What “New to You” models are you looking at for 2022?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

Re: What “New to You” models are you looking at for 2022?

Post by JSumm »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:49 am
The MagnaCut Natve5 Salt and Lil’Natve Slipjoint will be just another (if welcome) Native and Lil’Native in my inventory.

So, nothing new to me that is of interest seems close to materializing in 2022.

But, I do have my ear to the ground regarding Sal’s Leaf Jumper, Alistair Phillips’ collabs, Shawn/Deadboxhero’s 15V collab, and a possible Chad/Xplorer collab.

I sure would like something completely new in the Signature line from Eric, but I imagine he’s way too busy with present-day challenges to Spyderco’s business, including collaborations.
What is this I hear?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm, we're pretty much agreed here.

I'd really love a Caly 3 in ZDP - one of the last knives that was made by Moki, I think. Just an incredible knife.

I definitely want a Native Chief, but am waiting for the right exclusive. I might just take it S45VN if it see that upgrade. I'd also like to upgrade the scales to Micarta if possible, but no one is doing that yet.

I'd love a leaf jumper.

I'm also waiting for DLT to release their Crucarta PM2s.

I'm not sure my budget will allow much more than that this year, but if I get half of those in I'll consider myself a lucky man.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:22 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
The MagnaCut Natve5 Salt and Lil’Natve Slipjoint will be just another (if welcome) Native and Lil’Native in my inventory.

So, nothing new to me that is of interest seems close to materializing in 2022.

But, I do have my ear to the ground regarding Sal’s Leaf Jumper, Alistair Phillips’ collabs, Shawn/Deadboxhero’s 15V collab, and a possible Chad/Xplorer collab.

I sure would like something completely new in the Signature line from Eric, but I imagine he’s way too busy with present-day challenges to Spyderco’s business, including collaborations.
What is this I hear?
Hints here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85843&start=40
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The models I’m looking forward to in the new year.

:winking-tongue
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Co Pilot

Post by Co Pilot »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:01 pm
I feel like my knife buying journey is at a standstill. I mean, how many folding pocket knives ranging from 2.5" - 4" does one really need?? They all do the same thing. I'm satisfied with my 28 and haven't checked any websites for new knives in quite a while (mainly so I don't tempt myself)

2022 - I'm going to TRY to not buy any new knives and focus on using what I have, as well as keep trying different angles and grits for sharpening all of these. I'm finding that more exciting and more of a learning experience than buying new knives lately. (though I do know if a certain few distributors drop a certain couple knives in their exclusives...resistance will be futile!)
Need? Who said anything about something as trivial as need? :winking-tongue As a long departed and very missed (wow 20 years now) friend of mine Mike Falk once said to his wife when she asked "Do you need anothe gun/knife?", "This is WAY more important than need, this is about want".
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:41 pm
wrdwrght wrote:
Hints here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85843&start=40
Thanks!

I forgot there was also a mini Kapara prototype at Blade Show. Although, for me, the current size is perfect.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:11 pm
The models I’m looking forward to in the new year.

:winking-tongue
Those are some beauts!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
D1omedes

Post by D1omedes »

Waiting patiently for Caly 3.5 LW. Otherwise, something new with a button lock. None of the recent models have caught my interest.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

If I buy a new knife in 2022 (big if) maybe a chief or shaman. I have enough knives at the moment but sometimes I get that itch for a new piece....
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Quite frankly, if any new knives for 2022, most likely another brand. Kinda just got into microtechs otf knives and would love a Socom folder....
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The FRN Caly 3 & 3.5 with screw construction and MagnaCut...obviously!

And it goes without saying: the upcoming Chad Kelly Heron collaboration for a fixie.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
R100

Post by R100 »

There are a few for me that I have not tried, but really want an example in my hands. Feel free to steer me clear of these if necessary.

Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber 420J2/ZDP 189
I like this model for a number of reasons. Love the blade length for a relatively small footprint. I would ultimately like to have a Locking FRN version if that makes it to production some day, but that may or may not happen. Even if it did, I am attracted to the Non-FRN backlocks for the steel backspacer. I loved the look of my old CF Chaparral that I gave away with that backspacer. Would like a bigger version and this seems perfect. This carbon fiber looks smooth, but not too smooth to offer some grip. I am picturing something similar to the Chaparral or Watu. I have held this knife in a store, but can’t recall. I would prefer a different steel than ZDP-189, but I am afraid this model may not be around forever.

This is a great model for ergos and blade length for weight but mine (plain VG10 model) had some significant flaws. There are no washers and the action was very gritty and unpleasant but searching the forum I saw that the solution is to polish the tang and inside of the liners. This worked a treat but the thing I couldn't cure is the lock rock. It is a significant amount but the worst thing is that unlike my other lockbacks it happens with the least pressure applied. I can easily rock it back and forth with my finger in the choil making the blade feel floppy. It is so bad that when I leant it to a co-worker (not a knife person) for a minor task they asked me what was wrong with it. I think others have had the same experience so I don't think it is just a bad example. Mine has subsequently cracked through the spine above the spyder hole so I no longer use it - no idea why, I've never seen this before and as a lightly built knife it never saw remotely hard use. I like the ergos and blade and have looked at the ZDP version but the lock rock has put me off. A CQI version would be awesome.

Dan
Matus

Post by Matus »

There are some knives that make me curios like Military, Stretch, Siren, Smock, Chaparral, but the only knife I am pretty certain to get once available again is UKPK Salt. I would be interested to try some of the larger Wkiita kitchen knives - if for anything else then just to see whether my sceptism correct is :savouring

I got and sold several knives this year, I would like to keep 2022 a bit less active in this regard. I may get a Salt 2 for our daughter, maybe the Stretch to replace the Native Chief and maybe the Siren if CQI version comes out (ideally directly in Magnacut :smiling-halo )
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

R100 wrote:
Thu Dec 16, 2021 12:33 am
There are a few for me that I have not tried, but really want an example in my hands. Feel free to steer me clear of these if necessary.

Caly 3.5 Carbon Fiber 420J2/ZDP 189
I like this model for a number of reasons. Love the blade length for a relatively small footprint. I would ultimately like to have a Locking FRN version if that makes it to production some day, but that may or may not happen. Even if it did, I am attracted to the Non-FRN backlocks for the steel backspacer. I loved the look of my old CF Chaparral that I gave away with that backspacer. Would like a bigger version and this seems perfect. This carbon fiber looks smooth, but not too smooth to offer some grip. I am picturing something similar to the Chaparral or Watu. I have held this knife in a store, but can’t recall. I would prefer a different steel than ZDP-189, but I am afraid this model may not be around forever.

This is a great model for ergos and blade length for weight but mine (plain VG10 model) had some significant flaws. There are no washers and the action was very gritty and unpleasant but searching the forum I saw that the solution is to polish the tang and inside of the liners. This worked a treat but the thing I couldn't cure is the lock rock. It is a significant amount but the worst thing is that unlike my other lockbacks it happens with the least pressure applied. I can easily rock it back and forth with my finger in the choil making the blade feel floppy. It is so bad that when I leant it to a co-worker (not a knife person) for a minor task they asked me what was wrong with it. I think others have had the same experience so I don't think it is just a bad example. Mine has subsequently cracked through the spine above the spyder hole so I no longer use it - no idea why, I've never seen this before and as a lightly built knife it never saw remotely hard use. I like the ergos and blade and have looked at the ZDP version but the lock rock has put me off. A CQI version would be awesome.

Dan
That is not good to hear. I would be pretty disappointed in that. The current version is not cheap either. Maybe 1 that I would only get in person only after handling it. I will say, I would much prefer a CQI lightweight model with a different steel. I hope that comes to production because the ergos look great and the current version I handled felt great. Thanks for the feedback!
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Waiting for the small locking Kapara I keep asking myself ... how far down the pipeline is that LW Caly3.5 ????!!!!
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

aicolainen wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:08 pm
Of the old/revealed/confirmed stuff, not much.

Swick 5/6
Military, kind of, but hope to see some that are not S30V (if we see any at all)

Like Vivi,there’s no shortage of knives on my rumored-/disclosed prototype Spyderco short list.
Had a long walk in the rain last night, and it cleared my head a little bit (or I'm just confused to a higher level).
It's pretty clear that I gravitate to smaller and thinner knives for my regular use. A few larger ones for more options is never a bad thing, but going smaller most often means more time in use/pocket vs. money invested.

Updated Spyderco short list:
- DF2 wharncliffe K390 (should probably have been on the first list. DF2 is not new to me, but whancliffe and k390 is)
- Swick 5/6
- Manbug wharncliffe
- Ladybug salt HB (I was allready set on a DF2 HB, but Bloke inspired me to go LB instead)
- ARK PE

From the rumors/prototype list, I think I have pretty well established use cases for a Subway bowie and an Enuff XL.

Anything else would probably be more or less impulsive acquisitions to feed my curiosity for a new steel, blade shape or something to that extent.

I predict a net reduction in total number of knives next year, and I also think/hope that sprints and exclusives will be less relevant for me in 2022 and the years to come. With H-1 and LC200N already seeing widespread use in production models, K390 on the rise and Magnacut sure to follow, I'm pretty much covered.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Probably something in magnacut when it's readily available(magnacut chief/Military /police 4). No hurry on my part. The only thing I'd jump at immediately would be a maxamet /K390/10V/125V military. I've carried the military a lot this year and used it quite a bit with gloves on. Works fantastic.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

After looking at the he 2022 catalog i bought a Kizer. I'm very please with it, just miss the spyderhole. Nothing in the catalog appeals to me, most of the models i already have and i'm not a steeljunkie. Searched for a P'kal but couldn't find any. Got excited about the pink para3 but it's USA only shipping so sadly i'll be forced to look elsewhere for my knife collection. Hopefully new Spyderco models will come out, we'll see.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I would not mind another used PITS coming my way. It is worthy of a backup. The Native 5 in MC will be a buy for me. Waiting for some models to come out in MC and of course for the Reveals to be revealed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Dec 17, 2021 1:32 pm
I would not mind another used PITS coming my way. It is worthy of a backup. The Native 5 in MC will be a buy for me. Waiting for some models to come out in MC and of course for the Reveals to be revealed.
Yeah, the Pac Salt 2 is high on my list, but now I am curious what will happen with MC. If it replaces LC200N I would rather wait. May be 2 years for that, so probably can't wait
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005