Stretch XL discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: Stretch XL discussion

Post by kennethsime »

double post
Last edited by kennethsime on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Superflex wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:23 pm
I'd love to see your SK390 SS with micarta. I have been looking at some ironwood scales for mine but I'm not sold yet.

The scales are from @suingab. They’re nice but not perfect. I’d sure prefer something from the factory like my Shaman.

I hear the rest of you too - again, I’ll buy one because I know the handle is going to feel fricken’ awesome, and I do like VG-10. I just also wish I had my druthers, and hope that Sal and Crew are listening.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Glad to see this finally arrive. Lack of liners is a bummer for me. I prefer the feel/balance/weight of the Endura/Delica to their linerless Salt counterparts. Looking forward to the Cruwear version Sal promised. If it is a Cru-carta even better! This would make an amazing Cru-carta knife!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

olywa wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:13 pm
Specs are good but I'd love to see some comparison pics of the XL next to the current SS Stretch.
Closed really not that much larger, opened with a much longer blade I'd say...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:30 pm
Glad to see this finally arrive. Lack of liners is a bummer for me. I prefer the feel/balance/weight of the Endura/Delica to their linerless Salt counterparts. Looking forward to the Cruwear version Sal promised. If it is a Cru-carta even better! This would make an amazing Cru-carta knife!
I bet we get Cruwear - we know they use that in Seki thanks to the DLT exclusives. I doubt we get Crucarta - micarta on Seki knives is prohibitively expensive to begin with, and on top of that they'd have to add the liners back in to this design somehow - I don't find that super likely. I'd be first in line if we did get the crucarta, though. :-)

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Tgmr05 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:28 pm
This one looks very nice. Lighter than a pac salt.....
Actually a tad "heavier" than the ffg Pac Salt 2 (2.7 vs 2.6 oz), but in reality practically the same extremely lpw weight.

I wonder how they made this possible:

The Stretch 2 (with liners) is shorter than the Endura (also with liners), but still 10 % "heavier"

The Stretch XL (linerless) has the same length as the Pac Salt 2 (basically a linerless Endura 4) but practically the same weight.

It really looks like as if for the Stretch XL, while having the same length as the Pac Salt, a bit more material would be necessary for blade and handle simce it is wider. But still it is practically speaking not "heavier".
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:05 pm
This was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect to be wanting another large folder for a while, but this one is tempting.
Absolutely not in my budget though, so that part isn't so pleasant.
May I ask: What do mean by "absolutely not in my budget"? Isn't this model actually really affordable compared to other large Spydies?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:13 am
aicolainen wrote:
This was a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect to be wanting another large folder for a while, but this one is tempting.
May I ask: What do mean by "absolutely not in my budget"? Isn't this model actually really affordable compared to other large Spydies?
KnifeCenter has it up for pre-order for the low-low price of $112.35.

I've got to be honest, that low price helps me feel a little better about this knife.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:15 am
Wartstein wrote:
aicolainen wrote:
KnifeCenter has it up for pre-order for the low-low price of $112.35.

I've got to be honest, that low price helps me feel a little better about this knife.

Haven´t ordered a Spydie from the US (and not from Europe) in quite a while now, and actually never PRE-ordered one... but I think with this model I´ll have to do so... :smirk
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

As someone who always wants an in-between size of everything plus a choil, I think this will be great! I hope they will make lighter knives for every niche. Every time I pick up a Salt or Pac Salt, I wish some of the others of similar size could be so light, or a little lighter. To me, opening up that possibility is definitely a good move. I would also like to see a light version of something the size of a Kiwi 4 or Spy Opera, clipped, for shirt or jacket pocket carry along with pens, pencils, etc.

But sometimes I like the heaviness and thinness of my G-10 Police 4 and Stretch 2. For variety, I guess Spyderco is the place to go... (maybe I could put velcro on my wallet ;) )
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
sal

Post by sal »

I like larger knives because I often use them for food in kitchen and restaurants. When I desig ger models, I usually design them for me,......................................and Vivi......................................and any other of those ilk that just like larger blades.

sal
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:59 am
I like larger knives because I often use them for food in kitchen
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
sal

Post by sal »

I guess I've been "Bloked".

sal
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

Wartstein wrote:
aicolainen wrote:
Oh, yeah, sure. Can't complain about the price.
I was quite satisfied with my current selection of knives, there are a few unreleased knives I'm expecting to try out, but in the big scheme of things, I've reached a point in my "collection" where I get more value spending/investing my fun/hobby budget in other categories of gear.
My hiking, skiing and camping gear has been stagnant for many years now, but as the kids are getting older, I'm now able to go on more challenging trips both together with them, but also sneak off onto some solo trips now and then. Catching up with the times in that arena sure isn't cheap, but cutting base weight, increasing sleep system comfort temp or getting into hot tenting is probably going to make for a better / more interesting experience than another new knife at this point.
So yes, price is good, but the budget is kind of fixed so priorities must be made.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:12 am
sal wrote:
I like larger knives because I often use them for food in kitchen

We're gonna need a bigger Sharpmaker
Matus

Post by Matus »

sal wrote:
I like larger knives because I often use them for food in kitchen and restaurants. When I desig ger models, I usually design them for me,......................................and Vivi......................................and any other of those ilk that just like larger blades.

sal
Sal, in what restaurant is it OK to pull out a knife of a size and design of the Stretch XL to cut your steak? :grin-sweat
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'll take it in VG-10 no problem :)
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm interested in picking up an SE version and VG-10 will be just fine for that, I also don't think I have any VG-10 at the moment.
So it goes.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I am excited over this model. As soon as it hits the stores and I have the pennies saved up I will get one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:03 am
steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:30 pm
I bet we get Cruwear - we know they use that in Seki thanks to the DLT exclusives. I doubt we get Crucarta - micarta on Seki knives is prohibitively expensive to begin with, and on top of that they'd have to add the liners back in to this design somehow - I don't find that super likely. I'd be first in line if we did get the crucarta, though. :-)

I'm pretty sure Sal said they were also going to release a G10 version of this model. So assuming that is still on the table, a Cru-carta should be pretty easy, and may be even cheaper than a G10 version.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red