my CQI'd Siren much more than I did before. No matter what I'm carrying in my front pocket(s), I've been carrying the Siren in my right rear jeans pocket and I find myself reaching back for it more often than not. Looking forward to cleaning some salmon with it later this year.
I definitely felt an emotional reaction to the Siren lock issue. Instant loss of interest, carried it less when I was enlightened to the lock issue. The function wasn't compromised. It still cut fine like the day I got it.
I think we're a unique .2-.3% of the population that is aware of every aspect of a knifes make up. Just knowing there was, a before unknown issue, made me not want to carry it. Like a child ignoring a broken toy. :winking-tongue

I feel a new attachment to the CQI, like a new toy.
"My precious"!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Anyone: When you sent your Siren back for replacement, did you send just the knife, or the full box, paperwork, and all? I need to get rolling on mine. Of course, SFO shows as out of stock so I'll be lucky to get anything more than a credit.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Download and print the warranty form from the website. Fill it out and package it with the knife. I didn't send the box and they sent back the $5 I enclosed for shipping. I think they are holding stock for replacements.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yeah, if I remember right, the warranty form says to send the knife only, no box.
Spydeeman

Post by Spydeeman »

Just sent mine off today. Hopefully there's still some replacements left
jegred2

Post by jegred2 »

5-by-5 wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:09 pm
olywa wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:41 am
Second dates can be illuminating. I find myself enjoying my CQI'd Siren much more than I did before. No matter what I'm carrying in my front pocket(s), I've been carrying the Siren in my right rear jeans pocket and I find myself reaching back for it more often than not. Looking forward to cleaning some salmon with it later this year.
I definitely felt an emotional reaction to the Siren lock issue. Instant loss of interest, carried it less when I was enlightened to the lock issue. The function wasn't compromised. It still cut fine like the day I got it.
I think we're a unique .2-.3% of the population that is aware of every aspect of a knifes make up. Just knowing there was, a before unknown issue, made me not want to carry it. Like a child ignoring a broken toy. :winking-tongue

I feel a new attachment to the CQI, like a new toy.
"My precious"!
I’m more OCD about how the grind line on each side of the blade are uneven with each other. I have the pre-CQI Siren and I have to put excessive force on it to get the back lock to move at all, and I could barely tell.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Been carrying my CQI Siren a lot lately. I've been reaching for it over my Pacific Salts this month.

Been using a more polished edge than usual with mine. Brown rods microbevel at 15 degrees with a thinner back bevel. Gets hair popping sharp easily.

I might be alone in wanting this, but there is a variant I'd like to see.

Siren XL.

I really, really like the design of the Siren. But the blade is a bit small for my tastes, as is the handle:

If there was another 1/2" or so of handle, my pinky would be a lot more comfortable. It sometimes feels like it'll slip off the end, even though it has a secure hold thanks to the grippy g10.

Another 1/2" of blade would make it a little more versatile as well.
:unicorn
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Totally agree with where you are coming from . My hands are not quite as large as yours but would welcome handle to extend a bit farther , Extra blade length is always a good thing , if length was same as a Pacific Salt , no complaints from me . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 4:52 pm
Anyone have an old Siren and CQI Siren they could photograph side by side? I swear it feels like there were more changes than just the lock, but I'm going by memory.

Many months later, but did you ever get a response on this? All I'm seeing relative to original vs CQI side by side is that the CQI blade is a couple of millimeters longer....
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

Also - it appears that the back lock pivot pin has been moved a few thousandths closer to the blade pivot....
MDNY102

Post by MDNY102 »

And apparently most important... the lock bar to blade tang engagement face has been widened (front to back) by a few thousandths, at least comparing the "T" vs "V" date code samples I have. Also noting that on the "V", the lock bar pivot pin doesn't sit proud of the G10 on both sides like on the "T". On one side the pin is slightly recessed below the G10 surface. For whatever that minutia might be worth..