Magna Cut Caribbean?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Magna Cut Caribbean?

Post by Fireman »

I am pondering a sheepsfoot Caribbean and can’t help but think it will be great in Magna cut as well. Been wanting one for a while. Might need to pick one up to get free shipping with my next Mule :winking-tongue
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Matus

Re: Magna Cut Caribbean?

Post by Matus »

I don't thing there would be much opposition to that. And I while I can imagine that some of the hard-core ocean dwellers would not want to see ALL salt knives be turned to Magnacut (and I don't honestly expect Sypderco would make such a move), the Caribbean is more of a general outdoor use / utility knife in my view and Magnacut (based on all that I have read and heard about it) would be a great match. At the same time - it is a Taiwan model and I expect it will be a little while before we see Magnacut makig it all the way there.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't be surprised if they're shipping MagnaCut to Taichung for production just to increase the availability of the steel in their catalog, since the Golden factory will probably stay at capacity forever. There are probably some "premier" models with the steel already in the works. If not then maybe availability is so low that all they can afford to make are a few Golden models at first, but Sal had mentioned they put in for a large order and since Golden can only make so much I would expect Taichung to get a portion. The question is, what models get it first?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Matus

Post by Matus »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 4:19 am
... The question is, what models get it first?
Well, along that line of thinking the Caribbean would not be a bad candidate, as well as Spydiechef or Sage 1/5.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Matus wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:34 am
Evil D wrote:
Well, along that line of thinking the Caribbean would not be a bad candidate, as well as Spydiechef or Sage 1/5.

Agreed, I would think the Salt worthiness of MagnaCut would make it a perfect candidate for a Caribbean and Spydiechef. I'll be at the front of the line if they get made.
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

This is one I could easily wait for if it were to happen . Definitely would be a Sheepfoot blade if Magnacut was incorporated in this model . I almost purchased one a while ago but the Siren was a little bit higher on the list . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

That would be an amazing knife!

And I’ll say it again: Sal, please do Magnacut with Peel-ply CF with the same milled pattern!

Also: the Sheepsfoot Caribbean has not been CQI’d yet with the black hardware.
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Dazen wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:56 am

And I’ll say it again: Sal, please do Magnacut with Peel-ply CF with the same milled pattern!

Sheepsfoot with SE, peel ply carbon fiber and the machined grooves...that would be the fluted carbon fiber Salt of my dreams. I'd be ok without the grooves too just to get peel ply carbon fiber.
~David
Jbaffoh

Post by Jbaffoh »

Dazen wrote:

My Sheepsfoot PE is CQI with black. Are you talking about SE? If so, I am disappointed. I would like to add a Leaf SE to my arsenal, but I want the coated hardware.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Jbaffoh wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:02 am
Dazen wrote:

My Sheepsfoot PE is CQI with black. Are you talking about SE? If so, I am disappointed. I would like to add a Leaf SE to my arsenal, but I want the coated hardware.
I recently bought a Sheepsfoot Carribean SE at an ungodly low price on the secondary market. When it came with silver hardware, I concluded the CQI'd version was about to drop, and the dealer was dumping existing stock. It's an awesome, awesome cutter! I just bought a leaf SE also, and its hardware was coated, so you should be good.
Jbaffoh

Post by Jbaffoh »

Coastal wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 5:51 pm
Jbaffoh wrote:
Sat Feb 19, 2022 11:02 am
Dazen wrote:

I recently bought a Sheepsfoot Carribean SE at an ungodly low price on the secondary market. When it came with silver hardware, I concluded the CQI'd version was about to drop, and the dealer was dumping existing stock. It's an awesome, awesome cutter! I just bought a leaf SE also, and its hardware was coated, so you should be good.
Oh, good to know! Thanks! LOL, I wish I knew this two months ago.
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Looks like the Caribbean has finally been restocked at (some) dealers. Can’t seem to locate any CQI info. Anyone have better luck ascertaining what might be improved? Certainly not the steel, but hoping the pivot at the least.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:01 am
Matus wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 5:34 am
Evil D wrote:

Agreed, I would think the Salt worthiness of MagnaCut would make it a perfect candidate for a Caribbean and Spydiechef. I'll be at the front of the line if they get made.
+1, exactly what I've been thinking.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would definitely want them, but probably not enough to buy the knives again at the higher prices they're already demanding. i'll grab my magnacut manix, but i don't know if i'll be buying taichung salts in magnacut. i don't even want to think about how expensive they'll be.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I suppose a MagnaCut Caribbean is inevitable, given the Salt role this steel has been assigned. I will remain content with my original, not to be obstinate, but to respect how original the original is. I’ll get my MagnaCut in other models.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”