What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
attila

Re: What Spyderco is in your pocket today??

Post by attila »

Carrying these two today:
C515C192-83C2-4015-8048-159BEBEC6079.jpeg
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:07 pm
You’re one of the members here who really do put your knives through the wringer. I wouldn’t expect Cruwear to measure up to the high edge retention / wear resistant steels, but part of what I love is the compromise space it occupies. What are your impressions of toughness? Does it deal with use that would chip the wear resistant steels? Or do you find it doesn’t really excel there either? I need more time with my Z-wear shaman, but so far *I think* my Cruwear Millie beats it. Maybe it’s just blade geometry.
Toughness has been solid for my use at work, no complaints there. The factory edge on my Shaman took a couple rolls, but after sharpening it and leaving it at a 600 grit finish it's been a stud in that aspect.
Hey Rick!

I’ve been wondering, how has the edge retention been since you’ve sharpened your Cru-carta Shaman? Also, have you noticed a difference between it and the other Cru-wear you have?

How would you say that it compares to your non-factory edges of 20CV, 204p, and S30V in your use?

I’ve felt that my Shaman was heat treated a bit softer than it should have been, but I also don’t have much opportunity for edge testing like you do, and feelings don’t count for much in this realm.

Thanks!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

attila wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:27 am
Carrying these two today:
C515C192-83C2-4015-8048-159BEBEC6079.jpeg
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 5:02 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Oct 20, 2021 4:07 pm
You’re one of the members here who really do put your knives through the wringer. I wouldn’t expect Cruwear to measure up to the high edge retention / wear resistant steels, but part of what I love is the compromise space it occupies. What are your impressions of toughness? Does it deal with use that would chip the wear resistant steels? Or do you find it doesn’t really excel there either? I need more time with my Z-wear shaman, but so far *I think* my Cruwear Millie beats it. Maybe it’s just blade geometry.
Toughness has been solid for my use at work, no complaints there. The factory edge on my Shaman took a couple rolls, but after sharpening it and leaving it at a 600 grit finish it's been a stud in that aspect.
Hey Rick!

I’ve been wondering, how has the edge retention been since you’ve sharpened your Cru-carta Shaman? Also, have you noticed a difference between it and the other Cru-wear you have?

How would you say that it compares to your non-factory edges of 20CV, 204p, and S30V in your use?

I’ve felt that my Shaman was heat treated a bit softer than it should have been, but I also don’t have much opportunity for edge testing like you do, and feelings don’t count for much in this realm.

Thanks!
Hey Attila,

Ever since sharpening that Shaman and leaving it at that coarse grit, retention does seem to be a bit improved. That could also be due to the fairly coarse finish as well, but it has been noticeable.

My only other CruWear is the DLT Delica which I actually just finished sharpening and brought down to around 12-14dps on my Coarse DMT diamond stone. I haven't used it since yet though, so nothing to report on that...though I will say I was pretty uninspired with the factory edge.

I still prefer the edge retention in that 20CV family of steels though, I've always seemed to have slightly better results after a couple days of work compared to my Cruwear knives.

I'll tell ya what, my HH UKPK and Smock that I recently sharpened...No microchipping or anything, very easy to grind and get the desirable edge I was looking for. I'd rank S30V right there with those other steels after giving them a fresh edge. My UKPK is silly sharp right now, that I don't even what to use it and ruin it haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know I already posted here today, but decided to include one with these beauties together.

-Rick
attila

Post by attila »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 9:59 am
Hey Attila,

Ever since sharpening that Shaman and leaving it at that coarse grit, retention does seem to be a bit improved. That could also be due to the fairly coarse finish as well, but it has been noticeable.

My only other CruWear is the DLT Delica which I actually just finished sharpening and brought down to around 12-14dps on my Coarse DMT diamond stone. I haven't used it since yet though, so nothing to report on that...though I will say I was pretty uninspired with the factory edge.

I still prefer the edge retention in that 20CV family of steels though, I've always seemed to have slightly better results after a couple days of work compared to my Cruwear knives.

I'll tell ya what, my HH UKPK and Smock that I recently sharpened...No microchipping or anything, very easy to grind and get the desirable edge I was looking for. I'd rank S30V right there with those other steels after giving them a fresh edge. My UKPK is silly sharp right now, that I don't even what to use it and ruin it haha!
Thanks!

That last sentence amuses me a lot, as the thought occurs to me after every sharpening as well! Losing the edge via cutting stuff isn’t all bad though, so I don’t mind.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Cscottsss

Post by Cscottsss »

Carry from yesterday for Halloween.

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
bjz

Post by bjz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:05 am
I know I already posted here today, but decided to include one with these beauties together.

Every time I see your Watu, I consider saving up a couple years worth of pocket knife budget to pick one up and order some koa scales!!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bjz wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:53 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 10:05 am

Every time I see your Watu, I consider saving up a couple years worth of pocket knife budget to pick one up and order some koa scales!!!
Thanks! Yes, it's an expensive package but makes the knife feel more like what I would picture it in it's "natural state" Kind of wish I opted for the version without the holes, but I still enjoy it very much. What's cool about these scales if you look at them from a different angle, they have a different look. Kind of like a hologram!

-Rick
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
bjz

Post by bjz »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 12:00 pm
Thanks! Yes, it's an expensive package but makes the knife feel more like what I would picture it in it's "natural state" Kind of wish I opted for the version without the holes, but I still enjoy it very much. What's cool about these scales if you look at them from a different angle, they have a different look. Kind of like a hologram!
When cut right, highly figured woods like koa and maple definitely get that hologram effect! It can be striking…I have a couple of stringed instruments with figured maple that do that (no koa in the house currently).

Trifect seems to have a set of “spring meadow” scales currently available that I might actually like better than the wood. If the “blue money” or “starry night” scales were still available, I’d probably have to make some significant budget adjustments to make a custom scaled watu happen right now! My reality is that this would end up being just a very occasional weekend carry for me…but maybe I make it one of my two planned “heirloom” knives (very long range gameplan is to acquire two really nice knives and down the road when I’m too old to safely operate a laser sharp knife, hand them down to my two nephews…they are newly teenagers and if allowed by their parents, I’m planning to get them their first knives for Christmas this year as part of their annual gift of tools).
z1r

Post by z1r »

Cscottsss wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:40 am
Carry from yesterday for Halloween.

ImageUntitled by Caleb Bender, on Flickr
Nice!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Wow! The last few pages have alot of great photos!

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

My Spydies don't get babied at all, but still I don't sharpen them with a metal file... ;)

It are my throwers that get their pretty messed up and blunted tips made pointy again with that file, and the Endela happened to be just my carry for today.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

:unicorn
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:04 pm
When did you get a Yojimbo? :winking-tongue
Seriously man, your hand makes that Yojumbo look small!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Makes ya' wonder if maws like that require toe nail clippers instead of the run of the mill size nail clippers.. :winking-tongue
Last edited by skeeg11 on Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Makes ya' wonder if maws like that require toe nail clippers instead of the run of the mill size nail clippers. :winking-tongue
Nuh Nups

Post by Nuh Nups »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:09 pm
Makes ya' wonder if maws like that require toe nail clippers instead of the run of the mill size nail clippers. :winking-tongue
😂
Now THAT is funny!
M.N.O.S.D. member 0026
vivi

Post by vivi »

Nuh Nups wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:01 pm
vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:04 pm
When did you get a Yojimbo? :winking-tongue
Seriously man, your hand makes that Yojumbo look small!
It's been in my pocket most days for the past month and a half.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90653&p=1556284#p1556284

Grew really fast on me. It's my most carried knife behind the Pacific Salt.
:unicorn
knifemovieguy

Post by knifemovieguy »

It's been so long since the last fog

mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

Drunken
drunken 09.jpg