Poll... Crucarta ...Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Crucarta... Is it the Micarta, the Steel or the combination of both?

I'm more interested in the canvas Micarta scales!
33%
I'm more interested in the CPM Cruwear/Z-wear steel!
19%
Just the perfect combination!
42%
Other!
7%

Total votes: 107

Leksy

Re: Poll... Crucarta ...Poll

Post by Leksy »

I believe this is some kind of marketing magic :) The "Cru-carta" is almost a meme. In my experience, Cru-wear does not provide any deal-breaking properties in everyday tasks. However, I admit that exceptional engineering work has been done to move this model to regular production line. Maybe I'll buy it on occasion.
Wright.88

Post by Wright.88 »

Definitely more interested in the scales. Cruwear is a great steel, but I really like micarta scales and Spyderco hasn't produced very many knives with micarta recently. I would be interested in this knife in any steel that holds an edge as well or better than S30V.
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

I'm not going to start another poll but it would also be interesting to know if it would still be an interesting combo if the Micarta was not canvas.
•• Beau
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Crox wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 7:57 am
I marked both but have mixed feelings.

I don’t have a huge collection and I’m trying to get variations. For the crucarta pm2, it is my first pm2. I love micarta so I would say that was the main feature for me. Additionally, I don’t have any folders with tool steel and I really wanted to try cruwear. So, it checked 3 boxes for me.

If I really think about it, I actually think it is kind of a bad combination. A tool steel blade that needs some amount oiling next to scales that can look mucked up if they get oil on them….. maybe it is just a good excuse to fondle the knife more and keep it looking good :winking-tongue

No need to oil Cruwear. It is very stainless for a tool steel. If you are treating it so poorly that is rusts, then the scales are going to get messed up along with the blade.

Also, the micarta gets a patina of its own the more you use it and get your hand oils on it. It darkens with use. Only a safe queen is going to keep that light brown fuzzy finish! :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:34 am
Crox wrote:

I don’t have a huge collection and I’m trying to get variations. For the crucarta pm2, it is my first pm2. I love micarta so I would say that was the main feature for me. Additionally, I don’t have any folders with tool steel and I really wanted to try cruwear. So, it checked 3 boxes for me.

If I really think about it, I actually think it is kind of a bad combination. A tool steel blade that needs some amount oiling next to scales that can look mucked up if they get oil on them….. maybe it is just a good excuse to fondle the knife more and keep it looking good :winking-tongue

No need to oil Cruwear. It is very stainless for a tool steel. If you are treating it so poorly that is rusts, then the scales are going to get messed up along with the blade.

Also, the micarta gets a patina of its own the more you use it and get your hand oils on it. It darkens with use. Only a safe queen is going to keep that light brown fuzzy finish! :)
My PM2 came with no noticeable oil on it. I'm assuming they wanted to keep it away from the Micarta. It was very light out of the box and I'm excited to see it progress to a darker shade.
•• Beau
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Still waiting..... I'm trying to be patient and give SMKW a full 2 business days before contacting them about my order. It is really hard. It just continues to say "processing" when I check and they are typically same day ship out. So.....trying to be patient.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I like my Crucarta Shaman just fine, but I voted “Other!”.

Why? Simply because I don’t want another spate of exclusives like the natural/“jade” G10.

Do I reject other micarta and steel combinations on an existing or new model from time to time? Of course not.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue Nov 02, 2021 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

It's the combination that does it for me. I've always been partial to micarta scales, but I don't think I'd be as excited about a micarta PM2 in S30V (well probably S45VN now..I'd probably still want that haha..). I enjoy cruwear, but having other PM2s already, I wouldn't necessarily feel the need to go out and get a G10 Cruwear PM2. Combine micarta and cruwear though.. I knew instantly that I wanted this PM2! It's a match made in knife heaven, I think.
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I guess for most people it's the combination of both.

My particular reason to buy such a knife would only be the steel.
Edge junkies tend to like steel, even if it's attached to a twig :')
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Scales for sure.
Crox

Post by Crox »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:34 am
Crox wrote:

Thanks for your input on this.

No safe queen here. I’m all good with my hand oil leaving it looking well used. Looking forward to it. Just don’t love the idea of globing something on it that leaves an obvious spot.

I have some 1095 fixed blades (that I have fought rust on) along with some very stainless spyderco folders. All well used. I know that the cruwear has some chromium, I just (mistakenly) think of it as non-stainless and put it in the same maintenance bucket as my 1095 knives. Clearly not in the same league of rust potential I suppose.

I’ll take a deep breath and try to leave it alone.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I like cruwear, but the primary interest for me is the micarta. It's my favorite handle material and I hope it gets used more going forward.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I like linen micarta.
Magna Cut/micarta aka Magna Carta should be in a lot of knife models as well as Titanium Magna Cut aka MagTi. Z-Max, I hope catches on in titanium aka Ti-Z (Pronounced Tiz zee, like “in a tizzy”. LC200N aka Cronidur 30 aka Z Finit needs to be in more modes imho but LC200N is not “catchy” marketing wise. I want LC200N to be renamed some derivative of Trifecta being at least good in toughness, edge retention and stain free. Maybe spyderco or someone can make a new steel with a little tweak to add a tad more vanadium or something to aid in a bit more edge retention and call it Trifecta.
Is a Titanium lock side Micarta Show side called a MiTi (Mai Tai)
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Cruwear is cool, but micarta is my favorite material and spyderco seems to get really high quality stuff. Id buy a knife in any steel with their micarta scales
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I came for the cruwear. Micarta is just a cool upgrade.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I love both…although K390 is really starting to nip at Cruwear’s heels for me with its ease of sharpening, insane aggression, strop-friendly nature and edge stability. It doesn’t have the same stain resistance but eh. That’s about 5th on my personal list of priorities. What Cruwear truly has over k390 is your choice of abrasives in sharpening…that’s another major factor. If you needed to, you could get Cruwear sharp enough to use with an Arkansas stone, using your belt to strop in a pinch.

For me, that combination is about having a crazy sharp, stable edge with comfortable, attractive scales. I think there’s a bit of collectors’ koolaid involved with this but my most “prized” spydercos are mostly crucarta.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
attila

Post by attila »

I have enough Cru-wear to last a lifetime or 3, so the allure of micarta is much more compelling than that of Cru-wear for me. However, the allure of Z-wear is much more compelling for me than that of micarta.

Yeah, I know that it’s the same recipe as Cru-wear, but my fondness for Z-wear is considerably greater, because the first knives that I made myself were Z-wear, so I’m more fond of it.

Unfortunately, the one Z-carta Shaman I was able to get had an absurdly fat BTE thickness, and the tip grind was jacked up, so I sold it. Due to the vast array of options these days and my ever-increasing quantity of knives, however, my affinity towards any steel already owned is far outweighed by quality control issues.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Revival

Post by Revival »

Love the combination. Wouldn’t mind other steels with micarta in the future.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Cruwear is my all time fav steel. Not a huge micarta fan but that being said, I can't wait for a crucarta Para3.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Magna Carta.

I like that, Fireman.

This combination would need to be in a model we don’t yet have.

Call this model the Amendment. We could expect a First, a Second and other “expressions”.

But, I digress.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”