Thanx much!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Thanx much!

Post by sal »

Well, Thanx to all of you for helping us to maintain a civil environment here.

sal
NASA50

Post by NASA50 »

James Y - Loved the Video - The Frog and the Scorpion !

I wish everyone could share a "teaching moment" in such a classy and effective manner !

Thank you,

NASA 50
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I missed the whole thing (which is fine), but thanks to the gang here for "sticking to the high ground".
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you all are missing my point completely (except maybe jsumm). i said more than once i understand that booting someone is necessary sometimes. what i'm also saying is that name calling, dehumanizing, and celebrating someone being silenced and kicked out is not cool, especially when other forum members were clearly responsible for making the situation worse. it's not shiny footprints, it's certainly not the high ground, and it absolutely is stooping to his level.

obviously a lot of you disagree and think there's nothing wrong with treating him like he was just the trash that sal put on the curb because he used some bad language and was rude (both of which were reciprocated multiple times by forum members that felt the need to escalate the problem and are still here, btw). he was obviously an angry dude and likely would've needed to go anyway (just like sal warned him about), but why would we think further provoking him by ganging up on him and calling him names was going to help? and then we have the audacity to congratulate ourselves for being better than him when he gets banned. if you called him a name (or are now), you're no better. if you were rude to him instead of trying to diffuse the situation, you're no better. if you are human too, you're no better. no one should be patting themselves on the back.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 10:58 pm
I missed the whole thing (which is fine), but thanks to the gang here for "sticking to the high ground".
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
James Y

Post by James Y »

NASA50 wrote:
Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:39 pm
James Y - Loved the Video - The Frog and the Scorpion !

I wish everyone could share a "teaching moment" in such a classy and effective manner !

Thank you,

NASA 50

Glad you enjoyed the video, NASA 50.

Cheers!

Jim
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:29 am
you all are missing my point completely (except maybe jsumm). i said more than once i understand that booting someone is necessary sometimes. what i'm also saying is that name calling, dehumanizing, and celebrating someone being silenced and kicked out is not cool, especially when other forum members were clearly responsible for making the situation worse. it's not shiny footprints, it's certainly not the high ground, and it absolutely is stooping to his level.

obviously a lot of you disagree and think there's nothing wrong with treating him like he was just the trash that sal put on the curb because he used some bad language and was rude (both of which were reciprocated multiple times by forum members that felt the need to escalate the problem and are still here, btw). he was obviously an angry dude and likely would've needed to go anyway (just like sal warned him about), but why would we think further provoking him by ganging up on him and calling him names was going to help? and then we have the audacity to congratulate ourselves for being better than him when he gets banned. if you called him a name (or are now), you're no better. if you were rude to him instead of trying to diffuse the situation, you're no better. if you are human too, you're no better. no one should be patting themselves on the back.
You make good points. You point out the grey, and touch on the black and white that is in humanity still dripping with grey.

For using profanity and stirring the pot a little (being a distraction) the question (his question) at hand was taken seriously. I agree it was very easy for us to bark back. I still like his question, it spoke to me and just today I have a Spydie Chef coming in the mail (it says more about me, and perhaps my shallowness.)

We should all be aware of/ and question the mob. It’s so easy for the mob to crucify. It’s so easy to be the mob.

Thank you Ladybug93 for calling **** what it is. Always we should strive to be the best.

I think I heard Sal talk about his employees once, there were 3 virtues he absolutely demanded in all of them, I see no reason we on his forum should not work on/strive for in ourselves.

1. Honest
2. Integrity
3. Salami (I forgot this one, so I made a joke.)

Sal will you please remind us what it was, your work ethic for your employees?

Again I enjoy my time here. Less about the knives, more about the people who share the interest.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Decency is a choice we can all make, and staying polite in the face of vulgarity says more good about our own character than any mudslinging would do.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

ladybug93 wrote:

I think I'm safe in saying I get your point. I thanked Sal & crew for setting an example, but for the rest who could not resist poking their sticks, well...

Everyday is a learning experience and some things I've needed to learn more than once. Not condemning anyone, but let's all learn from it and try to improve.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Danke

Post by Danke »

I'm pretty sure I saw a couple of those threads and I chose not to reply as I tend to do here when I see that kind of person. Other places I can be much more blunt.

I feel it is valuable to discuss this when it happens since if you don't know where the line is you'll never know you've crossed it.

And while everyone is a person (unless they're AI or smart animals with voice to text) some people get all their joy from causing problems for others. There are other places on the world wide web for them to do that; this is the wrong place & it's beyond the scope of the discussion here to reform that kind of person.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JRinFL wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 11:53 am
ladybug93 wrote:

I think I'm safe in saying I get your point. I thanked Sal & crew for setting an example, but for the rest who could not resist poking their sticks, well...

Everyday is a learning experience and some things I've needed to learn more than once. Not condemning anyone, but let's all learn from it and try to improve.
I think this thread was started to make clear that trolling is verboten here.

Nothing, however, was said to make clear that brigading (https://www.urbandictionary.com/define. ... g&amp=true) was also verboten here. Like ladybug93, I wish it had been.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Danke

Post by Danke »

Since the threads are gone it's hard to Monday morning quarterback them.

What I saw felt a lot more like the kid who wasn't invited to the party, came anyway, and then when they didn't get enough attention they took a dump in the pool.

Now I'm no expert but I expect if you went to a Ford 150 website and started running down the blue oval and saying the taco's always been a better pickup I can guess what would happen; no bridgading required.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kevin,

Honesty - If someone is not going to be honest with me It does not pay to waste my time talking with them.
Reliability - It doesn't matter how good you are if you don't show up.
Ability -

We can't teach the first two. If your parents didn't teach you to be honest and reliable, we don't have a shot.

sal
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

sal wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:56 pm
Hi Kevin,

Honesty - If someone is not going to be honest with me It does not pay to waste my time talking with them.
Reliability - It doesn't matter how good you are if you don't show up.
Ability -

We can't teach the first two. If your parents didn't teach you to be honest and reliable, we don't have a shot.

sal
Thank you for the reminder.

You’re a first Ted Lasso (so to say) before Apple TV paid a comedian to show us how to be an empowering leader.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Danke wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 1:47 pm
Now I'm no expert but I expect if you went to a Ford 150 website and started running down the blue oval and saying the taco's always been a better pickup I can guess what would happen; no bridgading required.
Your guess is precisely the meaning of brigading.

Danke

Post by Danke »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:20 pm
Danke wrote:
Brigading is the act of grouping together in order to game a vote and give the impression that the general population swings heavily to one side. In this case, the internet voters are a united "brigade."

Now as stated I'm no expert but I would really expect a group of years long enthusiasts on a Brand/Manufacturer's page to not act that way. We are not a general population.

I know it's become a real popular idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid but I"m here to tell you that viewpoint is wrong.

Now of course if you think I"m wrong you're free to "brigade" a group of folks here to downvote me.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I missed most of this, but cheers to Sal and everyone here for a great forum 👍
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Danke wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:57 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Danke wrote:
Brigading is the act of grouping together in order to game a vote and give the impression that the general population swings heavily to one side. In this case, the internet voters are a united "brigade."

Now as stated I'm no expert but I would really expect a group of years long enthusiasts on a Brand/Manufacturer's page to not act that way. We are not a general population.

I know it's become a real popular idea that everyone's opinion is equally valid but I"m here to tell you that viewpoint is wrong.

Now of course if you think I"m wrong you're free to "brigade" a group of folks here to downvote me.
Seek clever debating points all you want. But ganging up on someone for whatever reason is not in the spirit of shiny footprints.

Danke

Post by Danke »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 3:56 pm
Danke wrote:
Mon Mar 07, 2022 2:57 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Danke wrote:

Seek clever debating points all you want. But ganging up on someone for whatever reason is not in the spirit of shiny footprints.
Well from what I saw in the other posts there was no ganging up. Just the common voice you'll find here. One person might hate the Stovepipe and another person could be unhappy that there's always another PM2 coming over the hill but those topics are discussed in a civil manner.

To me; it's more disrespectful of the established folks on here already to allow anyone to amplify a negative agenda.

You'll see thread after thread here where someone is unhappy about a knife they got or the service from Spyderco and they're allowed to speak their piece and the other users will give them advice and the staff will chime in and those comments are all left in the clear and there is no pile on.

There are people who show up in places like this with an object to cause harm and bathe in negative interactions. Having all the users here not tolerate that is what I'd expect from decent people. And some folks are more adept and spotting those users tells before another person would. The best plan is of course to use the report button but at times when someone is spouting vile words it's a must to counter that type of post with a common voice.