Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Meadowlark

Re: Caly 3.5 Light Weight: Any News?

Post by Meadowlark »

z1r wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:45 pm
Baron Mind wrote:
Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:17 pm
After handling my fair share of Spyderco FRN models, I am pretty firmly in the linerless camp. The weight reduction, and the improved balance makes me reach for my linerless models much more often. Handle is still plenty rigid. There are certain models where liners make sense, but for edc knives, I prefer linerless.
That's been my experience as well. The only possible downside is that these can sometimes be less fidgety, but that's not a real concern of mine, but will bother some folk.
When people mention fidgety/fidget factor are they referencing their proclivity to play with the knives?

I'm not being a smart aleck rather I'm curious as to what they mean because, if that's the reference, it's never been a consideration for me and I don't understand it.

My belief is the Delica, Endela and Endura family with their skeletonized liners are still solidly in the LW camp; they're marketed as such and, while remaining LW, confer a rigidity for hard (esp lateral) use that within linerless frn knives seems weaker.

I hope the Caly 3.5 LW employs skeletonized liners like the traditional Japanese LW families.

Can't wait!
linuxology

Post by linuxology »

I'm in for one of these and still waiting. A vote for a no to VG-10.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

linuxology wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:13 am

Ditto that.

Have money saved away for a LW Caly or three, either nested or linerless, and would vastly prefer an upgrade to VG-10.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

VG10 is a really well balanced steel, which some of the "upgrades" are not. I hope it will not be too long before we see this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

Maybe this model is close enough to production to allow some sort of "reveal" regarding liner design / construction and blade steel?

I hope it's soon, too.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I'd happily buy VG-10 "basic" version and wait for hap40, V-Toku2 and superblue sprints.
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:45 pm
linuxology wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:13 am

Ditto that.

Have money saved away for a LW Caly or three, either nested or linerless, and would vastly prefer an upgrade to VG-10.
Me three, I'd pretty much always rather pay a few bucks more for an SxxV(N) base steel. I'm not even real picky about which one, they all make a strong showing as balanced user steels.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I too am following this one. If the lightweight came out, it would keep me from buying the CF ZDP-189 version some time in the future. This model would save me money by buying it. That's how I look at it.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
z1r

Post by z1r »

Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 am
z1r wrote:
Baron Mind wrote:
After handling my fair share of Spyderco FRN models, I am pretty firmly in the linerless camp. The weight reduction, and the improved balance makes me reach for my linerless models much more often. Handle is still plenty rigid. There are certain models where liners make sense, but for edc knives, I prefer linerless.
That's been my experience as well. The only possible downside is that these can sometimes be less fidgety, but that's not a real concern of mine, but will bother some folk.
When people mention fidgety/fidget factor are they referencing their proclivity to play with the knives?

I'm not being a smart aleck rather I'm curious as to what they mean because, if that's the reference, it's never been a consideration for me and I don't understand it.

My belief is the Delica, Endela and Endura family with their skeletonized liners are still solidly in the LW camp; they're marketed as such and, while remaining LW, confer a rigidity for hard (esp lateral) use that within linerless frn knives seems weaker.

I hope the Caly 3.5 LW employs skeletonized liners like the traditional Japanese LW families.

Can't wait!
The way I interpret Fidget Factor, is ease of opening, specifically knives that can be flicked open very easily and in some cases , as with the Manix 2 and knives with Compression locks, closed just as easily. Think drop shutty and maybe even drop open. I know folks that will not buy a knife they feel doesn't posses enough fidget factor. I prefer a knife I know won't come open in my pocket. Never had any of my Spydie backblocks come open, but also never had a Ball Bearing lock or Compression lock do so either. I can appreciate fidgety knives but don't require them. My Endela opens easily enough with a thumb flick and closes when I want it to. Works for me.

My current EDC is an Endela. If the Caly 3.5 was made in a LW, it just might take over that role.

I probably wouldn't buy a LW Caly with VG10. But never say never.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Looking forward to this one and I have no problem with VG10. I haven't owned a Caly before, and I was about to pull the trigger on the current model before I heard about the LW.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

z1r wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:08 am
Meadowlark wrote:
Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:15 am
z1r wrote:
Baron Mind wrote:

Can't wait!
The way I interpret Fidget Factor, is ease of opening, specifically knives that can be flicked open very easily and in some cases , as with the Manix 2 and knives with Compression locks, closed just as easily. Think drop shutty and maybe even drop open. I know folks that will not buy a knife they feel doesn't posses enough fidget factor. I prefer a knife I know won't come open in my pocket. Never had any of my Spydie backblocks come open, but also never had a Ball Bearing lock or Compression lock do so either. I can appreciate fidgety knives but don't require them. My Endela opens easily enough with a thumb flick and closes when I want it to. Works for me.

My current EDC is an Endela. If the Caly 3.5 was made in a LW, it just might take over that role.

I probably wouldn't buy a LW Caly with VG10. But never say never.
Hmm, I see. Thanks for clarifying.

Vg-10 is fine with me I just want those skeletonized liners!
sal

Post by sal »

While the knife is in-the-works, I need to inform you that this is the original maker of the Caly line. They are a small factory and cannot deliver large quantities at one time. We will get a few hundred per month. We can keep them coming, but it may not be as quickly as some might like. Sorry about that, but it is what it is.

I believe the design is sound and will serve a particular niche market. The FRN has grip and it's less expensive than G-10 or Carbon Fiber. It's a fairly large blade for the size of the package. We can do colors and steels.

We'd like to keep the model in the line as long as the maker can make them. I'm expecting a couple of samples for Gail and me soon. So I don't think it will be too long before we can begin shipping. I'll know more in a few weeks.

sal
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Great news. I loved mine a long time ago, back in the day, and will surely love this one as well. I'm very eager to see the specs/weight. I know the blade will be fantastic in a knife this size.
Matus

Post by Matus »

The way that is worded is sounds like the Caly line is made by an external company, not Spyderco themselves, but maybe I am reading it wrong.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Matus wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 2:22 am
The way that is worded is sounds like the Caly line is made by an external company, not Spyderco themselves, but maybe I am reading it wrong.

Caly is made in Japan and unless management changes or DPRK or China will nuke Japan they will always be made in that shop.

With prices will always go up policy CF and G10 options seem to be gone now (a CF ZDP is around 242$/262-331EUR if you can find one) and seem to be replaced by lightcheapweight, because the price has to come down not the actual weight in order to sell, firstly in base steel and probably black FRN then colors and steels and exclusives
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Excited about the LW Caly 3.5 and any variations that come down the pipe in the future! :bug-red-white
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

sal wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:37 am
While the knife is in-the-works, I need to inform you that this is the original maker of the Caly line. They are a small factory and cannot deliver large quantities at one time. We will get a few hundred per month. We can keep them coming, but it may not be as quickly as some might like. Sorry about that, but it is what it is.

I believe the design is sound and will serve a particular niche market. The FRN has grip and it's less expensive than G-10 or Carbon Fiber. It's a fairly large blade for the size of the package. We can do colors and steels.

We'd like to keep the model in the line as long as the maker can make them. I'm expecting a couple of samples for Gail and me soon. So I don't think it will be too long before we can begin shipping. I'll know more in a few weeks.

sal
Hi Sal,

If in keeping with the original maker can one assume the only difference will be frn over the g10 and the internals will remain the same? Or will the original full skeletonized liners be replaced with either nested or linerless frn?

Thanks
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Meadowlark,

There are some changes, and some is the same. I'll give you more information when I receive my samples.

sal
Meadowlark

Post by Meadowlark »

I appreciate it, the Calypso/Caly family is awesome.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Sal - are they going to be screw construction?