Canis Rattle Problem ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Manixguy@1994

Canis Rattle Problem ?

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

A good friend of just sent me a video of his Canis recently purchased late this summer . When the knife is closed it has a very audible clicking noise and when open the noise goes away . We are wondering if this is a possible bushing issue ? We only have one Canis nearby and no rattle is present on that knife . Has anybody else had this issue ? He is going to reach out to Golden today to discuss with warranty / repair . Thank you , MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
mb1

Re: Canis Rattle Problem ?

Post by mb1 »

Yeah, it’s been discussed on another thread where I asked the same question. The floating stop pin needs a drop of oil or dab of grease and it goes away.
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Lanyard tube? That's what I've had on other spydercos.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

My amalgam had that problem. The stop pin was rattling. Dab of blue loctite fixed it.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thanks everyone I will pass it on. He has contacted Warranty and they want to also see it . I will leave up to him to decide.
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Manixguy@1994 wrote: Thanks everyone I will pass it on. He has contacted Warranty and they want to also see it . I will leave up to him to decide.
They all rattle. Its the floating stop pin. Theres nothing wrong with the knife.

The ones that dont rattle just havent been dropped yet. Lol.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
mahd7766

Post by mahd7766 »

Manixguy posted for me about the Canis rattle I had noticed last evening. Several of you were correct that its the stop pin. Wedged a fine plastic toothpick under the pin and no rattle. Remove and rattle is back. Will use a drop of oil to start. No need to send to Spyderco. Thanks to all who responded!!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

My buddy applied Lucas gun oil and seems to be working . Rattle is gone , going to watch it to see if this is a long term solution . Thanks everyone for your help .
Henry David Thoreau
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

My spydiechef rattles a bit...don't bother me. My Crk sebenza 21 rattles too....no biggie
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I've had both rattling stop pins and lanyard tubes. I use Permatex Threadlocker Green. (P/N-29000) It's probably the same as Locktite green thread locker. (P/N-2900) They're probably made by the same company. ;) Green thread locker is thinner, or more runny. It creeps into the threads without having to take a nut and bolt apart. It was originally made as a liquid shim to shim two parts, but works great in threads, too.

On stop pins and lanyard tubes, I'll rinse the area where the pin or tube meet the liner with alcohol then let it evaporate for a few hours. Then, I'll use the smallest drop of thread locker possible at the pin/liner, or tube/liner interface. The thread locker sucks right into the joint. If there's any extra I'll use a cotton swab to clean up the area.

For a stop pins I'll open the blade and let it sit for 24 hours until it cures. On lanyard tubes, apply it and leave it alone for 24 hours.

NAPA Auto Parts sells the small tubes of Permatex Threadlocker Green.

I've used it on a Smock, an Advocate, and my Mantras. Problem solved.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Pokey wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:04 am
I've had both rattling stop pins and lanyard tubes. I use Permatex Threadlocker Green. (P/N-29000) It's probably the same as Locktite green thread locker. (P/N-2900) They're probably made by the same company. ;) Green thread locker is thinner, or more runny. It creeps into the threads without having to take a nut and bolt apart. It was originally made as a liquid shim to shim two parts, but works great in threads, too.

On stop pins and lanyard tubes, I'll rinse the area where the pin or tube meet the liner with alcohol then let it evaporate for a few hours. Then, I'll use the smallest drop of thread locker possible at the pin/liner, or tube/liner interface. The thread locker sucks right into the joint. If there's any extra I'll use a cotton swab to clean up the area.

For a stop pins I'll open the blade and let it sit for 24 hours until it cures. On lanyard tubes, apply it and leave it alone for 24 hours.

NAPA Auto Parts sells the small tubes of Permatex Threadlocker Green.

I've used it on a Smock, an Advocate, and my Mantras. Problem solved.
Thanks Pokey , I will pass this on to buddy . I have a Smock , it’s so far rock solid , but will keep this info in case I have an issue down the road . I’m still trying to figure out previous post stating that a CRK 21 rattles . I have had one since the 21 came out . It’s as solid as the day I bought it and have carried and used with no issues . Scratching my head on that one .MG2
Henry David Thoreau
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:17 am

... I’m still trying to figure out previous post stating that a CRK 21 rattles . I have had one since the 21 came out . It’s as solid as the day I bought it and have carried and used with no issues . Scratching my head on that one .MG2
I'm not sure if this is what the poster meant, but I've read that some CRK lanyard tubes rattle when the lanyard is removed. This happened on my Umnumzaan, so I just removed the lanyard tube entirely as I didn't need it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Thank you for you comments concerning the CRK statement now it makes sense . Mine is in original condition so I would not be aware of this type of issue . Makes sense , MG2
Henry David Thoreau