Favorite Lock?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rymanz

Re: Favorite Lock?

Post by Rymanz »

My favorite locks are ones that keep my fingers out of the way of the blade upon closing. I still own knives with locks that don't fit that category, but I'm finding myself avoiding them for new purchases.

Top 3:

Compression
Axis
CBBL (pretty similar to axis style locks but stiffer, so it gets nudged to 3rd place)

I thought about combining Axis/CBBL into one category and having OTF as the third place, but I'm not sure how to classify that lock mechanism (if it even counts as a lock mechanism). :thinking

Button locks didn't make the top 3 because it's typically associated with either gravity or assisted/automatic opening. I don't want to have to flick my wrist to open the knife and closing an assisted/auto takes too much deliberate effort (I feel like I'm going to get sliced if I muck it up).
:bug-red
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Love my compression locks and also the mid back lock (endura/pac salt 2 / karahawk). With both I have a very secure lock that I can truly open and close one handed safely.

Another BIG thing for me is mid back locks and compression locks both provide a flat scale under the clip which means no hang ups on my jeans or dress pant pocket edges.

Except for the sebenza (where the lock releif cut is on the inner side of the lock bar) every frame lock I have owned ended up being hard to get out of my pocket when I really needed them.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rymanz wrote:
Sun Feb 13, 2022 11:44 am
My favorite locks are ones that keep my fingers out of the way of the blade upon closing. I still own knives with locks that don't fit that category, but I'm finding myself avoiding them for new purchases.

Top 3:

Compression
Axis
CBBL (pretty similar to axis style locks but stiffer, so it gets nudged to 3rd place)
I may point out again: The backlock also belongs to those who (can) "keep the fingers out of the way of the blade upon closing"
(Not to correct you, it's just that quite some people still don t seem to realize this and so perhaps unnecessesarily stay away from backlocks).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Holland

Post by Holland »

Comp lock for larger knives and backlock for smaller knives.

I like the self close of lock backs for knives I dont always use a clip for.

But honestly, locks take a back seat to the overall design of the knife. It's far down the list when I make a decision on whether to buy a knife or not
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Axis-lock, most comvenient to one hand folding (if without assist spring).
Waiting Spyderco Ambitious s110v axis-lock :grin-smiling-eyes
Last edited by Makunochimaster on Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:49 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Favorite? The snap of a fixed blade into a well made kydex sheath.

But as for folders, compression lock and back lock for me. Both good, with different pros and cons.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

When I was first looking into getting a "good" knife, I checked out the Spyderco case in a local Cabela's. I had zero interest in the backlocks, skipped right over a Native 5, Endura, and possibly a Delica. Not interested, too old, already had that in my Buck knives, etc.

I went for the flashier compression lock, in a Sage 5 LW. I liked it, it was cool, flicky, and fidgety... for a few minutes. After a short while, it lost the fun factor for me.

My daughter got a Mini-Griptilian, and I thought that was more fun. Wanting to stick with Spyderco I got a Manix, and ended up with both the LW and G-10. I liked the CBBL better than the compression lock.

Then I went on a bit of a salt & serrated kick, and got a Pacific Salt 2 SE, Dragonfly Salt SE, Endela, Rockjumper.

That batch got me more into backlocks, specifically Spyderco's mid-backlocks, which are a different animal than the Bucks I used to carry.

With those, I've come to like mid-backlocks the best in general. I like the strong close-bias, and honestly find them more fidgetable than the compression lock. The compression lock can often just feel like click-clack-click-clack-click-clack; losing my interest as a fidget-distraction. I get a different type of feeling from slow-rolling a backlock and feeling the strong click into place; then closing it with a few variations. I honestly feel the mid-backlock is more fidgety to me than the other locks.

I'd say the CBBL is second for me, then the compression lock, then I guess the RIL (framelock). The Spydiechef is one of my favorite knives, but I don't love the framelock.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

The compression lock on my BHQ Sage Lightweight in M4. Not to be confused with my Crucarta PM2, which pops and needs to find another home. I still have probably 10-12 comp lock Spydies left. At my peak had way more, and about 1/2 had poppy locks.

When they’re good, they’re good. Wish there was more QC and consistency within each drop, though based on comments it seems Taichung might have figured it out with the M4 Sage.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Talking about specific locks - the compression lock on my Sage 5 LW is very nice. Comfortable, smooth, drop-shutty, everything one thinks a compression lock should be.

The compression lock on my Caribbean though; that one is a beast. Much stiffer/stronger than the one on my Sage 5 LW. I have fair finger strength, never any issues with my Manixes. But I could feel the Caribbean's compression lock all the way to the bone of my index finger - not kidding. I had a persistent tingling in the tip of my finger for a few months; I honestly thought it may be permanent nerve damage. It's too big for me to EDC anyway, so I rarely use it, so the tingling eventually went away.

I did find that it's a bit easier closing it similar to a backlock as discussed earlier, pushing sideways with my thumb.

Jason
Jason

Current Rotation:
Pacific Salt 2 PE (H1)
Spydiechef
Stretch 2 (K390)
Chaparral LW
Dragonfly 2 Salt SE (Bonus 2nd blade!)
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

The comp lock has dethroned the axis as my favorite lock. Sheer excellence.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Backlock.
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:07 am
Rymanz wrote:

Top 3:

Compression
Axis
I may point out again: The backlock also belongs to those who (can) "keep the fingers out of the way of the blade upon closing"
(Not to correct you, it's just that quite some people still don t seem to realize this and so perhaps unnecessesarily stay away from backlocks).
I suppose I should have added the clarification of being able to close the knife one-handed and keep fingers out of the way of the blade. I have yet to find a fluid way to close a backlock in that manner. There are of course ways for some, but I'm not looking to become a finger gymnast just to close my pocketknife :grin-smiling-eyes
Models: PM2, Endura 4, Chaparral, Para 3 LW, Rescue 3, Para 3, Shaman, Manix 2, Native 5
Steels: Elmax, S30V, XHP, 4V, VG-10, CPM CRU-WEAR, K390, Z-WEAR, S45VN, 204P, REX 45
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Rymanz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Rymanz wrote:

Top 3:

Compression
Axis
I suppose I should have added the clarification of being able to close the knife one-handed and keep fingers out of the way of the blade. I have yet to find a fluid way to close a backlock in that manner. There are of course ways for some, but I'm not looking to become a finger gymnast just to close my pocketknife :grin-smiling-eyes
You will find a lot of guys on here prefer the method with their pointer finger in the spydie hole and all their fingers out of the way. I learned the drop the knife on the finger method. I tend to prefer the backlock now whereas I used to only want a compression lock.

I use the Glesser Method.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:18 pm
You will find a lot of guys on here prefer the method with their pointer finger in the spydie hole and all their fingers out of the way. I learned the drop the knife on the finger method. I tend to prefer the backlock now whereas I used to only want a compression lock.

Are you still able to do that maneuver with a model with no choil (i.e. Delica, Endura, Endela)? I hesitate to get in the habit of relying on the choil to catch my finger, and then get bit when closing one without it. My first "big-boy" knife was a backlock that didn't have a choil and it ended up biting me this exact way a couple times before I submitted to closing with two hands. Probably part of the reason why I have a healthy respect for closing backlock knives.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Rymanz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:42 pm
Are you still able to do that maneuver with a model with no choil (i.e. Delica, Endura, Endela)? I hesitate to get in the habit of relying on the choil to catch my finger, and then get bit when closing one without it. My first "big-boy" knife was a backlock that didn't have a choil and it ended up biting me this exact way a couple times before I submitted to closing with two hands. Probably part of the reason why I have a healthy respect for closing backlock knives.
Yes you can! I mostly carry an Endela or Endura. Occasionally Rock Jumper that can all be closed this way. And yes, the Delica will close this way too. I do not have any back locks from other makers, so I am not too worried about forgetting. But honestly, I throw in other lock types often in my rotation and I have never tried closing it as if it were a different lock type, but I understand the concern.

- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Rymanz

Post by Rymanz »

JSumm wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:57 pm
Yes you can! I mostly carry an Endela or Endura. Occasionally Rock Jumper that can all be closed this way. And yes, the Delica will close this way too. I do not have any back locks from other makers, so I am not too worried about forgetting. But honestly, I throw in other lock types often in my rotation and I have never tried closing it as if it were a different lock type, but I understand the concern.
Thank you for the explanation and video. Might try that out and see if it takes.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Rymanz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 7:42 pm
JSumm wrote:

I don't like using that method because it's pretty easy to cut yourself with certain designs like the Siren and XL Voyagers. Works well with Enduras etc. because the kick is pretty large.

I feel like lockback designs may be getting held back to a degree by this methods popularity. I think we'd have seen edges to the handle in lockbacks more often and earlier in Spyderco history otherwise.

Either way here's two alternative methods for closing lockbacks one handed.

https://streamable.com/cfrai7

The first is the method I use every day. I find it a lot faster than the Glesser method.

Method #2 is an easy way to keep your fingers 100% out of the way like with a compression lock. The second one is fun to do sometimes but with most knives I use method #1. On the Siren I prefer #2 because the prominent guard gets in the way a bit using #1.

Some lockbacks are easier to swing shut using the #2 method than others. Tough on a Chief, easy on an Endura.

I keep my pivots pretty tight compared to most and have no issues using any of these three methods with my lockbacks.
:unicorn
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

JSumm wrote:
Thats how I do it.

Regardless of closing method, lock type, or whether the blade goes all the way to the handle, if a blade is capable of closing and cutting your index finger, should it be on the handle, I consider it an inferior design to knives that don't. Accidents do happen, and this is an important safety feature to me, should a lock fail to engage, or slip for some reason.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Rymanz wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 6:57 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Rymanz wrote:

I know, that´s what I understood: One handed, fingers all the time out of the way of the blade:

You don´t have to become a "finger gymnast" to do this with a backlock. Just do it like this (shown one time slow, two times normal speed): https://streamable.com/j7fjd [Edit: Vivi shows the same method in his vid]. Perhaps you have to try and practice a few times before it feels easy and natural though.

I may be very well wrong on this, but still:
More and more I think when it comes to locks there are some things that get repeated again and again and people start to believe those things, without really checking if they are actually true for them personally (NOT talking bout you, Rymanz! It´s just a general theory of mine, and not more than that: A theory!)
- One could be, that it would be really important to keep the fingers all the time out of the blade path. When realistically it is almost impossible to get cut by a backlock knife that has choil or ricasso when closing it like this https://streamable.com/bhhzs (works great, but admittedly the knife is not perfectly safe in hand) or this https://streamable.com/myzlt or with the "Glesser method"
- While it seldom gets mentioned that the "fingers all the time of the blade path methods" put the knife less safe in hand in return (can potentially become an issue with cold or wet hands, in stress situations or whatever)
- Another is the "myth" that backlocks can´t be closed at all with "fingers all the time out the blade path". So people hardly ever see how (easily) this works, never try, never get used to that method

-
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

We’re doing a major reno on are place later this year and I’m thinking we’ll prolly change out all the doors too.

I’ve been looking at the lock below and was wondering if we’ll be able to open and close it without loosing our finger as it seems more complicated than your average lock.

Anyone have any tips or preferred methods on opening and closing this lock?

Gernot, do you think it’ll be safe to close it one handed or is it likely to be tricky and complicated like closing a back lock knife? Also do you have any tips on the quickest way to open and close this lock also one handed? :winking-tongue Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha!

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin