Bring back the jester?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kerrcobra

Re: Bring back the jester?

Post by kerrcobra »

Danke wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:34 pm
I would love a CruCarta Jester too. I guess the only question would be is it possible. It's one thing to bring an old design back and it's a whole other thing to evolve that old thing into something current.
Yeah, this is my concern too. I'm all for these different ideas you folks are floating here, but I hope we don't get so bogged down in "changes" to the original design that Spyderco decides there isn't enough interest and shelves the whole thing.
--Jeremy
SpyderLine

Post by SpyderLine »

sal wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:39 pm
Hi Sethwm,

Thanx for the thread. Gail carries a Jester or two most of the time. She has the Burgundy Micarta version, the FRN version and the GITD version. There seems to be some interest here, and we just did an exclusive run so it's probably worth the discussion. Though I must say than anything decided now wouldn't see reality as a production piece for 1-1/2 to 2 years.

The original concept for the "forefinger-dip" was to there to permit a very focused cut using the forefinger close to the tip of the knife. I also wanted to make sure that there was enough purchase to support the forefinger position. I used the concept on the Jester and the ATR as production pieces. Remember, this was a couple of decades ago. Reaction was mixed as I think I was trying to "sell" a concept as an added feature in a cutting tool. Back then, many more purchased their knives by look and function wasn't as high a value. Spyderco wasn't very popular then. With the advent of internet, forums, increased number of shows, etc., Knife buyers are far more savvy about more functional stuff like; steel, grinds, ergonomics, edge geometry, heat treat, etc. Topics that were sought by a much smaller group 20 years ago.

So if we were to go for a sprint run, I would have to understand what you wanted?

FRN or Exotic handle material?
Steel?
Salt or regular model?
Plain and serrated?
Even Blade shape is open?
How many to make?

Maybe some type of poll?

thoughts?

sal

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Enter not ye of narrow mind lest they understanding be open to suggestion"
Sal never seems to do anything short of blowing my mind when it comes to listening to his customers. I love how engaged and interested in customer feedback he is. I've never owned a micro spyderco and don't know that I will, but of all models the Jester has appealed to me most. Thanks again for the great company, knives, forum, and interaction that you provide! I believe you are truly a one of a kind man.
Current Top 3
Kapara, Native 5, Pacific Salt 2
M.N.O.S.D #0034

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month."
-Theodore Roosevelt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Just a quick "thanks" for pointing me towards this model, that I was not really aware of.
Way too small for actually getting one myself, but I still think it´s pretty cool and I enjoyed looking at pics and do a bit of read up.

Good luck with the quest of bringing if back! Hope it´ll work out! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It is important to remember that the original Jester JPMP was slab-sided micarta. Asking for a different micarta is not evolving the design from its origins. Grey G10 was used in the 2012 release. Titanium or Crucarta is well with in reason.

That said, FRN is the fastest path back to market as the handle is shared with the LB.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

HEY SPYDERFRIENDS, The Poll for Handle Material for the Jester 2023 Sprint Run is up.

GO VOTE!
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:34 pm
HEY SPYDERFRIENDS, The Poll for Handle Material for the Jester 2023 Sprint Run is up.

GO VOTE!
I was on a short trip and didn’t see sal’s request until just now. Amazing to see this thread take off. Thanks for setting up the poll.

Sal and crew: thanks for listening!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

No photo? What is this, the Lil' Stretch?

Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sethwm wrote:
Thu Dec 23, 2021 2:13 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 2:34 pm

GO VOTE!
I was on a short trip and didn’t see sal’s request until just now. Amazing to see this thread take off. Thanks for setting up the poll.

Sal and crew: thanks for listening!
Glad your idea had legs. Happy to help.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

I wouldn't get too excited yet. The last time we were told to agree on a color and then Spyderco would do a run we did exactly that and it took 7 years for the knife to get made -not by Spyderco doing a Sprint run- but by a dealer requesting what we had asked for and getting it made. The poll thread was occasionally bumped to the front page so it wouldn't get forgotten over all those years.

If not for the dealer, I wonder if it would have been produced at all? So we'll see if Spyderco actually follows through on their own this time. They're usually pretty good about listening, but I keep my expectations and excitement level much more in check now.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

What Jaba says is correct, but I also think a large run of an exclusive would please many. I know my wish for a titanium model would best be served by an Exclusive.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001