"Scope the Edge" project

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Vaugith

Re: "Scope the Edge" project

Post by Vaugith »

Very cool idea Sal, I'd love to follow along and help out in any way I can.
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:20 pm
Kevinim82 wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:13 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:43 pm
I’m fairly slack and view sharpening knives like mowing lawns or washing vehicles.

I usually just grab another knife if the one I want to use is blunt but if nothing else I’ll certainly follow with interest. :cheap-sunglasses
I was really hoping you would “Bloke” this thread. In the states scope is a mouthwash…
If only I knew Kev, if only I knew! Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
Please try smarter, not harder… unless this is a Rockwell thing. 😎
Attachments
8338816D-D5E7-4439-840E-9370F435CA88.jpeg
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

If one of the questions you seek to answer is "Hey let's watch this goofball try and sharpen these then laugh at him as he repeatedly cuts himself." Then I am all in!

Otherwise, I will enthusiastically cheer you fellas on from the sidelines. I'll bring the water (or whiskey). Always learning.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
attila

Post by attila »

I don’t have enough to cut on a regular basis to guarantee that I’d be able to partake in every group experiment, but I’ll gladly volunteer to test theories whenever I can. Count me in!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Sounds very cool. I look forward to the team's various discoveries.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Sounds AWESOME
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I’ve been known to break, fix, and make new things in the name of curiosity. Especially things with edges. I also enjoy learning from others’ testing.
Certainly super interested to see what comes of this, so I’ll be scoping out this thread for more info!
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Glassing Ghosts and/or Glassers?

n.3 ; v.2
Last edited by Airlsee on Tue Jan 25, 2022 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’d definitely be interested. In my mind, the biggest obstacle would be ensuring objectivity, repeatability, etc. for certain data points.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

Neat idea for sure. 👍
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It sounds like a great idea. I want to know more.

However, I like sharp knives but sharpening is simply a chore for me to do when needed. I might not be a great fit for your idea, though I do like to take my magnifier and check my edges, time to time.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Matus

Post by Matus »

This sounds very interesting, I would be interested to participate. I don't consider myself a professional, but I do have enough sharpening options and ability to do some real world testing - in particular when it comes to kitchen knives as there I have more experience with sharpening & using. How much of added information or knowledge I can bring would depend on the details of the assignment :)
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JB Dix

Post by JB Dix »

This sounds very cool. Not sure it would practical to help from Canada, but I have a good sharpening set-up and chase the ghost for fun every week. I'd be happy to contribute as I can.

My sharpening set-up includes:

-TR Maker guided sharpening system with water stones from 240 to 8000, and diamonds from 100 to 2000 with blanks/tape and in 2000, 3000 and 6000 and diamond pastes from 1-6 micron.

-Worksharp Ken onion (usually only for axes)

-Spyderco Sharpmaker, double stuff and Spyderco file set

-Three leather strops.

- Jeweler's loupes and a 100X digital microscope to view and photograph bevels

I have 15 Spyderco folders VG10, S30V, LC20ON, XHP, S110V, REX 45, BD30P, N690, AUS8A, and CPM M4 plus a few dozen other blades in various high end steels.
Take heed, dear heart, of this large privilege; The hardest knife ill-used doth lose his edge. — William Shakespeare
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm bandwidth limited in terms of time, but if I can assist using either my equipment or training, I'm happy to help.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Bumped for continued interest.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Sal, any updates?
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Ippon

Post by Ippon »

This sounds like a very fun project. I am limited on time I am able to commit or else I think this would be an absolute pleasure to participate in.

I hope this goes forward, it has potential to be a very positive for the community I think. I would enjoy reading about not only what is discovered, but also the experience as it goes on.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This was posted in the Ghost Hunting thread, but I thought I'd post it here for more people to see.
sal wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:02 pm
I know it's just a crazy idea from my sideways brain. I think we all can agree that the goal is to seek absolute truth as best we can and share that effort and the results. As I said, this is not well thought out and we'll need to help each other to make it work. I see two questions from the onset. Who will be interested in being part of the research team, all part time naturally. The 2nd is to begin a list of the questions that we have that might be an interesting study. As usual, I am open to all thought.

sal

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ghost hunters scope the edge
ZrowsN1s wrote: I'm adding that to my signature line sal :beaming-face

I'm going to share this post in the 'Scope the edge' thread.

You know I'm interested in participating. Some of the things I'd like to know are questions and topics that I've debated with my fellow forumites since I joined.

What are the advantages/disadvantages of polished vs coarse edges (initial sharpness, quality/smoothness of cut, aggression of cut, loss of initial sharpness, working edge performance, performance in cutting different materials).

Same question for PE vs SE.

I'd love to do some tests that can show the superiority of hawkbills for some tasks.

The performance of different types of stropping. How long can you go between sharpenings? Whats the drop in the performance curve look like after each stropping session?
I'll volunteer myself to try and make a list of volunteers and possible research topics posted here.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

No one has any ideas for a research topic? I find that hard to believe. You probably just missed sals post.

"...... I see two questions from the onset. Who will be interested in being part of the research team, all part time naturally. The 2nd is to begin a list of the questions that we have that might be an interesting study. As usual, I am open to all thought.

sal
"

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Thanx for the support. I guess we'll see?

sal