BladeHQ PM2 Aluminum-scale Exclusive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soulrack

Re: BladeHQ PM2 Aluminum-scale Exclusive

Post by Soulrack »

They're neat looking. The texture isn't quite as cool as the diamond arc pattern but still very cool. I'm fine with these being the lightweight version of the PM2. Can FRN actually make them much if any lighter? Red, Orange and Black are bound to be even more popular. Hopefully they keep making them. A regular production piece in Magnacut with Bronze anodizing would be a big seller.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

These machined scales are an absolute pocket shredder BTW.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

The aluminum scales definitely feel a little lighter than the G10. Also feel really good in hand. I wasn't super impressed with BD1N with my old Para 3 LW so I decided to do a blade swap with my Maxamet PM2. I also put a Lynch clip on to hopefully minimize pocket-shredding. Action and lockup are excellent, really excited to use this one.

It did take a little bit of effort to pry the scales apart from the blade/pivot after removing all the screws. I didn't attempt to remove the lanyard tube since I didn't need to, so I'm not sure if it's as difficult with the aluminum scales as it has been with the G10.

p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

abbazaba wrote:
Tue Dec 28, 2021 2:39 pm
These machined scales are an absolute pocket shredder BTW.
Have you found anything to help with this? They are a pocket shredder; so much so that I've considered making a trade on r/spyderswap as I don't really carry it. But I really like everything else about the knife.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

I had two lynch clips lying around (you can see one in my pic above). The first one was pretty tight and was similar to the stock clip, but the second one was a lot looser/had more spring to it and goes in and out of the pocket much easier. So, if you get or have a lunch clip you could try bending it a bit to reduce the tension.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Orange, Red and Black colors of the BladeHQ exclusive BD1N with aluminum scales will be released on Wednesday, March 16th at 10:00am MT for $140 shipped.

https://www.bladehq.com/?search=Spyderc ... _desc:desc

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I don't need it, I just want to handle it....
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Purple is back in stock... https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... on--137752

Edit: out of stock
•• Beau
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I kind of want one the red one but the BD1N is kind of a deal breaker for me. Someone change my mind.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

billdoier72 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:01 pm
I kind of want one the red one but the BD1N is kind of a deal breaker for me. Someone change my mind.
BD1N is a great user everyday steel. It takes a great edge fairly easily. I would much rather have that class of steel than a more wear resistant one. You can take a field sharpener and get a great edge pretty quickly. Compare it to the M390 class. You get more wear resistance, but that is about it. BD1N corrosion resistance is right up there with M390 and S110V. Highly corrosion resistant. For a user, I would take BD1N over M390. Better price and I can't tell that big a difference in wear resistance for everyday use. I know in testing it will surely be beat by M390. What I can tell the difference in is sharpenability. I'm a beginner/novice when it comes to sharpening. I prefer a more no fuss steel.

One of my favorite everyday do anything knives is the Manix 2 LW in SPY27. I really like that steel for the ease of sharpening. However, it would be hard to recommend that model to someone since the Manix LW was upgraded from BD1 to BD1N. Not going to tell a huge difference in the steels except for the price point (proprietary steel). Now that you can get that model in BD1N it is a no brainer recommendation for a user knife in my opinion.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 7:08 pm
billdoier72 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:01 pm
BD1N is a great user everyday steel. It takes a great edge fairly easily. I would much rather have that class of steel than a more wear resistant one. You can take a field sharpener and get a great edge pretty quickly. Compare it to the M390 class. You get more wear resistance, but that is about it. BD1N corrosion resistance is right up there with M390 and S110V. Highly corrosion resistant. For a user, I would take BD1N over M390. Better price and I can't tell that big a difference in wear resistance for everyday use. I know in testing it will surely be beat by M390. What I can tell the difference in is sharpenability. I'm a beginner/novice when it comes to sharpening. I prefer a more no fuss steel.

One of my favorite everyday do anything knives is the Manix 2 LW in SPY27. I really like that steel for the ease of sharpening. However, it would be hard to recommend that model to someone since the Manix LW was upgraded from BD1 to BD1N. Not going to tell a huge difference in the steels except for the price point (proprietary steel). Now that you can get that model in BD1N it is a no brainer recommendation for a user knife in my opinion.
Those are some strong points. I might have to give BD1N a try.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

Without a doubt these are good looking ,but without a doubt I will pass. I already have my quota of BD1N.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Red is out of stock
•• Beau
tactikool

Post by tactikool »

I nabbed one in black when the drop went live. Black may not be the flavor of the day, but it never goes out of style.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Interesting that the red sold out fairly quickly while the black and orange are still in stock. I wonder if red knives are an underserved market, or if people getting bored with black (most base knives are black) and orange (many sprints/exclusives in this color). Probably a little of each.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Notsurewhy wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 4:55 am
Interesting that the red sold out fairly quickly while the black and orange are still in stock. I wonder if red knives are an underserved market, or if people getting bored with black (most base knives are black) and orange (many sprints/exclusives in this color). Probably a little of each.

We don’t know how many of each color were made. I would’ve liked some metal anodized colors like bronze, brass, grey, etc.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

Orange is out of stock
•• Beau
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I almost bought one for the scales. But I have too many PM2's.. I want these scales though..
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Razor G43

Post by Razor G43 »

We need a serrated one!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Looks like Orange is back in stock.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco- ... fe--137753