Getting out knife from dress pants

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
James Y

Re: Getting out knife from dress pants

Post by James Y »

On the very rare occasions that I do wear dress pants, I never carry clipped. I’ll carry a LWT, keep the clip on, and simply carry it down inside the pocket, like an old-fashioned pocket knife.

Jim
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I will echo what others have said. If you want smaller, there are multiple options on scales that would work on the Chaparral. If you want larger, try out the Kapara. It is an excellent design. My only complaint is how slick the scales are when trying to close the compression lock. However, for the OP's concern, the Kapara easily goes in and out of some slacks or dress pants.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

When wearing dress pants, I typically just carry my knife of choice clipped to the inside of my waistband. This way, I don’t have a bulging pocket or look “out of place” with a knife clipped to my pocket.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi LetItBleed, Tonnor,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Danke

Post by Danke »

I have a few of these to use as knife slips They work really well on mid sized models like the Spidiechef.

https://countycomm.com/collections/pouc ... by-maratac
Last edited by Danke on Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

Most of these responses have violated the principle that every solution requires a new knife. I will not let you down.

After much experimentation, I carry a Spyderco Cricket in a pocket slip when I wear a suit. The Cricket is only 1/4 thick with the clip removed. I ordered the slip from a maker on Etsy. This allows you to purchase both a new knife AND a pocket slip. ;)
Cricket.jpg
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Solution is definitely buying another knife! I would look into the Spyopera for fancy carry!

I tend to draw using my index finger on the tip of the clip. I really like Spyderco Factory clips for this reason and don't like deep carry clips. I tend to struggle with a few other brands when drawing a knife.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Shmohawk

Post by Shmohawk »

I second the Kapara. Slides in an out really easily but has never fallen out on its own.
The Watu is not bad with dress pants either.

Sometimes instead of pulling the knife out of my pocket, I'll hook my thumb into the pocket, pull it taut and push the bottom of the knife up from outside the pocket with my middle or index finger just enough to clear the clip out of my pocket. Then just slide hand up and remove knife fully.
DrTerry

Post by DrTerry »

Thanks everyone for these tips. I'm really happy to receive so many replies.

I forgot to mention I have added aftermarket wave attachments to most of my spydercos. They don't work as well in dress pants or other pants of softer material. Some of the hangups i am experiencing are due to the hook getting stuck. If I remove the wave feature it is generally easier to pull the knife from the pocket.

Lesson learned: The wave thing can actually be a hindrance rather than a help at deployment, depending on the pocket material.

Today I ordered today a sheet of Talon grip tape (for pistols). They sell a 5x7 sheet on Amazon for about $10. I'm going to try a strip on a couple of knives that are G10 or Carbion fiber. The hope is that it won't leave permanent residue if I remove the grip tape later.
eRoc

Post by eRoc »

Knifecenter pakkawoods are another nice option. I have the Endura and it's my go to when wearing slacks. I want the dragonfly eventually though.
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I like the Kapara for a smooth draw.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Either the Sun and Moon or the Bird’s Eye Maple Chaparral. Completely smooth, comes out easy in dress pants, and also more gentlemanly. As a complete and total gentleman myself, I can say so unequivocally. Good day to you kind sir.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I find my Mantra 2 quite good under those circumstances. Slides easily in and out of pocket and doesn't tear them up. Serves quite well as a gent's knife at a restaurant or coring an apple. My favorite EDC under less formal circumstances, too.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

1] You can get a pocket slip
2] You can carefully, and very slightly bend the clip ever so gently.
3] You can sand the FRN to make it smoother.
4] You can get a knife with pakawood, carbon fiber, wood, raffir noble, titanium, or other smooth material for scales.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I think a discussion like this could be elevated to a more interesting level if we also pointed out what the circumstances are.
There are large geographical and demographical differences when it comes to dress codes, so while it could seem obvious where and why someone would wear dress pants, it really isn’t.

I might be over generalizing here, but Scandinavia is lacking in dress code in an almost childish manner. While I do appreciate the “freedom” of not having to dress to the expectation of others, I think there are some benefits to setting some expectations for one self and dress up to that. Well… tangent detected, returning to topic;

I hate dress pants. I really do.
I’m pretty comfortable dressing up with dress shirts and jackets and do so quite regularly, but the pants only come on when anything less is bordering on disrespectful.
As such, the knife vs dress pant issue is almost a none issue for me. Still I regularly do find that I want to carry some kind of cutting implement in some of the situations I wear dress pants.
Almost every time I end up carrying something like a SAK, though.
In part because these are almost always social situations, sometimes ceremonial, which requires a very respectful behavior.
But I also appreciate the other implements for opening wine bottles on Constitution day or assembling toys for the kids on Christmas eve… dress pants often goes along with a circumstance that make other implements desirable.
I do miss the one handed opening though, so until I reach the level of confidence to DIY my own SpyderSAK, I’m open to better ways to solve this (for me) relatively insignificant issue.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

PineyBoy wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:49 am
8FF56641-BA19-435B-ADC0-5CD85682B522_1_105_c.jpeg

The perfect answer to your problem:
Agreed. No friction on removal. SpyOpera is also a great carry with no friction
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

https://www.theclipslip.com/product-pag ... ip-classic
This. Clip on the slip means it's always in the same spot (no fishing around in your pockets), but you don't have to unclip the knife for access. It has an optional pen loop too. 
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I've developed a way of using the nail of my index finger to pull up on the end of the clip to release some of the pressure as I'm pulling the knife out or putting the knife in my pocket.

Some clips aren't designed with thick dress/work pants in mind.

This works pretty well with some practice. And it sure makes it easier on the delicate dress pants.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Needless to say it probably depends a lot on what type of dress pants you might be wearing. Because the term "dress pants" ( for men) covers a wide array of different types of men's clothing and a lot of different materials as well. There are so many different materials that they make dress pants, trousers and slacks with.

This may indeed be a reason for Spyderco to consider different types of pocket clips. Because some of the pocket clips I've used over the years most definitely are abrasive to a lot of different cloth materials. This might actually call for a pocket clip to be made in a non-metallic material. Because the two blades I'm carrying today have pocket clips that even wear hard on work pants, denim jeans and even bib overalls which is what I've been wearing doing volunteer work this week.

Or this might be a reason to check into something to use on the pocket clip that would cushion the pocket clip so as to not be harsh or abrasive to those types of clothing. To be honest I've never even thought about how to deal with a situation like this.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Ill usually take a Chapparal LW with no clip or the Watu. The CF makes it so the clip glides out of the pocket without running a nice and comfortable pair of fancy pants.

PS : Doc Dan did provide a very good list.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds