Random: General Spydie Chat

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Mrs.Critter

Buying Spyderco just to sell on EBay

Post by Mrs.Critter »

:bug-red In my opinion, folks who buy Sprint Run or Custom Spyderco knives, for the sole purpose of selling them on EBAY at a ridiculous price, just to make a nice profit, are greedy jerks. Why would you want to do that to a fellow knife collector or enthusiast? If you’re like me, setting alarms & calendar reminders, posting the website link right to your home screen, and credit card in hand ready to purchase that specific Spyderco that you NEED :star-struck or will die without :squinting-tongue then you know how it feels….. to see those 3 devastating words “out of stock”. :disappointed Oh, but look!!!!!!! There are 7 on EBAY for 2-3 time the price. :eye-roll
Please stop making people like me cry. For really real…. It’s not cool. :pleading
:spyder: Courtney :spyder:
SG89

Re: Random: General Spydie Chat

Post by SG89 »

I want what she's on lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:17 pm
Seriously, how many knives does a knife knut need?

I know that I have WAY too many knives to ever really use, and could qualify as an unhinged knife weirdo even after moving on 60% of my accumulation...

I know this has been brought up several times, as how many knives do you really need etc. and some people have gotten down to just a handful of knives, but I'm not looking to do that...I just want to free up some of the money that never sees the light of day but when I start to separate them out, it is WAY harder than one would think.

Am I the only one who finds it exponentially easier to accumulate these things than it is to decide which ones should go? The crux of the issue perhaps...

Haha, maybe I just needed to type this out...any personal experience or insight is welcome though!

Thanks all!
I've been struggling with this too. I have way (way) too many knives, and while I can afford the ones that I have, it does seem wasteful to have so much "fun" money tied up in knives, especially many that are similar. Conversely, I do get much joy out of owning and using them all, and yet I am fully aware that I will never be wearing out any specific one. I am well beyond any meaningful definition of 'need'.

I've sold a few over the years, but never meaningful numbers to actually reduce the collection, more to get rid of ones that I didn't really connect with for one reason or another. I am currently considering getting rid of some (even ones I like) to reduce the overall size. My first task was just to make a list of my "core" knives, which were the ones I'd keep. This ended up being about half the collection, and included both sentimental knives as well as my favorites from the patterns that I have duplicates of (i.e. trying to keep only a few of my PM2s).

As a first step, I was going to pull the non-core knives out of my case and set them aside. Then see how I felt after a few weeks of not having access to the non-core ones. If I don't miss them, then maybe I will get rid of them. Seemed like a better first step than just listing them all for sale, and potentially regretting it later.

However, at this point, I've only managed to make the list, so we'll see how this goes. Regardless, simply being aware of the overall size of my collection has significantly slowed down my intake over the past few years. I no longer am tempted by every iteration of knives I already have. New steel or color is no longer a good enough rationale to buy. So I consider that progress.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I'm very into the hobby, but have also found that as I try to keep my limit to 28 knives (that's what my display stands hold)...it's really not that hard. Over the past couple years I've probably sold around 15 knives that I would have said shortly after buying them, that I would NEVER SELL THIS ONE!!! But, a year or two later...they were expendable. Lost interest in the model, too many of that model, too many knives already in that steel or color. I've found, that I really don't miss any of them and sometimes forget I even had them.

Obviously there are sentimental knives that will stick around, but not being able to purge a collection hasn't been difficult for me and it's nice to know that most of those knives, in the big picture really didn't mean that much and just helped fund knives in the current rotation. I think some folks just get too caught up in the fact that a knife was an exclusive or sprint and no longer available...but if you only carry it once or twice a year, what good is it really to you anyways??
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I knew General Spydie when he was a Colonel! :bug-white-red
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
James Y

Post by James Y »

TBH, if the people who buy up the sprints and resell them at inflated prices actually cared about other knife enthusiasts, they wouldn’t be doing it in the first place. But they don’t care. They CAN’T care; it’s not in their nature.

Thankfully, I’m not one who is into sprint runs or custom Spyderco knives. Even the upcoming Ayoob sprint (the only sprint run I’ve ever been interested in); if I end up missing out on it, it won’t really bother me at all. So I give no power at all to the “flippers.”

Jim
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

What is your preferred sharpness check?
So it goes.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mrs.Critter,

Welcome to our forum.

Hi David. Ouch! Having been a bee Keeper, I've have gotten into an angry hive more than once and was quite sore for a while. Hope you get better quickly.

sal
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I found over the years that I my preference collecting knives is mostly knives I know will get use and not gather dust in my display curio cabinet . Sure I do have a few reserved knives that have very special meaning to me that have been gifted to me or I have purchased to commemorate a special event in my life . A few years ago I looked over my collection and decided to thin the herd so to speak . In some ways it was a painful process . Do I miss these knives ? Actually very few since I evaluated each potential Knife with my needs . Over the years I have done very well avoiding the repeater syndrome . I don’t need a knife in 6 colors and different steels . For those who do I say enjoy ! If you like doing that sort of thing I get it but doesn’t work for me.
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Michael Janich wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:47 am
For a great, now free, reference to knife laws, I highly recommend the Legal Blade Smartphone app. It used to be a paid app that benefited KnifeRights.org. Then Blade HQ sponsored its update and made it free. It covers all categories of knives and addresses state preemption (where the state law takes priority) and situations where municipal laws are stricter than state laws--like Boston.

Very handy and easier to navigate than Google searches, which may turn up outdated information or inaccurate guidance from Internet wizards.

Stay safe,

Mike
Hey Mr. Janich there is another great source of information on knife laws throughout the USA and Canada. That is the AKTI which is the "American Knife & Tool Institue". I had been a member for years and I need to renew my membership ASAP. But I've even gone to their meetings at the BLADE show and they are a great bunch of people and they know the score on knife laws throughout the USA and for Canada to some degree.

Being armed with knowledge can make the difference between jail cell and freedom in many cases. First off stay out of New York City. I've heard more nightmare stories of people visiting the Big Apple even being jailed for something as mundane as Swiss Army Knives for crying out loud.

Here in the state of Missouri we are blessed with a 4 inch blade length limit for folders which I think is quite reasonable. But not every state is that free. Their website is www.akti.org.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 9:10 am
TBH, if the people who buy up the sprints and resell them at inflated prices actually cared about other knife enthusiasts, they wouldn’t be doing it in the first place. But they don’t care. They CAN’T care; it’s not in their nature.

Thankfully, I’m not one who is into sprint runs or custom Spyderco knives. Even the upcoming Ayoob sprint (the only sprint run I’ve ever been interested in); if I end up missing out on it, it won’t really bother me at all. So I give no power at all to the “flippers.”

Jim
Jim I'll keep you informed as I get info on the upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run. I've been watching this one very closely for obvious reasons. I'm pretty sure you'll be able to get either a PE version or at least one SE version if you're ready to order within a two week time period of it's release.

I've been mind blown at the interest shown for the SE version on the thread that I had going. That's not normally the case with Sprint Runs that are similar. But either edge type for this model C-60 are both big winners IMO. I've got to have one of each just for EDC uses.

But I do think anyone who wants one of the C-60 Sprint Run models better be ready to pull the trigger ASAP or else they will probably all be sold within a month or sooner. Just a gut feeling I have.
Pickmansmodel82

Post by Pickmansmodel82 »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:26 am
VERY VERY lightly draw across the calloused part of my thumb, to feel how it “bites”.

Care is to be taken, for in the words of the wife “Let me get a towel. At least you’re getting better at sharpening, right?”
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Airlsee wrote:
I usually just tap my fingertips along the edge and see if it sticks. If it feels sticky sharp I take it to some arm hairs and see if it pops hairs without touching my skin. If it does that, we're good to go!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

I keep my knives semi sharp, I like just sharp enough to shave and have to have pressure on skin. Hair popping sharp requires to many band aids.

I'm actually proud of myself, I didn't buy a SE police 4 yet. I actually need to sell a few, just hard to part with a Sprint/dealer exclusive.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 12:34 am
Hi David. Ouch! Having been a bee Keeper, I've have gotten into an angry hive more than once and was quite sore for a while. Hope you get better quickly.

sal

Thanks Sal, pretty much back to normal now. I guess bee keeping isn't in my future

🤣

All SE all the time since 2017
~David
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Wow. Relief!
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Pickmansmodel82 wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 6:46 am
Airlsee wrote:
VERY VERY lightly draw across the calloused part of my thumb, to feel how it “bites”.

Care is to be taken, for in the words of the wife “Let me get a towel. At least you’re getting better at sharpening, right?”
Same method, not the safest but over the years i found out that it is a pretty good indicator when you do that for the entire length of the edge.
I also look at it very closely while moving the light source around, I only have a digital microscope but I'm thinking about a x20 or 40 magnifying glasse if such a thing exists at low price.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

I like to test sharpness on paper, specifically the yellow pages/phone book. Sometimes I shave some forearm hair. The paper though I can feel and hear a difference as I cut when it’s sharp enough. I usually shoot for a good working edge, not hair popping.
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Similarly, I prefer to use receipt paper these days. I used to use phonebook paper a lot, but now phonebooks aren't easy to find and I've grown to prefer the really thin receipt paper that you get from most stores these days. I convinced an employee at Staples to give me a blank roll of their receipt paper after finding out they only sold the thicker stuff. It will last a lifetime because I usually just use whatever receipts would normally go straight in the bin.

The feedback you get is fantastic.
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Airlsee wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:50 pm
Similarly, I prefer to use receipt paper these days. I used to use phonebook paper a lot, but now phonebooks aren't easy to find and I've grown to prefer the really thin receipt paper that you get from most stores these days. I convinced an employee at Staples to give me a blank roll of their receipt paper after finding out they only sold the thicker stuff. It will last a lifetime because I usually just use whatever receipts would normally go straight in the bin.

The feedback you get is fantastic.

Buy a pack of cheap rolling papers. The thinner the paper the better, especially if it has a tendency to fold before it cuts. If you really wanna go nuts try tissue paper.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David