2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Gsg9

Re: 2022 Reveal — Stovepipe Thread C260TIP

Post by Gsg9 »

RamZar wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:45 pm
Ric wrote:
Mon Jan 31, 2022 10:31 pm
In Europe it costs 600€ = 674 USD

Why so much?

$420 = €374 + 20% VAT = €449

There seems to be some new luxury pricing treatment applied for these in Europe and I think Spyderco is no stranger to this.

600EUR for a weird looking piece for which they didn't bother adding a steel insert because of their feelings, sorry to say but whoever's doing pricing in there has lost their marbles, you can get 2 nicely done pieces from the competition for this price.

Same approach for Damasteel Urban, 280$=249EUR + 20% VAT = 299EUR, so just adding VAT should be around 300EUR, adding 26% should be 313EUR. Still, it's advertised for around 400EUR and that is a small slipjoint made in EU with EU steel that ends-up selling in EU for 60% more compared to US. Mind boggling...
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Smokey Mountain Knifeworks... https://www.smkw.com/spyderco-stovepipe-titanium

Edit: Gone now
Last edited by Buddafucco on Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Last edited by Buddafucco on Thu Feb 03, 2022 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
•• Beau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Already OOS at EdgeWorks, NorthWest Knives, M&D Tactical, and National Knives.

Makes me wonder how many pieces each dealer gets.

I guess there is a lot of demand from folks that wanted to sample a Rydbom custom at a lower price.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:46 pm

Already OOS at EdgeWorks, NorthWest Knives, M&D Tactical, and National Knives.

Makes me wonder how many pieces each dealer gets.

I guess there is a lot of demand from folks that wanted to sample a Rydbom custom at a lower price.

The dealers are only getting a handful or so right now. After the handfuls are all shipped they'll start shipping orders with larger quantities.
Here's a nice little blog post DLTtrading put up a couple years ago that explains some of it... https://blog.dlttrading.com/spyderco-sp ... he-scenes/
•• Beau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Thanks for the blog post link. Gauging demand for new models is indeed tricky. I was expecting the Stovepipe to stay in stock longer as some folks commented that they were ugly and overpriced.

They still haven't dropped at my preferred dealer so I have literally been on the edge of my seat all week waiting for an email notification and refreshing their site. Alas, there are only a handful of online retailers that ship to my part of the globe.

But as the DLT post mentioned, at the end of the day, it's a knife, not some life-saving medicine, so I have accepted the possibility of missing out on it.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

mikey177 wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:13 pm
Thanks for the blog post link. Gauging demand for new models is indeed tricky. I was expecting the Stovepipe to stay in stock longer as some folks commented that they were ugly and overpriced.

They still haven't dropped at my preferred dealer so I have literally been on the edge of my seat all week waiting for an email notification and refreshing their site. Alas, there are only a handful of online retailers that ship to my part of the globe.

But as the DLT post mentioned, at the end of the day, it's a knife, not some life-saving medicine, so I have accepted the possibility of missing out on it.

So the article is about Sprint Runs but as far as I'm aware, regular production works very similar and the Stovepipe is regular production. So you might get a few chances at it from your dealer.
•• Beau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Yes, thanks. I'm sure I'll end up with one eventually :smlling-eyes
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I’m guessing they made a decent size initial batch of these, but unfortunately it will be quite a bit before another run is made in Taichung. This was the case when the Slysz Bowie was still available. Again, just a guess, but if folks can’t track one down soon, it won’t be until late summer or fall when another batch shows up. With the high level of intricacy on this one, I suspect they’re not being made on a daily basis over there. Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
DigDug72

Post by DigDug72 »

Hey, just a heads up that they're in stock still at North Rivers Outdoors, and they don't collect sales tax there. Also, if you put it in the cart but let it sit for a day they'll email you a 5% discount code incentive to complete the purchase, which works out to be about $20 off...
Molle Ninja

Post by Molle Ninja »

Anyone get one of these yet?
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Molle Ninja wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:32 pm

I know, 7 pages and not one forum pic!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

I saw one while I was at the SFO on Saturday. I didn't hold it because I was afraid I would want it... It looked really nice in person rather than in the pics/video I have seen.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Molle Ninja wrote:

In the "Excited for the Stovepipe" thread, jdw mentioned that he got one.

jdw wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:40 am
I have been pretty vocally skeptical about this knife but the more that I have read about David Rydbom, the craftsmanship, and the historical thoughtfulness that went into the design and build of this knife I caved in and ordered one yesterday from NK. I hope that I am not buying into a bunch of hype because I went from being skeptical to being intrigued by the knife.
jdw

Post by jdw »

mikey177 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 9:26 am
Molle Ninja wrote:

In the "Excited for the Stovepipe" thread, jdw mentioned that he got one.

jdw wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:40 am
I have been pretty vocally skeptical about this knife but the more that I have read about David Rydbom, the craftsmanship, and the historical thoughtfulness that went into the design and build of this knife I caved in and ordered one yesterday from NK. I hope that I am not buying into a bunch of hype because I went from being skeptical to being intrigued by the knife.

Mine is supposed to arrive later today. I am excited to get it but the last time that I bought a knife on a whim like this it was a Swayback and I ended up being pretty disappointed in it, but I have higher hopes for this one. I will gladly share some thoughts on the Stovepipe with you guys when I get it though and have a chance to check it out. I would love to hear others thoughts on it as well once they all start rolling in.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RadioactiveSpyder

Mine is also out for delivery today. I’ll definitely be posting pics and impressions (I’m guessing they’ll be highly positive now that I’m mostly over the sticker shock).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

troutinCO wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:33 am
I saw one while I was at the SFO on Saturday. I didn't hold it because I was afraid I would want it... It looked really nice in person rather than in the pics/video I have seen.
I held it when I visited last week and am glad I did. It's a beautiful piece, but does not fit my hand at all. All the finger contouring seemed to hit in just the wrong place for me.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jdw

Post by jdw »

jabba359 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:45 am
troutinCO wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 8:33 am
I held it when I visited last week and am glad I did. It's a beautiful piece, but does not fit my hand at all. All the finger contouring seemed to hit in just the wrong place for me.
That’s my main problem with the Swayback. It’s well made and is a really beautiful knife but it is all wrong for my hand.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
RadioactiveSpyder

OK folks, here it is! Quite the incredible piece out of Taichung, and man have they nailed those thin BTE hollow grinds, this things tapers down to a scalpel. Excellent fit and finish as you’d expect from the price tag, Spyderco and David Rydbom. Nearly identical in size to the Bombshell and aside from the horn, pretty much exactly as wide in the pocket. I’d say if it tickles your fancy, grab one while you can since the jackals are already inflating the price of them on eBay. If you can’t find one at MAP, I definitely recommend waiting for the next batch versus paying a hundred or two extra from those clowns. I’ll post more on it after I spend some time with it, but I do find my hand basically fits the handle one way with my forefinger at the position of the lockbar relief cutout (where the indent on the handle is) and my pinky on that last little curve on the rear. It’s not the most ergonomic and comfortable of Spyderco’s offerings but it’s certainly not uncomfortable or unusable to me — I do hesitate to put it into the rotation due to its relative rarity and price, but I do indeed EDC my Bombshell, which IS an ergonomic delight of a pickle. Cheers, Radioactive