PM2 steel, only one knife

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mreagan

PM2 steel, only one knife

Post by mreagan »

I’d like to buy only one more knife, a PM2. I have a WATU for EDC at the office that I love, a Siren for fishing (en route), an the best, a Native 5 for everything. I’d like to get a large carry. While the Shaman is great from reviews, the Pm2 has more options and availability. Thoughts on REX45 currently available or wait for a cru? Edge retention and toughness are primary considerations, as I have a Siren. Is there really a big difference between the two, or should I get one at the best price? Thanks.

Matt
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
mreagan

Re: PM2 steel, only one knife

Post by mreagan »

Correction. I will be picking some Mules, and maybe a Native 5 spirit run if it hits the right boxes.
Matt

:bug-red-white , Watu, PM2 Crucarta, Shaman, Caribbean, SpydieChef, Ikuchi, Chaparral, Manix 2, Native 5, Siren, Delica 4, Kapara, Manix 2 Maxamet, Raven 2
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am yet to inflict any relevant damage to my k390. I think I would be equally happy with the new CruWear - especially given that they seem to have a fairly high HRC and perform very well. Plus not being a Sprint run or exclusive is always an advantage.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Full spyderedge. Or a black/black s30v.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
vivi

Post by vivi »

Rex45 is a very nice steel with excellent edge retention, I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

Seems between the Watu and Siren you have some pretty corrosion resistant options, so something like Rex45 or M4 would be a good pick for the PM2 IMO.
:unicorn
Matus

Post by Matus »

Just as a motivation :)

https://youtu.be/a-YPAEXxkbY
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

REX45 is fantastic and will not disappoint in anything other than corrosion resistance IME.

Only one more? And then one more... Ha! I only bought knives one at a time too ;)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

If toughness is a chief concern, don’t dismiss 52100. PM2s in this steel can be had in the secondary market.

While no slouch in edge-retention, 52100 certainly isn’t K390, Rex45, or even Cruwear. But its sharpening-response includes the telltale stickiness (right there with LC200N). With its small carbides, 52100 can be taken to a scary-sharp edge [EDIT TO ADD: in the field with just a spare brown Sharpmaker rod].

In a utility knife with a pronounced distal taper like the PM2, I suggest that toughness and sharpening-response are a reassuring combination for a challenging work-environment.

Could you go harder steels in a PM2? Of course. And I have. But if I could have just one PM2, I’d go 52100.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
-Marc (pocketing a JD Smith sprint today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kobold

Post by kobold »

+1 for Rex45. That flimsy part of micarta around the compression lock on the new cruwear model is deterring me.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
z1r

Post by z1r »

kobold wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:23 am
+1 for Rex45. That flimsy part of micarta around the compression lock on the new cruwear model is deterring me.
A lot of people obsess over this but in use, it isn't (hasn't been) an issue. It's not like you apply much pressure in that area during use so I see it as a non-issue.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

REX 45 is pretty cool stuff. So is CruWear. I say get the REX 45 now and CruWear later down the road if you want to give it a try too!
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

One more knife ? Ha ha ha ha ! PM2 knives can be habit forming to some . I’m down to just my lefty but hoping to see a reissue of the Cutlery Shoppe Wharnie . I would consider as suggested to try a non stainless and mix it up a bit . Hope you find what you are looking for . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

I'll second 52100 but when they pop up on the secondary market they are usually rather overpriced. You might get lucky with one. The 52100 combo blade PM2 is a real workhorse. If I had to pick now with steels currently available I'd probably grab one in Rex45.
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

Any idea when the Para 2 Cruwear will be out?
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
kobold

Post by kobold »

z1r wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:34 am
kobold wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:23 am
A lot of people obsess over this but in use, it isn't (hasn't been) an issue. It's not like you apply much pressure in that area during use so I see it as a non-issue.

I think it is a.) too early to say and b.) that it depends on the grip.

Time will tell how that area fatigues in use and how it will resist prolonged wear and tear.
I leave it to the early adopters to answer these questions for me. At least half a year or a full year from now.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
z1r

Post by z1r »

Fair point. If it proves to not be durable, the steel alone makes it worth of custom handles. I know that for me, this will never be an issue. But for those that may EDC a PM2, it could prove to be, only time will tell.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I like custom scales. A little bit too much. :-)
kadinh

Post by kadinh »

I have loved my Cru-Carta model. My vote is for that.
You should never have to ask yourself "do i really need another knife?" The answer is obvious...
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I know one shop that still has crucarta pm2's, 245 +15 shipping +tax :hot-face
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
anycal

Post by anycal »

I don’t have a PM2 in REX 45, but my Native 5 in that steel has has been used pretty hard… for a small folder.

In PM2, K390 is still a favorite,

Peter