Anything new planned for the Military?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: Anything new planned for the Military?

Post by kobold »

I just hope they don't start releasing the comp. lock version in popular steels (K390, Cru-wear, MagnaCut), while letting the proper model stale, and then discontinuing it anyway, pointing the finger at the stagnating sales. Both variants should get a fair go.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Felt cute, might flip on eBay later :smiling-heart-eyes
(kidding, these are absolutely not for sale)

I don't think I've ever had them all together for a family photo so there's my modest little Military collection. The two on the right I have literally only handled with rubber gloves on and they've only left the box to be inspected and coated with Vaseline so they stay minty fresh. Someday I'm gonna sell them and retire :rofl

Sure would be nice to add some MagnaCut to that collection though.

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Didn't know you had all of those Millie's David, that photo surprised me. Very nice though, I'd take any one of those!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

This pic is missing my Rex45 as well as my backup Cruwear. I sure do love the Military.

Still waiting for Maxamet, K390, 10V or Magnacut.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
olywa

Post by olywa »

Salivating now...
olywa

Post by olywa »

Most of what I'm seeing available and in-stock right now is the S30V for lefties. Leaves me wishing I was a little more ambidextrous.
vivi

Post by vivi »

with the base model in DLC being over $200 now, I'd like to see a lightweight version aim to hit a similar price point as the FRN/VG10 Police.
:unicorn
FK

Post by FK »

Please Spyderco, do not change anything on the existing CQI Military.
It is a classic and only needs new steel to resurge sales.

Regards,
FK
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Actually, I think a production run or two would resurge sales at this point.

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:04 am
Didn't know you had all of those Millie's David, that photo surprised me. Very nice though, I'd take any one of those!

Prior to about 2017 I was on the Military bandwagon pretty hard. It was around that time I got focused on serrations, then got an Autonomy and it was downhill from there.
~David
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Since we don't have Spyderco official updates on the Military status, I think they're still discussing the future of the knife in Spyderco lineup. If something was coming Sal or someone else would let us know.

My own personal theory is they're probably discussing keeping the linerlock version and the incoming comp lock military or just go for the Comp lock only. Business wise, it makes little sens to keep both of them, but the original is such a classic that it's probably hard to make a cut and dry decision on it.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chapp wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:56 am
Since we don't have Spyderco official updates on the Military status, I think they're still discussing the future of the knife in Spyderco lineup. If something was coming Sal or someone else would let us know.

My own personal theory is they're probably discussing keeping the linerlock version and the incoming comp lock military or just go for the Comp lock only. Business wise, it makes little sens to keep both of them, but the original is such a classic that it's probably hard to make a cut and dry decision on it.

I think it's easy for us to make wrong assumptions about what we think is popular and what we think sells well. If sales are the ultimate deciding factor of what knives stick around and what get discontinued, and if for example a compression lock is so superior in popularity and sells so well, then how do we explain the standard stainless handle Police still being produced? Not only is it a boring old back lock but it's also a metal handle which most will say fell out of popularity decades ago. Is it still in the lineup for heritage sake or does it actually continue to sell? If it's heritage alone then maybe they'll give the Military the same honor.
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Rex45 Military came out in Nov 2018 and the Jade M4 came out in Feb 2019. There hasn’t been a sprint or exclusive since then. We were told that all Golden models would get the Maxamet treatment and while I doubted we would see the Yojimbo, P’kal or ManixXL I thought we would see a Military in Maxamet.

Based on this it seems as though the Military has gotten a little stale. There has definitely been a trend towards smaller knives over the years. I am not overly optimistic in regards to its future. It’s my favorite Spyderco.

They should use the Military to debut Magnacut in a production piece after the Mule. It might spark a renewed interest in the model for newer Spyderco fans.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:15 am

They should use the Military to debut Magnacut in a production piece after the Mule. It might spark a renewed interest in the model for newer Spyderco fans.

Absolutely this. I often think of the Military as basically being the folding Mule, in that it's the best folder platform for testing out new steels. After so many missed steels that the Military should have gotten, I think it deserves a triumphant return in a much hyped steel like MagnaCut.
~David
PaperKnife

Post by PaperKnife »

@Sal

… you heard it here first from me!
The M&M&M :discguised
The Liner Lock Micarta, MagnaCut , Millie ….
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

Based on this it seems as though the Military has gotten a little stale. There has definitely been a trend towards smaller knives over the years. I am not overly optimistic in regards to its future. It’s my favorite Spyderco.

Its one of the most expensive models and its sold out everywhere. I think its future should be ok.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
The Rex45 Military came out in Nov 2018 and the Jade M4 came out in Feb 2019. There hasn’t been a sprint or exclusive since then. We were told that all Golden models would get the Maxamet treatment and while I doubted we would see the Yojimbo, P’kal or ManixXL I thought we would see a Military in Maxamet.

I couldn’t agree more with what you’ve said here. Exclusives and sprints have slowed to a stop and even the base model is nearly impossible to find while other models continue to get different steel options as production models. It’s a bit concerning to any of us who really enjoy the model. By the way, I love that pocket picture. If for whatever reason there was any doubt that the Military was really your favorite model, you have the pocket to prove it!

In case anyone is looking for one and missed my other thread, Knife Hub does have the DLC, S30V CQI model with camo scales. Without Buddafucco’s suggestion, I wouldn’t have found it. As others mentioned, Knifeworks also has a DLC, S30V model in stock but they only have the non-CQI version. I wanted the CQI model for a gift to a friend. I did call Knifeworks and confirmed they don’t have any newer models. The rep I spoke to at Knife Hub was really nice and they shipped my order out the same day with free shipping. I hope this doesn’t derail the thread, I just wanted to point people in the right direction if they are looking for one.

I feel like I should mention that after searching and seeing how many dealers were out of stock, I sent Spyderco a brief email asking if they had an ETA on another batch. I acknowledged the fact that there is a lot going on in the world that is outside of their control and I understand they are a little behind in production. That was a couple of weeks ago and I never received a reply. I’m assuming it’s because they are short-handed and they are probably trying to prioritize their emails a bit. I’m not going to overthink it and assume the worst. Just thought others should know in case they were considering sending an email with the same question.
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
Crox

Post by Crox »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:20 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Absolutely this. I often think of the Military as basically being the folding Mule, in that it's the best folder platform for testing out new steels. After so many missed steels that the Military should have gotten, I think it deserves a triumphant return in a much hyped steel like MagnaCut.
This describes me well. I’m a late bloomer on becoming Spyderco fan. I have a wish list of knives that I’m purchasing when interesting combos let me try new knives and new materials. Most recently m390 Manix and crucarta pm2. Military is on that wishlist. I would like one right now. I would be all over a Military in different steel and/or scales. Not much option to hand my money over…

Kind of realizing what I missed out on the last decade or so and trying to catch up. Surely there are others.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Crox wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:36 pm

Kind of realizing what I missed out on the last decade or so and trying to catch up. Surely there are others.

Unfortunately this is the story if you weren't a Spyderco can from about 1980 until now lol. There were soooo many awesome models throughout just the '90s that have come and gone. I really think the last 10 years has also been another "golden age" that we'll all look back on 20 years from now.
~David
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Still wanting an S110V Military. I rather like the Military as it is, tip down carry, liner lock, and all.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035