2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: 2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Post by abbazaba »

Thanks for the write up and the pics!
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Thanks so much. How’s the lock release? My danger pickle had a clunky, poppy lock. Bothered me so much I sold it. Hoping the Stovepipe is smooth.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

You’re welcome guys, my pleasure. The lock is very smooth, no issues, no lock stick, and solid lockup. The RIL scale is so thick (and carbidized), I’m not worried at all about its long-term functionality. I’ve thankfully not had too many instances of Taichung lock stick, at least ones that didn’t wear in properly with some use. Sorry to hear about your Bombshell MN, the lock on mine is pretty much the same as the Stovepipe with no issues.

Edited to add this pic: this is where my fingers most comfortably land on the handle. I’m 6’4” tall with fairly large hands. The handle is Para 3-sized (thereabouts).

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Sounds like there’s a Stovepipe in my future, then! Appreciate it
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

You know what, another thread just made me realise something.
Screenshot_20220209-085503_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220209-085256_Chrome.jpg
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 am
I love this, even if i cant stop imagining a Breeden Rescue dipped in robot sauce. I will sell knives to fund this if only to support the absence of a lanyard hole. Thank [insert faith] that the clip is straight down the handle, i lose sleep over the skewed clips that cowtow to lanyard gapes.
I just saw where you mentioned it. Thats what I get for not reading the thread.

Crazy thing is I would rather have the rescue.
RadioactiveSpyder

Current listing on eBay (certainly not mine, I don’t sell anything on eBay) and only twice the amount as the Stovepipe MAP price!

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

🤮
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 4:26 pm
Current listing on eBay (certainly not mine, I don’t sell anything on eBay) and only twice the amount as the Stovepipe MAP price!

Who could ruin a Breeden rescue like that?
Terrible.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

•• Beau
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:17 am
Cheddarnut wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:25 am
I love this, even if i cant stop imagining a Breeden Rescue dipped in robot sauce. I will sell knives to fund this if only to support the absence of a lanyard hole. Thank [insert faith] that the clip is straight down the handle, i lose sleep over the skewed clips that cowtow to lanyard gapes.
I just saw where you mentioned it. Thats what I get for not reading the thread.

Crazy thing is I would rather have the rescue.
You were thinking Breeden, not readin'. All good :squinting-tongue
As an aside, i remember holding the Breeden and not lovin the ergos, kinda makes me nervous...
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Just got a Stovepipe in yesterday, really loving this one! The hollow grind is deep and super thin behind the edge, lockup is super smooth, ergos work well w/ my hands (but I am tempted to melt the handle edges just to make it comfier)...
jdw

Post by jdw »

I’ve had a couple of days to handle mine and there are a lot of different ways to hold the knife and not all of them are comfortable. I can find at least a couple of grips that are pretty comfortable but it doesn’t really fall into my hand intuitively. I can see where people with a lot of different hand sizes can find a grip that works for them though. Did I mention that there are a lot of sharp edges? I don’t have the skill to melt the handle edges but that’s an excellent idea. I haven’t really cut anything but a few boxes for fun and to test the grips but I really don’t expect the knife to be a user. It’s more comfortable loose in the pocket than I expected and it is really easy to retrieve. Overall I like the knife and believe that it’s probably worth the money just given the intricacies of the design and machining alone.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
SG89

Post by SG89 »

DigDug72 wrote:
Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:30 am
Just got a Stovepipe in yesterday, really loving this one! The hollow grind is deep and super thin behind the edge, lockup is super smooth, ergos work well w/ my hands (but I am tempted to melt the handle edges just to make it comfier)...
Looking forward to seeing what you do to it!
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
RadioactiveSpyder

I’ve been carrying mine for several days now, and I agree that rounding off basically every pointed corner on the handles would really help the ergos quite a bit. Not to say that it’s uncomfortable as it is, but there is some room for improvement there. I’ve pretty much settled on the best grip for me, but smoothing it over a wee bit would help. The build quality is extremely high, don’t get me wrong, there’s a lot to like, especially the blade’s phenomenal hollow grind.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

Lol got to be the most unpocketable pocket knife yet. Does it come in a Philips head version yet?
Last edited by Mike G on Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RadioactiveSpyder

Last edited by RadioactiveSpyder on Fri Feb 11, 2022 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mike G

Post by Mike G »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:42 am
It’s highly pocketable. Lol. Do you have one? If not, how would you even know?
Video reviews, saw it in person at shot show. My opinion remains the same. Enjoy if you have one or buying one. I respect the designer, but this is not a design that I find appealing at all. Well made, sure. Quality materials, sure. Pocketable? Not really, way too tall, literally takes up half your pocket opening. That is not my definition of pocketable so either you have huge pants pockets or tiny hands. Ideally with this design, I suppose you’d better have both. :squinting-tongue
RadioactiveSpyder

I’m pretty sure holding it at SHOT show and watching video reviews isn’t going to help one bit in determining its pocketability. The horn slips fully into the crevice of your pocket along the seam, and the knife takes up no more room in my non-tiny pockets than a Para 3 does and my large hands have zero issue retrieving it. The clip is also very well-designed and functions great. Thanks for your insights though.
Danke

Post by Danke »

Sure is a love hate knife. All I find weird is the amount of hyperbole & negative energy people want to put out over a knife they claim they don't want.

I am going to suggest a marketing test. Change the price of these to $50 and make all the other knives more expensive to balance the books.