Urban size discussion

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nate

Re: Urban size discussion

Post by Nate »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:18 pm
Need a Pingo reboot in this discussion

Missed this comment the first time around. Was just thinking a Salt Pingo would be something I’d buy. Have an orange one that’s been our pool bag knife for a few years. :)
:spyder:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

So I overlaid sketches of the UKPK and shorter Urban, then sketched out the half way house - and guess what I got - a Chaparral!

Slipjoint Chaparral? Yes, please!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

elena86 wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 4:12 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:03 pm
I think one of the main reasons that we were all upset at the change was that the K390 was just so right. We were spoiled and it got us hooked. Then, the QC issues began on later models and after that they shortened the blade and changed the profile. It sort of left us with the wind out of our sails. Many were hoping for more Sprint Runs in the K390 pattern and that just suddenly went away as a possibility.

However, now Sal is talking a Metropolitan, again, after a long hiatus. That gives hope. Will it be a Maniago knife? If so, they need a kick in the butt on the F&F. A move to Taichung or Japan or Golden would be a good thing to think about. No issues with any of those. If it is Maniago, fit and finish will make or break the new model...and fixing the pivot.

So, now we are waiting for the Metro. I wonder how long....
I don't know. He mentioned this a number of years ago and we haven't seen it, as yet. However, the blade on the Urban has been shortened to his original vision. Maybe next year? However, Sal is a man who loves surprises so I wouldn't be shocked if it came out in the next Reveal.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
thewoodpecker

Post by thewoodpecker »

Based on the fact we'll get the UKPK 3” and Metropolitan 2.75” my vote is to downgrade the Urban to 2.5” (despite my preference for the 2.6” blade shape). My only request would be full back spacers for all the Slipits. The Roadie and Urban feel better in action and balance to me vs the UKPK. Looking forward to new blade shapes and steel in the Slipit line.
Spyderco Caly 3.5 Super Blue user, Astute enthusiast, and geometry advocate.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

This is probably none of my business, as I don't carry non-locking folders. That said, while I can understand someone passing up a 2.6" bladed knife because it would put them at odds with their local laws, I have a much harder time understanding why someone would consider a tenth of an inch so critical as to pass up a 2.5" bladed one for that reason alone.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:35 am
This is probably none of my business, as I don't carry non-locking folders. That said, while I can understand someone passing up a 2.6" bladed knife because it would put them at odds with their local laws, I have a much harder time understanding why someone would consider a tenth of an inch so critical as to pass up a 2.5" bladed one for that reason alone.
I know what you mean. However, aesthetically there is a great difference when it comes to this particular knife design. Also, when cutting apples or something, that little bit makes all the difference. One has to factor in the fact that there is a finger choil taking up part of the blade.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

I'll willingly admit that my lobbying activity in this matter is strictly selfish, although seeing a great design like this rise to it's full potential and not be gutted by silly (though real enough) laws, would surely please many more than just myself.
As I've said before, the handle of the Urban fits me perfectly, it's only natural for me to want to fill it with as much blade as possible.

First of all, the blade on my HH S90V Urban measures approx. 2.48" when I measure the shortest distance between the tip and the handle. With all the crazy reports we get from knife owners who have had a bad run in with the law, I wouldn't bet my (so far) clean criminal records and all the privileges that comes with that, that that's the way it will be measured by anyone, anywhere, at any time.
I can for instance measure 2.63" from tip to handle along the (bottom) edge.

That said. The increase from 2.2" of cutting edge (as measured on mine) to 2.31 which would make up the approx. difference between the current Urban and AEB-L/K390 versions, is about 6%. Not amazingly different, but not necessarily too little to notice. If my salary increased by 6%, I would definitely notice :)

However, I don't think the potential for this handle stops at 2.61". From my very approximate measurements, I would guess it's possible to safely stuff 5mm more blade into my HH Urban. That's 9% more cutting edge. In such a small knife, I think those couple of mm's would prove useful.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Nov 03, 2021 10:35 am
I agree with the tenth of an inch not being a big deal. It's the shape of the 2.5" blade that makes it so much less usable. All belly on a blade this short really has a negative effect on the utility of the knife for me.
-Turbo
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

On a small knife, the effects of even small changes to blade or handle are disproportionately amplified, I think.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

In FL I can mostly carry what I want. That said, the AEB-L Urban is “enough knife” most of the time. I like the idea of a slightly longer Urban. I’m not thrilled about the “new” shorter one. Looks too much like a Squeak to me. I don’t care for the proposed “metropolitan” name; any reference to cities in the names of knives makes me not want one. I guess GM already claimed the name “suburban.”

A 2.75” slipit modeled after the Urban (as opposed to the UKPK) with a 2mm thick wharnie blade would be very high on my list. Make it in Golden too plz!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What's wrong with the city reference? Literally came out to meet city laws

I am curious how popular the squeak is compared to it's bigger siblings
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Don’t much like cities, especially the attendant crush of biology and the infringements on liberty. There are reasons to have and use a short blade besides bad law; I like the “Urban” for its excellent utility.
foofie

Post by foofie »

I love the UKPK, even though I have no restrictions.
I would also get the metropolitan in a heart beat.
What I wonder - would the metropolitan canabalize sales of the urban (that is 2.5in)? Besides very few locales like Boston, there would not be much reason to get the urban over the metropolitan. And if the metropolitan were viewed as too large, there is still the squeak?
Perhaps a different way to differentiate the line-up would be making one of them a wharncliffe? I love the lambsfoot idea too. Kind of like how the Rock Jumper is able to maintain a distinct identity from delica/endela?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Foofie,

It's more about serving the individual needs/desires of our customers than worrying about sales. I believe that the Slipit concept will gain Global appreciation as a simple functional easy to carry and use EDC. Different folks have distinct preferences on things like blade size and overall size. Good ergos are appreciated when using the tool. We're learning to serve the ELU (End Line User) of 2025-2030. Sales will be the determining factor in the future of the concept.

sal
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

In France, laws are harshly restrictive. However, traditionnal knives are tolerated (Laguiole's signature slipjoint, older slipjoints, opinels, SAKs...).
The Slipits, according to law enforcement friends, are a good way to not seem "aggressive" and show that the knife is use for actual cutting task, from eating to tinkering/working.
Being a slipjoint automatically includes it in the "traditionnal tool" category for a lot of people not used to knives here.

Having 1/4" appart brings choices in the matter. There are laws but there is also the perception by the authorities, strangers and relatives. I do think the end user has to be comfortable with the knife he owns, and not being afraid of using it. Some people might think 3" is too big for a public setting, and others won't, etc.
An Opinel N°13 will always rise some eyebrows while a N°8 is perfectly fine :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds