Montbell Pirka

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zenheretic

Montbell Pirka

Post by zenheretic »

Anyone have access to the spyderwiki? I notice the super rare Montbell Pirka isn't in it. Would be a shame to not have that little back alley footnote in the records.

Super short story. There was a sporting goods supplier called Montbell who specialized in outdoor goods. Many from Japan. . Roughly the size of the Delica with unique blade grind, and used the generation 1 frn handles.

Correction an anciet Paul post reminded me: "Interesting story here. These knives were made by Spyderco, exclusively for a Japanese chain named Mont-Bell, which happens to have stores in the USA as well. They were not suppose to be sold in the US, but apparently Mont-Bell made a mistake and some were sent here, and sold."

In 2006, someone mentioned it on this Forum.

Spyderco put a stop to the selling of it.

Very few floating about in the wild.
SpyderNut

Re: Montbell Pirka

Post by SpyderNut »

Good to see you back, Zen. Interesting story on the Mont-Bell. I imagine Kyle will likely chime in. I think he's still one of the primary folks involved with keeping spyderwiki updated.

Btw, do you still have that marvelous collection of Ronins? I always enjoyed seeing pictures of those.

Take care,

Michael
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

SpyderNut wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:04 pm
Good to see you back, Zen. Interesting story on the Mont-Bell. I imagine Kyle will likely chime in. I think he's still one of the primary folks involved with keeping spyderwiki updated.

Btw, do you still have that marvelous collection of Ronins? I always enjoyed seeing pictures of those.

Take care,

Michael
I've cut back.

:hand-over-mouth
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Good to see you again Zen! And for those who've never seen one, here's a photo of the Pirka...

mont-bell.jpg

...It combined the handle of the FRN Pro-Grip with a blade shape most similar to the C26 Snap-It.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 6:16 am
...And for those who've never seen one, here's a photo of the Pirka...
...It combined the handle of the FRN Pro-Grip with a blade shape most similar to the C26 Snap-It.

Wow, neat. Thanks for showing. It looks like a proto Caly.

For those who don't ultralight backpack, Mont-Bell is a very desirable (and usually expensive) brand of outdoor gear. I don't own much of it, because it's too fancy for a dirt clod such as myself! But high quality and light weight.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Zive

Post by Zive »

I would pick up a reprised version in FFG and modern steel.

Maybe that’s an Urban, though?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

It looks a lot like a smaller spyderco flatiron.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Zive wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 9:34 pm
I would pick up a reprised version in FFG and modern steel.

Maybe that’s an Urban, though?

I'm not sure what would it bring to the table that the Delica 4 and Salt 2 do not offer. I have to wonder how many folks would still want a knife with an integral FRN clip. Not to mention the Kraton insert in the handle, since that material has proven itself prone to disintegrate after a few years of use.
Paul
zenheretic

Post by zenheretic »

It does have an attractive grind, but the Deacon is right in that the Delica, which seems just a bit longer and not as much booty, does everything this one does, and with the 4 way reversible clip, more.

I had two of this rare bird. One of those things that just isn't exciting to many because of "plastic".
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fantastic little knife. It comes up here every few years and I always like the look of it a lot.

I wonder if the LeafJumper will essentially be its successor?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It looks hollow ground. Is it? I've never seen one of these. I could see a place for this in the lineup, unless the Delica with the hollow grind that is forthcoming will take its place. In any case, that is a good looking knife. If I had a choice, I'd make the hollow grind a little higher.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Zive

Post by Zive »

The Deacon wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:42 pm

I'm not sure what would it bring to the table that the Delica 4 and Salt 2 do not offer. I have to wonder how many folks would still want a knife with an integral FRN clip. Not to mention the Kraton insert in the handle, since that material has proven itself prone to disintegrate after a few years of use.
I completely agree that a re-release in the original configuration would be a slow mover.

The blade shape (specifically the pronounced belly) is what makes it stand out to me. I know there’s a lot of competition in this size of folder from Spyderco’s current product line, but if this were brought back in volcano FRN with a wire clip I would pick one up even though I own several Delicas and a Salt 2.

I’m not about to make a “no I won’t shut up” thread demanding one, but I would put my money down if it became available again in VG-10 or better.
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

SpyderNut wrote:
I was unfamiliar with this knife until Rich (Candyman) posted it on a Facebook group the other day. I haven't been to involved in maintaining the Spydiewiki lately, but certainly can add an entry for this.

Seeing as how it doesn't have a SKU, any suggestions for how it should be organized/categorized?
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

jabba359 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:41 am
SpyderNut wrote:
I haven't been to involved in maintaining the Spydiewiki lately, but certainly can add an entry for this.

Seeing as how it doesn't have a SKU, any suggestions for how it should be organized/categorized?
Kyle the entry for the Pirka is already done ...
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Peter1960 wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:06 pm
jabba359 wrote:
I haven't been to involved in maintaining the Spydiewiki lately, but certainly can add an entry for this.

Kyle the entry for the Pirka is already done ...
Ah, I found it. I didn't see it indexed anywhere, but it shows up in the search function: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... irka_Knife
-Kyle

Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

You find it in „Spyderco other products and merchandise“.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

jabba359 wrote:
SpyderNut wrote:
I was unfamiliar with this knife until Rich (Candyman) posted it on a Facebook group the other day. I haven't been to involved in maintaining the Spydiewiki lately, but certainly can add an entry for this.

Glad to hear you and Peter were able to get this sorted. Always cool to find a piece of Spyderco history. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It's been indexed on this page: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... erchandise , which appears to be a collection page for items that don't fit in the other established categories.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-28-2024 Instagram
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:15 am
It's been indexed on this page: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?ti ... erchandise , which appears to be a collection page for items that don't fit in the other established categories.
I didn't look there, as I recalled it being a page of non-knife items. Guess the Pirka snuck in there as the only knife. :winking-tongue
-Kyle

The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

jabba359 wrote:

One possibility would be to have a category for Japanese Domestic Market models. Granted, most of the entries would just be JDM variants of regular models but, IIRC, the Pirka is not the only "JDM exclusive" model.
Paul