Where are the Chaparral LW colors?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Where are the Chaparral LW colors?

Post by RamZar »

I hope Chaparral sticks to its original mission of highlighting various handle materials. Sage’s mission used to be all about various locking mechanisms but no longer. Pity.

New handle materials for Chaparral: stainless steel (super slim), Micarta, true CF, diamond arc G-10, solid copper, etc.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Double post
Last edited by Doc Dan on Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Changing the color of an existing handle material is not moving away from the intent of the knife, in any way whatsoever. There will still be new scale materials of various kinds and changing the FRN color does not interfere or change that mission in any way. Like, for example, the titanium scales. they did four patterns of those and one of those they offered the same pattern with color choices. Let's get real.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Toucan wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 4:23 am
I really like pastel colors. You don't see many lavender or pale green knives.
I thought I replied to this already, but maybe not: HEAR HEAR

Sun & Moon, Rainbow Trout, Caribbean are great examples of some of the best looking/most interesting knives in the lineup. So are the forest green & sage green scales ala DF2 or Wolfspyder/Brouwer, but that's a different story.

Let's get some pastels, neons, weird patterns (ala colored vinyl) and gradients going. Surely FRN is able to be mixed in cool ways? All due respect but we are drowning in a sea of martial masculinity drag palettes, if after 10,000 years there isn't enough I Have A Job Greyscale, Weekend Warrior OD, or [redacted] yet, there will never be. Or from a different angle: I wear a lot of black, but almost all of my socks, undies, hats etc. are SUPER colorful/patterened, because it's fun, because it looks good and I have Clincially Excellent Taste, and because a little, or a screaming lot of color never hurt anyone. It's healthy for you. For us. Besides, the knives say EARTH on them, so as I see it there's an obligation to represent our bright little marble to the rest of chaos and/or the cosmos.

On that note, I recently saw an old Spyderco box that was green with a spider web on it. It was OUTSTANDING, whoever designed it deserves a hi five and a beer, and why on earth was it ever abandoned/not picked up for the whole line? It's just about the best looking packaging in the gd knife industry, and from a company with "Spyder" in the name, you love to see it :bug-white-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I'm totally not against more FRN colors of Chaparral since the price is so good at under $100 but I'd like to see more handle materials: Stainless Steel (super slim and some with engravings), Micarta (a variety of them), True CF (a variety of them), Forest Green G-10 with Diamond Arc Pattern, Solid Copper, etc.

I have almost all of the Chaparral models since 2011 including the CF/G-10 Laminate with S30V and XHP. The only one I don't have is the Blue Anodized Stepped Titanium. I got two samples from two different dealers and the blue anodization was patchy with some sections darker and some faded. Looked awful so I sent them back. Love the regular Stepped Titanium which is an absolute functional piece of art. Very detailed and time-consuming CNC milling on the titanium.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

bleasure wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 4:08 pm

Let's get some pastels, neons, weird patterns (ala colored vinyl) and gradients going. Surely FRN is able to be mixed in cool ways? All due respect but we are drowning in a sea of martial masculinity drag palettes, if after 10,000 years there isn't enough I Have A Job Greyscale, Weekend Warrior OD, or [redacted] yet, there will never be. Or from a different angle: I wear a lot of black, but almost all of my socks, undies, hats etc. are SUPER colorful/patterened, because it's fun, because it looks good and I have Clincially Excellent Taste, and because a little, or a screaming lot of color never hurt anyone. It's healthy for you. For us. Besides, the knives say EARTH on them, so as I see it there's an obligation to represent our bright little marble to the rest of chaos and/or the cosmos.
Ah, another person of taste and culture! The more I think about it, the more I'd really like a pale lavender Chaparral! More weird stuff would be nice. Glitter in translucent FRCP? FRN tie-dye? Micaratra made of lacey tea doilies? We've seen cool micarta made of Mexican blankets, maybe some floral brocade micarta could be cooked up?
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like pastels. I never thought about them for a knife, however. I suspect there would be a draw for some people. I'm not sure I'd want one, but who knows? My wife would love them, though.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

sal wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:33 pm
You have to keep in mind that any color that is attached to a steel chemistry would be off limits unless the model was made with that steel. That's one of the reasons we tooled up for an FRN variation. With that in mind, blues would include K390 and SPY7, etc.

sal
I’m brand new to the Spyderco world, and I had no idea certain colors are only used with certain steels. Is there a list of what steels get what colors that I could look at? My first Spyderco (FRN Chaparral) just arrived and I’m excited to check it out. I also have a Cat and Lil’ Native ordered.

My dad passed away last year and his probate just finished up so I am going to buy a couple of nice knives with the bit of money leftover. He bought me my first knife (which was lost long ago during a move) and taught me how to use and sharpen it. What, if anything, would you recommend for this (perhaps silly) honor? When I carry them they will be a tribute and reminder of him.
JMM

Post by JMM »

I absolutely love the Chaparral LW & would love to see different colour & steel combos, perhaps a SE XHP version??

I have a Cold Steel "Lucky" that has both PE & SE (XHP) blades and I think serrated XHP works great, and Spyderco serrations are way better than any other I've tried.

The Chaparral LW is such an amazing little folder -- PLEASE make more colours/flavours/versions!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:51 am
I like pastels. I never thought about them for a knife, however. I suspect there would be a draw for some people. I'm not sure I'd want one, but who knows? My wife would love them, though.
I thought the recent Blade HQ M4/Robin's Egg Blue sprint was really nice. Unfortunately, I don't need another P3LW as much as my car needed a new suspension. :woozy
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:35 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:51 am
I thought the recent Blade HQ M4/Robin's Egg Blue sprint was really nice. Unfortunately, I don't need another P3LW as much as my car needed a new suspension. :woozy
Mint Green, wasn't it? Maybe I missed one. I am all for colors to choose from.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:14 pm
No, I think you're right - there's been a rash of lighter-colored sprints lately and I got confused. :woozy

Either way, the pastels are nice - I think they help the knife look non-threatening.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
No, I think you're right - there's been a rash of lighter-colored sprints lately and I got confused. :woozy

Either way, the pastels are nice - I think they help the knife look non-threatening.
They do, for a fact. Black, to me, is something I can't figure. Black makes a knife look threatening, but maybe that's the point. There are a lot of people that live in a fantasy world where they want a knife to look bad and by extension they look bad.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

I'm down for any color but black, but I think a white FRN handle on the Chaparral would look particularly nice.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:10 am
kennethsime wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 11:43 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

They do, for a fact. Black, to me, is something I can't figure. Black makes a knife look threatening, but maybe that's the point. There are a lot of people that live in a fantasy world where they want a knife to look bad and by extension they look bad.
We could go the Dessert warrior route, that would make the knives less threatening, and more treatening ! :cheap-sunglasses
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bleasure

Post by bleasure »

Ramonade wrote:
Sun Oct 10, 2021 8:22 am

We could go the Dessert warrior route, that would make the knives less threatening, and more treatening ! :cheap-sunglasses
Seriously, that thing was inspired. I have one, and love carrying it. I also appreciated the runs of brighter spydercos lately, including the white. But I am REALLY on board for glittering knives, are you kidding? That would rule
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:03 pm
So whaddayouwant? I'm sure there are some also curious.

sal

Whatever your favorite color is, of course.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Robbob,

Naaahh. I'm a gray sort. or not bright anyway. We made the Chaparral in FRN to be able to offer variety you wanted.

sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Yeah, I still like earth tones best (gray, coyote, forest green, earth tone blues, etc.)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050