If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FourStringFiend

Re: If you have not heard, there is a knife called the Caly 3.5

Post by FourStringFiend »

I’m glad you enjoy it. As you know, I’m a big advocate of the model. The blade to handle ratio/ergos really seal the deal for me. If it had the same scales as the S90v Native 5 I might not carry anything else.

As far as laminated steels go, I don’t mind the scratches at all but I get why some don’t want scratches on a over $200 knife.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:45 pm
It would be great if Sal could chime in and give a rough perspective on how far away that Caly 3.5 LW still is... very hard to do in these times though, I know (giving such an perspective, I mean)!!

....and it is not like we´d not be blessed with quite some new LW lockback Spydies anyway, that are either already there, or very close... (Stretch 2 XL.. Chief FRN... Police LW.. "Cliff Jumper"...) :smlling-eyes

:winking-tongue
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

As soon as I find one it’s next on my list.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 5:40 pm
As soon as I find one it’s next on my list.
Getting harder to find, but Sal confirmed a new shipment to Golden. Hopefully we will see it soon in stores. The title of the thread is probably misleading. I was trying to joke about an older model being rediscovered. I hope some who have never tried it give it a shot.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

So is this the point where I request an S90V Caly 3.5?? Yes, please.
So it goes.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Caly 3 HAP40 sprint was probably the most anticipated drop for me. It took quite awhile too. So in the meantime someone announced that the Caly 3.5 ZDP carbon fiber model was on sale for a ridiculously low price ($105?). I've been very happy with that purchase. I actually like the smooth carbon fiber too. It's easy on the pockets and I've never felt like it was too slippery. In fact the Delica with smooth CF has become one of my favorite Delicas for the same reason.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 7:41 pm
So is this the point where I request an S90V Caly 3.5?? Yes, please.

Oh, wow. Wouldn't that be dreamy.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Wait there's a Call 3.5 LW coming out? I've been out of the loop. I'm buying that.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:21 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:02 am
Wow, this is the first time I’ve truly felt old on this forum. The black G10 version was the first larger Spyderco I bought in February 2013 (right after my first one ever, the G10 Manbug). It has permanently resided in my top 3 ever since and is the only one model to have held that position the entire time. It’s the most superior ergonomic design of Sal’s many in my opinion, and I’ve raved about it nearly the entire time I’ve been here, so I guess I’m surprised it’s “under the radar” and a “sleeper hit” for newer people here. It’s been in the catalog the entire time as one variant or another, and the Super Blue one is one of the most sought after sprints I’m aware of.

In terms of its lineage, it’s technically a locking UKPK (model C94) with the Caly 3 (C113) coming out first and then the Caly 3.5 (C144). Many folks believe it’s a direct-line descendant of the Calypso, which it is not (the UKPK is the intermediate). I’m honestly not much of a fan of the CF ZDP version since I find the smooth CF too slick on it. My EDC one is the SB which I was excited a couple of years ago to finally be able to put a Lynch clip on when Casey first released his wire clip model (and I had to reverse the clip screw and barrel bolt position so the barrel could grab the clip, you can’t screw the clip straight on). I hope the LW version lives up to the fame of its predecessors, but again I’m a bit baffled that this thread even needs to exist to point out how awesome this model is. It’s a PM2-sized blade in a Delica-sized handle, the description I’ve long used for it. The reason I like the Kapara so much (also in my top 3 these days) is that it emulates many of the best characteristics of the Caly 3.5 - a long blade in a surprisingly compact and very ergonomic handle. Cheers, (old man) Radioactive

P.S. No, I’m not a fan at all of patinas. I’ve cleaned the patina off my SB one probably a half-dozen times now. And it’s sharpened and used, since some of you seem to think I just post pics of brand new ones for IG on here.
I didn't mean to offend. It's just old threads get lost in time. I have had my eye on it for some time and finally pulled the trigger thanks to a fellow member. I felt like this model needed a shameless plug. For someone like me who discovered Spyderco later in life, I get to rediscover a lot of these models like they are new. Maybe we talk about it again and others see it and get to enjoy it too. Maybe some that would not have considered it. Hopefully that is good for Spyderco and good for the model. I would hate to see it discontinued.

So again, I apologize for bringing something old up. Did not mean to waste anyone's time.
No waste of time at all. It is always good to talk about a great Spyderco model. I had a framelock knife I carried that was supposed to be the ultimate gentleman's knife. It was nice. However, it kept coming open in my pocket frequently, despite a good detent. I went looking for a knife with the same dimensions, but I wanted a back lock so I wouldn't have to worry about it opening in my pocket. I found the Caly3. That made me fall in love with Spyderco all over again after a long hiatus. The Caly3 is a clearly superior design and the Caly 3.5 is just more of that. The only reason I quit carrying my Caly3 was because the cost kept rising and MAP happened and I was afraid I'd lose it.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:14 pm
Wait there's a Call 3.5 LW coming out? I've been out of the loop. I'm buying that.

Sal said that there'd be one in the works over a year ago. And that it would have screw-together construction (so not pinned).

See here: viewtopic.php?p=1486273#p1486273
Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Diamondback

Post by Diamondback »

That's an incredibly well-built knife. Very impressive tolerances. I have one of the discontinued VG-10 models and carry it frequently. So easy to pocket, and so very, very useful. My only issue with the ZDP model is the price...YIKES. But that's just a combination of Spyderco and Seki, Japan. You're not going to get a beautiful Japanese-made knife like that from a company that is trying to keep a good amount of its production in the USA for anything under $200. Can't be done.
archangel

Post by archangel »

It's on my list, will get one eventually. I'm waiting for a sprint in a steel we haven't yet had been offered.

While we're on this subject: isn't it overdue?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

archangel wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:47 am
It's on my list, will get one eventually. I'm waiting for a sprint in a steel we haven't yet had been offered.

Michael, I see in your signature that the efficiency of your acquisition is dropping off. You have several more Spydies than you do Spydies with unique steels. Tsk, tsk. :cheap-sunglasses
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
PanChango

Post by PanChango »

I am a big fan of the Caly 3.5. I carried this SB version for 5 years until I gifted it to a friend. I still have a VG10 3.5 and a couple 3 inch versions. I am looking forward to the lw version.

archangel

Post by archangel »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:09 pm
archangel wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 6:47 am

Michael, I see in your signature that the efficiency of your acquisition is dropping off. You have several more Spydies than you do Spydies with unique steels. Tsk, tsk. :cheap-sunglasses

Guilty. :squinting-tongue
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

PanChango wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:43 pm
I am a big fan of the Caly 3.5. I carried this SB version for 5 years until I gifted it to a friend. I still have a VG10 3.5 and a couple 3 inch versions. I am looking forward to the lw version.

Very nice pic! I was excited about the LW before getting this CF version. I can say now that I am extremely excited. I am really hoping a new lower cost option gets a new wave of Spyderco fans into this model. If so, maybe we will see some exclusives or even a G10 model back in regular production. It sure deserves it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

I briefly owned a 3.5

For me it was an awkward size.

The 3 carries better and handles a bit better.

The full size lets me grip behind the choil comfortably.

The 3.5 didn't really let me utilize a grip behind the choil, but felt too large to me to be a dedicated choil only knife if that makes sense.

I was a really big fan of the series, especially the full size Calypso, but for me the Chief improved upon that design, has screw construction and is readily available...so yeah.

Hope the LW 3.5 is a success either way. I still think the calypso line is top tier Spyderco design. May even give the model a second chance, we'll see.
:unicorn
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

PanChango wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:43 pm

Wow! Look at those beauties. Well done! So the SuperBlue came out in both 3 and 3.5 did it? I was not paying attention during that period and never obtained a Caly in SB. They are certainly lookers. Love the monochrome look as they have aged.

Confession time: I don't own a ZDP 3.5, only have ZDPs in 3. Have been tempted many times, but have hesitated, thinking a re-issue with new steels are just around the corner. And hoping there'd be a stop pin upgrade. (Been wrong so far.)

Like Vivi ^ and others, tend to prefer the 3 to the 3.5 for EDC, but switch to the 3.5 for "more serious situations."
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 7:51 pm
I briefly owned a 3.5

For me it was an awkward size.

The 3 carries better and handles a bit better.

The full size lets me grip behind the choil comfortably.

The 3.5 didn't really let me utilize a grip behind the cho
il, but felt too large to me to be a dedicated choil only knife if that makes sense.

I was a really big fan of the series, especially the full size Calypso, but for me the Chief improved upon that design, has screw construction and is readily available...so yeah.

Hope the LW 3.5 is a success either way. I still think the calypso line is top tier Spyderco design. May even give the model a second chance, we'll see.
Vivi, just so I get you right:

- With "the full size" you are referring to the Calypso, right? And are not saying "The 3 ... handles a bit better".. "The" [its] full size lets me grip behind the choil comfortably" ?
Cause of course the 3 has a shorter handle (closed length 102 mm) than the 3.5 (108 mm)

Anyway: With your really big hand size there is not enough space behind the choil of the 3.5 for four fingers?
Would you think this is true for "just" XL hands too?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:24 pm
If it helps, on page 1 I have a pic of the grip behind the choil. I am about as far up the handle behind the choil that my pointer finger can go and the pinky is barely hanging on. This is a choil grip only knife for me. I wear size Large gloves, but have very skinny fingers.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005