MagnaCut - Yeah, It's Probably Just Hype...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
wrdwrght

Re: MagnaCut - Yeah, It's Probably Just Hype...

Post by wrdwrght »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:45 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:10 pm
I now figure MagnaCut will become available in all Signature models in the fullness of time.

I would certainly like it in a Manix2, a Shaman, and a Military Model.

The unanswered question is whether dealer/distributor exclusives or Spyderco itself will make that happen.
I would love to do a serious, hard use test drive with a C-36 Military with a "Magnacut" blade. The C-36 Military and PARA2 both are excellent folders to test new blade steels with IMO.

I've had such great luck with my M390 Military model that it would be interesting to see whether or not the C-36 Military would also fare well with a Magnacut blade. There are few "hard use" blades I like as good as I do the C-36 Military model. There just isn't a better model to test "Magnacut" blade steel with than the C-36 Military.
My confidence that MagnaCut is the next big thing is now strong enough for me to want it in particular models. In the past, I would have said a PM2, a design I have come to love in my time here.

The PM2 has served me as a mule (fixed blades, I don’t need) and I now have this model in abundance.

More recently, I have come to love the Military Model, and to regard it also as a proxy-mule.

Bring on the Magna Millie!

But if MagnaCut is offered in a PM2 before a Millie, I won’t be sitting still…
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Matus

Post by Matus »

More and more makers and knife making companies are turning towards MagnaCut - the demand is rising. I can well imagine that apart from whatever strategy Spyderco has, the availability may be also a factor that may hinder introduction of MC in several of their production lines.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

There's also this guy :

Eurotechni sells some Magnacut sheets now so there's a lot of french (europeans really) makers starting to have fun with it.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

Rymanz wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:53 am
I'm betting it'll be a little while before we see Magnacut as a standard steel across multiple models. There's so much hype right now that manufacturers are likely going to cash in on the exclusive/limited edition money printing machine.
The PM2 is magic, a PM2 in Magnacut would melt the internet.
sal

Post by sal »

We've done a fair amount of testing and we think Larrin's new steel is special. I don't know how many production companies are using it. We've tried to do our share to get it out into the market place.

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

Yes, Magnacut can now be ordered (for individuals) also in Europe. Once I get my workshop up and running, I am definitely going to try it out.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 am
Yes, Magnacut can now be ordered (for individuals) also in Europe. Once I get my workshop up and running, I am definitely going to try it out.
Happy to know that ! I had the same plans but sadly there's no garage available where I am.
I have to postpone this a bit and contempt myself with handle making for mules and such in the meanwhile :bug-red-white
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Matus

Post by Matus »

Ramonade wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:34 am
Matus wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 am
Happy to know that ! I had the same plans but sadly there's no garage available where I am.
I have to postpone this a bit and contempt myself with handle making for mules and such in the meanwhile :bug-red-white
We moved, so I am going to have more space, but it will probably be few months before I can sensibly start toying with knife making again. And I definitely want to implement wet grinding before I start again. Magnacut and Cruwear are high on the list and also ApexUltra (once on the market).

But I went off topic far enough, so let me stop here :)
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Sounds like a winner
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I would love a Para 3 LW in Magnacut. Please, Sal and Eric!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This waiting game for new Spyders with "Magnacut" blades reminds me of another event in Spyder-History. Rewind the tape all the way back to the year 2002. That was when all the hype started about a new blade steel we know today as S30V and how manufacturers and knifemakers were very high on S30V as though it was the perfect new blade steel.

And S30V did have a little honeymoon period of sorts. But after the dust settled I personally ended up liking VG-10 and a couple of other blade steels better. Now I do think that Magnacut will prove to be better than S30V after it's all said and done.

Time will tell us if all the hype is justified. I would sure give one model with Magnacut a lengthy and demanding test drive and be convinced that it is a premium blade steel before I would be buying several new models with Magnacut blades.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 8:06 am
This waiting game for new Spyders with "Magnacut" blades reminds me of another event in Spyder-History. Rewind the tape all the way back to the year 2002. That was when all the hype started about a new blade steel we know today as S30V and how manufacturers and knifemakers were very high on S30V as though it was the perfect new blade steel.

And S30V did have a little honeymoon period of sorts. But after the dust settled I personally ended up liking VG-10 and a couple of other blade steels better. Now I do think that Magnacut will prove to be better than S30V after it's all said and done.

Time will tell us if all the hype is justified. I would sure give one model with Magnacut a lengthy and demanding test drive and be convinced that it is a premium blade steel before I would be buying several new models with Magnacut blades.
I think it's pretty fair to say that S30V did indeed have a major impact on the EDC knife world. With indications that MagnaCut is at the very minimum, appreciably better in many ways to S30V, I think it is also fair to say, it too may have a huge impact. Even the kitchen cutlery world is lit up about it.
Matus

Post by Matus »

I expect the Magnacut to be about as relevant for the kitchen cutlery as the S30V was/is. That is - not that much. It is a very different world and apart from a few custom makers I have not seen any drift towards high end steels. What became more dominant is the amount of new/young makers that appeared in the past 10 years who forge their blades (mostly sanmai or warikomi constructions) rather than going the stock-removal road, and thus using steels that can be forged and forge-welded reasonably easily (it is not easy to forge-weld stainless steel in a traditional manner).
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Matus wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:09 am
I expect the Magnacut to be about as relevant for the kitchen cutlery as the S30V was/is. That is - not that much. It is a very different world and apart from a few custom makers I have not seen any drift towards high end steels. What became more dominant is the amount of new/young makers that appeared in the past 10 years who forge their blades (mostly sanmai or warikomi constructions) rather than going the stock-removal road, and thus using steels that can be forged and forge-welded reasonably easily (it is not easy to forge-weld stainless steel in a traditional manner).
I agree Matus. I think it might have a little more intrusion than some other steels, especially with Western makers, but no where near the reception it will have in the EDC/Sporting knife world.

But we've certainly seen a bump in discussions about MagnaCut in the kitchen knife world.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Matus wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 10:09 am
I wonder if they are looking at ApexUltra? https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/12/02/ ... ife-steel/
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Matus

Post by Matus »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Feb 18, 2022 12:44 pm
I wonder if they are looking at ApexUltra? https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/12/02/ ... ife-steel/
Very much indeed.