Best steel for these machetes

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SpydieFlicker

Re: Best steel for these machetes

Post by SpydieFlicker »

Thanks to everyone for replying! I really liked your post Mike Slayer, it was full of stuff I didn't know.
I also agree that it would be col to see an ethnic series khukri or parang from Spyderco, and in fact I am going to make a poll in General Discussion on it.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:20 pm
I like S7 for impact tools a lot.

Are these the first machetes that you are making?

I cut my first blades from AEB-L and 80CRv2 because they were reasonable steels that were inexpensive, and I'm still in the steep part of the learning curve--I started in August and have made about 10 blades now. I'm nowhere near feeling proficient enough to spend the money on really good steels (or handle materials, or whatever) at this point.

I haven't worked with 3v, but I do own a Machete in 3v and it's a beast. Holds up really well to abuse and still has better edge holding than any other machete I've owned. I have a big chopper in S7 that doesn't do as well--but 3v is expensive stuff.
Well TOM you stole my thunder :D But I'm glad you did. I was just coming back from a visit to a friend of mine who does all kinds of shop work at his home. He told me that he has spoke to several guys who make their own axes, hatchets, hawks ect. that "S-7" tool steel is believed by several of his metal-crafting friends as a great steel for making striking-cutting tools.

I've also noticed reading in several of the knife magazines I subscribe to especially over the past 3 to 5 years that there are more and more custom makers that are now using "S-7" for making various striking-cutting tools. Not sure how S-7 stacks up on raw material price but I don't see any steel going for bargain prices anymore. Albeit if I was making custom axes, hatchets or hawks I would want to use a high quality type of steel.

If there is something that exceeds the quality of "S-7" I would sure like to know what that might be? Because overall I've heard nothing but good about it for striking tools.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 2:25 pm
I have a condor baryonx or however its spelled.
It's thin with 1075 and it is amazing...
I have two of those and I'm very fond of them. I bought the back up after dinging the first one up hard doing some trail work, but I was able to clean up the first one (I had to grind the blade back a ways) and now I've got two in service.

I haven't found a better working tool at that price, for those tasks.
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:45 am
MacLaren wrote:
I have two of those and I'm very fond of them. I bought the back up after dinging the first one up hard doing some trail work, but I was able to clean up the first one (I had to grind the blade back a ways) and now I've got two in service.

I have been wanting one of these. Did you go to them direct? Thanks, Blade HQ is out of stock.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

M Sea wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 10:57 am
TomAiello wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I have been wanting one of these. Did you go to them direct? Thanks, Blade HQ is out of stock.
Think I got mine from either Amazon or Knife Center
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 11:41 am
M Sea wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

Think I got mine from either Amazon or Knife Center
Thank you, will check now!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

M Sea wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I bought mine direct.

https://www.baryonyxknife.com/bama.html
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 12:29 pm
M Sea wrote:
TomAiello wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

I bought mine direct.

Thank you
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

M Sea wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:05 pm
TomAiello wrote:
M Sea wrote:
TomAiello wrote:

I bought mine direct.

Thank you
You'll be suprised just how very sharp you can get her too :D
Pretty wicked piece of equipment imo
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:44 pm
M Sea wrote:
Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:05 pm
TomAiello wrote:
M Sea wrote:

I bought mine direct.

Thank you
You'll be suprised just how very sharp you can get her too :D
Pretty wicked piece of equipment imo
Thanks for the heads up, a buddy had one and I used it cleaning up after a storm and fell in love with it.
James Y

Post by James Y »

That Baryonyx machete looks like an excellent design. I can imagine several uses around my property where a shape like that would come in handy. I may have to get one for myself one of these days.

Jim
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

My Bark River Knives 1V Machete is waiting for me to pick up. I'll get it next month. I've been waiting for one of these for quite some time.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
me2

Post by me2 »

1045, 1055, 4140, 4340, and 1075 are all steels I’ve considered for a machete. S7 is extremely tough but you can hit a rock full swing and the others won’t break so I don’t know if it’s beneficial and S7 is much more expensive than the 10xx steels. Machetes don’t live an easy live and while used in soft materials usually they have accidental impact with all sorts of things. I want my machetes to be easily fixed with a file. That requires a relatively low hardness. Over tempering a higher carbon steel isn’t the ideal way to go unless you have very limited material choices.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

AEB-L, LC200N, 1V, S7
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.