CTS-XHP corrosion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: CTS-XHP corrosion

Post by The Meat man »

damiand wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:23 am
How come I shouldn't worry about red spots? I've heard red spots are undeniable signs of corrosion. And you have to clean them ASAP. As they will continue to corrode the metal. For a blade that needs to last 10 years, this is vital. Considering the humid conditions, is it reasonable to clean my blade every 12-24 hours? And one more question: what steel are the threads made of? Since every time I wash my knife, I could be rusting the threads inside. Or should I just wash the blade? Are threads corrosion-resistant? All those metallic things that make the mechanism work? Are they corrosion resistant? If they corrode, I think there are no spare parts.
You should clean the blade every 5 to 10 minutes. Also, take the knife completely apart every time you clean the blade in order to clean the metallic things. Just remember not to sit on the knife until it's all back together again. ;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

damiand wrote:

How come I shouldn't worry about red spots? I've heard red spots are undeniable signs of corrosion. And you have to clean them ASAP. As they will continue to corrode the metal. For a blade that needs to last 10 years, this is vital. Considering the humid conditions, is it reasonable to clean my blade every 12-24 hours? And one more question: what steel are the threads made of? Since every time I wash my knife, I could be rusting the threads inside. Or should I just wash the blade? Are threads corrosion-resistant? All those metallic things that make the mechanism work? Are they corrosion resistant? If they corrode, I think there are no spare parts.
Your imaginary knife is not rusting.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

zhyla wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:54 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:49 pm
Ok …… How about posting a picture of this phenomenon ? I actually live in a humid state never have seen on my blade what you are referring to . Sometimes pictures speak louder than words . MG2
He would have to actually own a Chaparral to post a picture of it.
:rofl
kobold

Post by kobold »

photos or it didn't happen.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Just buy a knife in H-1 and you won't have to worry about corrosion.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

damiand wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:22 am
damiand wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 3:38 pm
Hello, After taking my Chaparral out of my pocket I realized that it had gray stains (not like rust), there is some humidity where I live and I had to clean it since it had small drops of humidity, I have only been using it for 1 week and this is happening! I thought CTS-XHP was corrosion resistant. What I can do? Should I worry?
No, you don´t have to worry (no offense, but considering all your threads so far I guess at least when it comes to knives you generally should shift your approach massively from "being worried" to "just enjoying" - I mean this as an honest, friendly advice ;) )

"Corrosion resistant" does not mean "totally corrosion proof".

The "stains", or patina or whatever won´t hurt the performance of your Chap at all. Not even red rust spots would.
And since I know that you rather frequently use and sharpen the knife: On the actual EDGE there will be no "corrosion" going on

If you don´t use the knife for a long time and keep it in a more humid environment: It could happen that the edge degrades a bit from "corrosion" and the knife looses sharpness. But some passes on the sharpmaker will perfectly remedy that.

I carried my Chap frequently iwb when going on sweaty runs, used it in rain and mud and so on: No practical problems at all.

If you don´t like the stains:
- You could lightly oil the blade or use apply some other protective layer ( I never do on any Spyderco, so I am not an expert on this)
- Or get a SALT knife. For your line of work a Salt 2 wharncliffe (I´d go SE, but PE should work great too) would be a perfect choice imho
Muchacha
Just sharpen and oil that chaparral everyday, sharpen it every night 2-3 strokes per side on a UF
Rod !!
then use the same oily rag and wipe it down , put oily rag in a ziplock bag for next day to repeat same process, make it a ritual habit like your life depends upon it
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Big50

Post by Big50 »

I appreciate reading everything I can about XHP. Thanks for posting OP!

It’s one of my personal favorite steels, but I refrain from gifting XHP knives given it’s rumored “lowish stainlesness.” I appreciate the link to the Techno thread too!

I’ve never had staining on my XHP knives, but I’m fairly meticulous with knife care, even on my beaters.

Also, the OP asked a legitimate question. Most of the replies ate legit and informative. Thank you.
Those who chimed in contributing nothing but snark? I hope it provided you with your daily self-validation.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

Big50 wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 3:19 pm

It’s one of my personal favorite steels, but I refrain from gifting XHP knives given it’s rumored “lowish stainlesness.” I appreciate the link to the Techno thread too!

I’ve never had staining on my XHP knives, but I’m fairly meticulous with knife care, even on my beaters.

Also, the OP asked a legitimate question. Most of the replies ate legit and informative. Thank you.
Those who chimed in contributing nothing but snark? I hope it provided you with your daily self-validation.
Read the OP's other threads then come back to us with your thoughts.
This is grade 1 trolling, imho.

He's worried about the "threads" in his steel degrading and you think this deserves a reply other than snark?

I have 4 knives in XHP and I wouldn't worry about recommending it to anyone outside of Spain. It appears to be a really harsh environment on knives.
damiand

Post by damiand »

Big50 wrote:

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what happens with these people either, I think they try to humiliate me and end up doing it. I don't know why I got stains in XHP. I was so worried since it's my first Spyderco! Also raised money for several months to buy one. I care about every aspect.

I didn't get an answer to all my questions, unfortunately, for example if threads can corrode, because im washing it with soap and water everyday and water can get into the threads. And from what I read the steel is different from the blade, I don't know 100% if that's the case and if so, how to dry it immediately. For a knife that I spent months raising money to buy, these precautions can be very decisive. But I understand if it's not like that for the rest of the guys. Most of them live in the USA and can send to factory sharpen their knives. Most of them have hardware stores with Torx screwdrivers to order directly and don't have to order them from Amazon and pay shipping and import fees. Most of them have steady jobs so they can buy lots of Spydies and collect them. While me I'm a humble guy that bought a Spydie after months of saving and they laugh at me in every thread I make! Now they say my Spydie is fake! When I already posted a picture of my Chaparral!

Take care.
vivi

Post by vivi »

damiand wrote:
Hello, After taking my Chaparral out of my pocket I realized that it had gray stains (not like rust), there is some humidity where I live and I had to clean it since it had small drops of humidity, I have only been using it for 1 week and this is happening! I thought CTS-XHP was corrosion resistant. What I can do? Should I worry?
Careful bro, you're gonna trigger folks asking for corrosion resistant steels :rofl
:unicorn
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

damiand wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:29 pm
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I don't know what happens with these people either, I think they try to humiliate me and end up doing it. I don't know why I got stains in XHP. I was so worried since it's my first Spyderco! Also raised money for several months to buy one. I care about every aspect.

I didn't get an answer to all my questions, unfortunately, for example if threads can corrode, because im washing it with soap and water everyday and water can get into the threads. And from what I read the steel is different from the blade, I don't know 100% if that's the case and if so, how to dry it immediately. For a knife that I spent months raising money to buy, these precautions can be very decisive. But I understand if it's not like that for the rest of the guys. Most of them live in the USA and can send to factory sharpen their knives. Most of them have hardware stores with Torx screwdrivers to order directly and don't have to order them from Amazon and pay shipping and import fees. Most of them have steady jobs so they can buy lots of Spydies and collect them. While me I'm a humble guy that bought a Spydie after months of saving and they laugh at me in every thread I make! Now they say my Spydie is fake! When I already posted a picture of my Chaparral!

Take care.
When I think of folding knife maintenance, I am not going to rinse out my folders regularly unless they are used wet. So, that means I usually would spend more time using compressed air, brushes or photography air bulb blower to clean out my knives before a full takedown. If I do end up rinsing my knife soap in water, I definitely spend the time to use air to dry it completely out and then oil the pivot. I would think some folding knives have different liner and lock material than the actual steel on the blade itself. There are quite a number of custom knife makers on this board, so they may know more details.

Personally, I use Flitz to clean red spots off my blades but other folks have had great success just using toothpaste and a toothbrush.

Also, I'm stateside but I don't have the type of discretionary income to send out my knives to have them professionally sharpened, so I rely on my SharpMaker and WorkSharp Precision Adjust for my edges.

Sometimes, people just need some context of what your questions are about. In this case, pictures might help.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

damiand wrote:

Hi,

Take care.
When you say "threads" I think you mean screws. I have a Chaparral and live in a humid area but haven't had any issues with the hardware. I wouldn't worry to much and enjoy your knife.
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

damiand wrote:
Big50 wrote:

Hi,

Take care.
P.M sent!!
Please let me know if you have any questions !

My maintenance schedule is easy to follow and you will never have a problem with rust or dull knife! And will have a great knife that will last you a life time!!! :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Big50 wrote:
damiand wrote:
Big50 wrote:

.....For a knife that I spent months raising money to buy, these precautions can be very decisive. But I understand if it's not like that for the rest of the guys. Most of them live in the USA and can send to factory sharpen their knives. Most of them have hardware stores with Torx screwdrivers to order directly and don't have to order them from Amazon and pay shipping and import fees. ......
Damiand, since I am one of those who honestly tried to help you out and give as much information as I can in I think every single thread you started (and I will continue doing so), I guess I may give you my honest and friendly perspective on why some people might not take your questions serious enough any more.

- Nothing wrong with your questions of course, this is a big part of what this forum is about, and many others who read your threads (forum members or not) might profit from the answers.
- It is just: In the beginning everyone who replied in your threads was really strived to provide you with helpful information and advice. But sometimes it seemed like you would not really take that in, but ask the same question again and again (Just think about your questions about the sharpmaker). This might be due to a language barrier, but I think it started to confuse people here.
- Plus: You just keep on worrying about things, even after several more or less experienced folks told you that there is nothing to worry about. And it seems you have a hard time accepting, that there are things you just can learn and find out by doing and from experience and not have the perfect solution right from the start.
- Sometimes your message seems to be a bit inconsistent: So you are implying that it is very hard for you to come up with the money for your Chaparral, and it has to hold up for ten years (which it will) due to your lack of money - even ordering a torx driver would be hard for that reason
But then you say you were thinking about getting a Techno - for its price you could get almost three Chap FRNs.

No offense, as said. I just think it is also not fair to say and certainly not true that people "try to humiliate" you.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

damiand wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 2:22 am
damiand wrote:
How come I shouldn't worry about red spots? I've heard red spots are undeniable signs of corrosion. And you have to clean them ASAP. As they will continue to corrode the metal. For a blade that needs to last 10 years, this is vital. Considering the humid conditions, is it reasonable to clean my blade every 12-24 hours...
You are right that this corrosion thing could be discussed a bit controversially here.

I can just give you my plain and honest real life experience: Some red spots on a blade, made of steel like XHP will not cause any problems at all, functionally speaking, and it will still last many more years than just ten.
This is of course if you at least sometimes use the knife, clean the blade from time to time, not if you leave the blade in (salt) water for ten years.
If you don´t like the looks, this is another story of course.

I think people who freak out when thy spot some, well, spots on their blades probably never just tried out what would actually happen if they don´t immediately clean them fully away.

Below is a pic of a blade made of A1 steel - much LESS rust proof than XHP and not even really acid proof (so DON`T WORRY, your Chaps blade will NEVER look like this. You´d even have a hard time to deliberately corrode it that far!) :
I use this blade a lot in the kitchen, it gets wet all the time and in contact with various acids, I leave it wet and uncleaned for quite some time frequently, it was red with rust all over not just once.
Now you can see the intense discoloration / patina it developed over time. But the blade itself still performs perfectly well and has lost nothing that could be percieved in strength or structural integrity.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kobold

Post by kobold »

damiand wrote:

For a knife that I spent months raising money to buy, these precautions can be very decisive. But I understand if it's not like that for the rest of the guys. Most of them live in the USA and can send to factory sharpen their knives. Most of them have hardware stores with Torx screwdrivers to order directly and don't have to order them from Amazon and pay shipping and import fees. Most of them have steady jobs so they can buy lots of Spydies and collect them. While me I'm a humble guy that bought a Spydie after months of saving and they laugh at me in every thread I make! Now they say my Spydie is fake! When I already posted a picture of my Chaparral!

Take care.

Link?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 1:47 am
Big50 wrote:
damiand wrote:
Big50 wrote:

.....For a knife that I spent months raising money to buy, these precautions can be very decisive. But I understand if it's not like that for the rest of the guys. Most of them live in the USA and can send to factory sharpen their knives. Most of them have hardware stores with Torx screwdrivers to order directly and don't have to order them from Amazon and pay shipping and import fees. ......
Damiand, since I am one of those who honestly tried to help you out and give as much information as I can in I think every single thread you started (and I will continue doing so), I guess I may give you my honest and friendly perspective on why some people might not take your questions serious enough any more.

- Nothing wrong with your questions of course, this is a big part of what this forum is about, and many others who read your threads (forum members or not) might profit from the answers.
- It is just: In the beginning everyone who replied in your threads was really strived to provide you with helpful information and advice. But sometimes it seemed like you would not really take that in, but ask the same question again and again (Just think about your questions about the sharpmaker). This might be due to a language barrier, but I think it started to confuse people here.
- Plus: You just keep on worrying about things, even after several more or less experienced folks told you that there is nothing to worry about. And it seems you have a hard time accepting, that there are things you just can learn and find out by doing and from experience and not have the perfect solution right from the start.
- Sometimes your message seems to be a bit inconsistent: So you are implying that it is very hard for you to come up with the money for your Chaparral, and it has to hold up for ten years (which it will) due to your lack of money - even ordering a torx driver would be hard for that reason
But then you say you were thinking about getting a Techno - for its price you could get almost three Chap FRNs.

No offense, as said. I just think it is also not fair to say and certainly not true that people "try to humiliate" you.
Thank you Wartstein, you have said very kind things to this man who is new to our hobby.

Sometimes being the new kid with your newness to this field invites humor.

When I was in high school I joined the track team, and I was the new guy, people helped me learn how to lift weights correctly and run correctly. Being new still invited being picked on and seeing what I was made of. I was “ pants“ once. I knew if I didn’t run and tackle the guy who did it (who was the captain of the team) I was inviting everyone else on the team to walk all over me.

Damiand, I have read a lot of funny reply’s to your questions. Most men here mean very well. Some men here will test you to see what your made of and if you are sincere with your journey into this hobby.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I think the issue is that damiand has a tendency to overthink things. We are all knife nuts and we tend to overthink knives but not the way he does. This wouldn’t be a problem but when he asks a question he doesn’t seem to want to hear the answers. He isn’t the first one to ask for opinions and then disregard them. When people do this they often get some snark from the members and some members wonder if they are being trolled.

Since I don’t usually know if a poster is trolling or just not getting the answers they want I usually just stop trying to help.
Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Jan 17, 2022 6:40 am
Since I don’t usually know if a poster is trolling or just not getting the answers they want I usually just stop trying to help.
Well said.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

From December 26th...OP's Sharpening/honing thread.
Airlsee wrote:
Sun Dec 26, 2021 3:41 am
I appreciate the depth of your questions because they are all valid and in pursuit of the right answers, but what is troubling is either your lack of comprehension, out-right dismissal, or misrepresentation of the information presented before you.

Please, just click here for your answers...

If there is some sort of communication barrier, please elaborate. Otherwise, it appears that you just like making threads without really being interested in any solutions that are not unique to you.

This was nearly a month ago, and Damiand just ignored it and kept on keepin' on.

I feel no obligation to help those who are only looking for attention and "self-validation". Damiand, whether intentional or no, is the definition of a waste of time.
So it goes.