Optimal inclusive angle for S110V

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Soanso McMasters

Optimal inclusive angle for S110V

Post by Soanso McMasters »

What would be an optimal inclusive angle for sharpening S110V to both take advantage of its excellent edge retention properties whilst also reducing chances for chipping the blade given its relatively low toughness? Does a 40 degree edge reduce chances of chipping versus a 30 degree? Thanks in advance!
Sharp Guy

Re: Optimal inclusive angle for S110V

Post by Sharp Guy »

I can't give you a firm answer to your question but I reprofiled my S110V knives to 15° per side and never had any problems. I cut a lot of cardboard that way along with wood, poly banding, etc
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Soanso McMasters

I definitely plan to do some whittling with it. Nothing intensive, just idle whittling.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Side pressure is to avoid with s110v like with Maxamet. But if you cut putting pressure on a 90° angle with the apex, no prob laying the angle down.
I sharpen it at 15, 30° inclusive
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’m comfortable taking S110V to 15dps. I could get away with a little lower angle for my uses but the edge retention it would gain by a lower angle is not worth the reduction in toughness, given its a high wear resistant steel to begin with.

It’s really going to depend on what you do with it. I’ve seen a Cruwear para 3 chip with a factory edge, for example, but I have a cw Manix I’ve taken below 12dps with no issues. The thinner you go, the more careful you’ll need to be.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

It can handle 30 inclusive from my experience. I haven’t gone lower with S110V.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

30 deg incl is safe in my experience.

This Manix has a convex a few deg less than that, but with a 30 deg incl micro bevel. I was conscious from the onset that I may be pushing the limit of what the steel can handle ever so slightly, but it has proven over time to be robust enough as a slicer, but I am careful with it. Nowadays it is my high edge retention toolbox knife.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Soanso McMasters

For those running a 30 inclusive, would you worry about whittling sticks or no worries there? That’s likely to be the hardest use it will see.
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I would bring down the factory angle a little, maybe to 18dps 36 inclusive, and try it out. Once you start to get some chipping, you’ll know you’ve gone too low.
me2

Post by me2 »

How much control do you have over the angle you want? To truly optimize the angle you’ll have to experiment and go lower a little at a time and see if the edge is damaged. I lower mine 3 to 5 degrees at a time and use it for a couple weeks and repeat until I either get tired of sharpening or I find the angle I want. I got S110V down to 12 degrees per side with a 15 degree microbevel on the Sharpmaker.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Not to be all "#me too" here, but I also have been running my S110V Manix at 15 dps (no micro bevel) for house contracting work. Yes, lots of wood carving and anything else that comes up. No visible chippies yet. It did need a resharpening after 8 weeks of contractor work. Also, I did lose the very tip (a fraction of a mm, almost not visible by eye...can you see it below?) due to accidentally running the tip into concrete, but...that's to be expected and the blunting sharpened out easily.

Have really enjoyed how sharp the S110V stayed for 2 months of work. During this time I probably went through a dozen blades in my ute knives. Was expecting S110V to be more delicate than it is, but having used it awhile, I treat it like any other steel at this point, I don't baby it like I used to. (Granted, I don't run it into nails, either! That's what the Hackzall is for...!)

Also really appreciated the light weight and flat profile in my pocket. I can carry a much larger knife without discomfort or even awareness, when it's FRCP or FRN handled. I usually carry a Caly 3 but the FRCP Manix 2 didn't "feel" much larger due to its low weight.
Attachments
workingmanix.jpg
Spook410

Post by Spook410 »

Another me too: 15 degrees per side. Keeps a keen edge for a long time. Never had it chip. Use it mostly for saltwater fishing.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

We should start a group ! Alone I am 15, but together we are 30.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Soanso McMasters

me2 wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:24 am
How much control do you have over the angle you want? To truly optimize the angle you’ll have to experiment and go lower a little at a time and see if the edge is damaged. I lower mine 3 to 5 degrees at a time and use it for a couple weeks and repeat until I either get tired of sharpening or I find the angle I want. I got S110V down to 12 degrees per side with a 15 degree microbevel on the Sharpmaker.
I have a KME but for the sake of ease I will mostly us my Spyderco system with 30 or 40
me2

Post by me2 »

How low can you go angle wise with the KME system?
Soanso McMasters

I think it’s 17 dps
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 9:52 am
I think it’s 17 dps
You can go quite a bit lower than 17 on most knives if you flip the bracket that holds the guide bushing the rod slides in, upside down.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

This guy goes from wondering what knives are "flickie" last week to wondering what angle to grind S110V at, of all steels. That's a wild turn.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Soanso McMasters

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:31 pm
This guy goes from wondering what knives are "flickie" last week to wondering what angle to grind S110V at, of all steels. That's a wild turn.
I have plenty of knife experience, just none whatsoever with Spyderco. I like flickie knives and I like good steels, but Spyderco offers such a wide array that I’ve never used before. I’ve come here in ignorance of Spyderco knives both in terms of mechanical function and in terms of certain steels. That’s why I am asking lots of questions. To learn. I presume this is an acceptable use of this forum?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:06 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:31 pm
I have plenty of knife experience, just none whatsoever with Spyderco. I like flickie knives and I like good steels, but Spyderco offers such a wide array that I’ve never used before. I’ve come here in ignorance of Spyderco knives both in terms of mechanical function and in terms of certain steels. That’s why I am asking lots of questions. To learn. I presume this is an acceptable use of this forum?
Just saying it's quite a difference. Most around here don't care or talk much about flickie stuff because it's not really what the knife is for...and then going into sharpening/reprofiling something like S110V is the complete opposite end of the spectrum. Like going from novice to expert in a video game difficulty level. That's all.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick