When the virtually inevitable Paramilitary 2 LW drops...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Stainless

Re: When the virtually inevitable Paramilitary 2 LW drops...

Post by Stainless »

IDK call me crazy but Im starting to like my Para 3 Lightweight more than my G10 model.
Team Para 3 M390/20cv/204p | We need a #VanaxPara3
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Stainless wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:31 pm
IDK call me crazy but Im starting to like my Para 3 Lightweight more than my G10 model.

I often like to talk about the initial intent behind a knife design.

The Para 3 was designed as a compact knife and a smaller/lighter PM2. The more compact/lightweight it is, the more the design shine. Hence why, like you, I think the Para 3 LW is better than the G10 version. Going LW and linerless is the perfect extension of the initial intent behind the Para 3.

The Para 2 was designed as a tough middle-sized slicer. Making it as lightweight as possible isn't really the initial intent behind the knife. I don't think we can just apply the Para 3 LW formula on it and making it better. Now a FRN version, with liners, would be great because it would keep the "sturdy" feeling and performance, while giving it all the advantages of FRN (better mold and thus better ergo, no more snail scratch...)

All in all, design as a whole is a beautiful thing and it reflects on knives as such.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Forum member Dazen just posted the pic below (from the new Spyderco Bite) in another thread (viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90961#p1567075 - Dazen, I hope it´s ok that I borrowed your pic!)

Now the PM2 in the pic obviously has a BD1N blade - I just speculate (and said it in that other thread already) if this could be a hint that the release of a PM2 LW is coming closer?
After all the base Para 3 LW model also has a BD1N blade...

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FK

Post by FK »

I cannot remember how many PM2 versions I have,,, would never purchase a PM2 LW due to the problems with the present Para 3 LW.
Spyderco engineering really dropped the ball with the Para 3 LW,,,, they should have asked Seki-City for their input on FRN design.

Regards,
FK
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

FK wrote:
Fri Oct 29, 2021 2:30 pm
I cannot remember how many PM2 versions I have,,, would never purchase a PM2 LW due to the problems with the present Para 3 LW.
Spyderco engineering really dropped the ball with the Para 3 LW,,,, they should have asked Seki-City for their input on FRN design.

Regards,
FK

Which problems does the Para 3 LW have? (If you mean the centering issues: I respect that this can be an issue for people, but not for me).

Honest question, I tried one quite recently for a month or so. And though I generally still just can´t really warm up to the model itself, and the FRN felt a bit more "plasticy" than on my Seki FRNs - the actual quality was perfectly fine!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)