Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
RamZar

Re: Sal - YOU are not listening to us

Post by RamZar »

As a right-handed person who carries his folders in his right front pocket (all the way to the right) I only want the clip tip up for safety reasons. Additionally, on an aesthetic level, I personally dislike all the extra holes drilled on scales (up to 4 sets of holes and in Spyderco’s case 3 holes per set) for other forms of clip carry and also dislike lanyard holes. I find many folders now with no lanyard holes and only tip-up right-hand carry. Here’s an example:

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093

OP, I suggest that you read the thread to which I posted a link above. We have a culture here on this forum and you are new so I am cutting you some slack. You have been disrespectful. Sal and Eric do listen to us, all of the time. They may not agree, but they do listen. Read the thread. If you want to stay around here, I suggest that you learn how we post our disagreements in a respectful manner.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The next "funny" and very oversimplified thing is to put it like as if listening (to btw. actually a tiny fraction of all customers) would be the same as obeying to what is wished for... :smirk

I´ve seen many times here that Sal DOES listen, respond and I am sure even take into account what is said here as one of many inputs.
But to actually base company decisions on comparably very few voices who most likely don´t even really know the market would be even irresponsible I guess...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Sal's pretty durn good at listening to the voices on this forum. After all, it is his baby. As a good businessman, he's more inclined to react to those suggestions or ideas he thinks have merit.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

First of all, if there ever was a first world problem, this is the one.

Second, a business man was once quoted;
“Some people say, "Give the customers what they want." But that's not my approach. Our job is to figure out what they're going to want before they do. I think Henry Ford once said, "If I'd asked customers what they wanted, they would have told me, 'A faster horse!'" People don't know what they want until you show it to them. That's why I never rely on market research. Our task is to read things that are not yet on the page.”

he wasn’t entirely unsuccessful.

Third, I like Spyderco knives, but I will not retain myself from criticizing or suggesting improvements when I feel it’s called for, but this title is both unfair and misleading.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

aicolainen wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:04 am
First of all, if there ever was a first world problem, this is the one.
This exactly. Its easy to swap the clip around. The marks on the scale can be buffed off, or not... If you use it it won't matter. If it's a collector piece, why even move the clip? Just leave it as is, new in box.

Complaining about it, then saying Sal doesn't listen when he undoubtedly does (jd spydo and his massad ayoob thread is proof of that) is just bad form.

We are seriously lucky to have spyderco and Sal to give us amazing knives and amazing steel options. Starting an inflammatory thread over the position of a clip.... I'm not even going to say what it is because shiny footprints and all.

Just move the clip and use the knife. Or don't. I don't care. Continue posting, or don't, it's a free country.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Araignee

Post by Araignee »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 8:17 pm
Maybe the new stickers that Spyderco ships with every new knife nowadays can be sandwiched in the clip, makes the stickers more functional. Simple fix. 🙂
For the record, my Chaparral raffir came with a dedicated clip sticker.

(But not with the cool new sticker in the box 😭)
Attachments
DSC04005.JPG
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

OCD... You are a shining example of why I don't frequent this forum as much as I used to.

All you want to do is complain. About what?

Something as trivial as the factory positioning of a clip, that can be remedied with a few seconds of work?

That the clip left a mark on your precious tool's handle?

I would say, that Spyderco listens to their customers too well and that is what creates people like you in this community.

Your level of perceived entitlement is sickening and to express that entitlement with such disrespect, is infuriating.

You do nothing to make this a better place, you only serve to hasten it's slide into the pervasive negativity inherent with internet communication.

We don't need or want you here. I hear that Twitter has a userbase that you would fit right in with.

Sod off, you tosser.

Respectfully,
SDG
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I think the topic starter is very disrespectful!

ASF
archangel

Post by archangel »

austrian_spyder_fan wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:05 am
I think the topic starter is very disrespectful!

ASF

+1. Rude.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
vivi

Post by vivi »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:44 pm
Someone please argue from a fact driven point of view. I'd respect the **** out of it.
Here's a fact: It takes less time to swap the clip to tip up than it took to write your original post ;)

As for those tiny, inconsequential marred specks on the handle? Unless you're preserving your pocket knives for a museum why even care?
:unicorn
archangel

Post by archangel »

vivi wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 8:35 am
Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 5:44 pm
Someone please argue from a fact driven point of view. I'd respect the **** out of it.
Here's a fact: It takes less time to swap the clip to tip up than it took to write your original post ;)

As for those tiny, inconsequential marred specks on the handle? Unless you're preserving your pocket knives for a museum why even care?

You nailed it, vivi.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
attila

Post by attila »

While I agree that PM2 clips are better (for me) as tip-up, the OP ruined the potential of this thread from the get-go by being very rude.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I don’t care for the tone of this thread but I’ll throw in my two cents.

In my experience I think it is fair to say the vast majority of people I’ve communicated about this prefer tip up, myself included. This forum is not the only place knives are discussed.

The OP is aware how quick it is to change the clips position, but it does expose marks left where the front of the clip was resting and more importantly, where the back of the clip (3 hole pattern) was sitting. I and many I’ve spoken with find those marks annoying regardless of whether or not the knife was to be used or not.

Many people who have no skin in the game carry the knife tip down as it was received from the factory just because that’s how it is. If the knife arrived tip up they would carry it tip up. So what’s the harm in making the switch straight at the factory to appease the many customers that do care.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wish all knives came tip down.

OP came in with guns blazing. I am surprised you have given him five pages of attention already.

I’m out!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

It seems like tip-up is more popular. I assume Spyderco has better data than me. Either way, not a big deal for me.
Perhaps_OCD?

Post by Perhaps_OCD? »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm
It seems like tip-up is more popular. I assume Spyderco has better data than me. Either way, not a big deal for me.
Nothing to do with data. It’s simply how it’s always been and because Eric likes it better. About to update the original post with the quotes so this thread can end.

Asking nicely to change it, like has been done repeatedly over the years, and being an *** (like I was) won’t change the opinion of someone who’s decision has nothing to do with customer preference.

I’ll still keep buying at least one knife from Sal’s company a month. I probably have $10k in his fine knives.
Matus

Post by Matus »

Don’t mind me, I just came here to try to have the last word …
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 11:36 pm
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=28093

OP, I suggest that you read the thread to which I posted a link above. We have a culture here on this forum and you are new so I am cutting you some slack. You have been disrespectful. Sal and Eric do listen to us, all of the time. They may not agree, but they do listen. Read the thread. If you want to stay around here, I suggest that you learn how we post our disagreements in a respectful manner.
OP, please be this advice; it is spot on! The title of this thread is antagonizing and disrespectful as well as being patently untrue.
How many other companies do you know of that the founder drops in to welcome new members to the forum as well as frequently answering questions and participating in discussions?
Frankly, and I'm trying to be courteous here, your initial post sounds flat out whiny and entitled.
I think there is a way one can advocate for ones interests without sounding petulant. For one, start by spreading some accolades. Try thanking Sal for all of his/ Spyderco's past receptive essay and politely ask he/ they consider your request with a succinct explanation of why you think it's a great idea and NOT an accusatory implication that "you're not listening".
You catch more bees with honey than you do vinegar!
Last edited by Cycletroll on Sun Sep 12, 2021 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Perhaps_OCD? wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 1:11 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Sep 12, 2021 12:59 pm
Nothing to do with data. It’s simply how it’s always been and because Eric likes it better. About to update the original post with the quotes so this thread can end.

Asking nicely to change it, like has been done repeatedly over the years, and being an *** (like I was) won’t change the opinion of someone who’s decision has nothing to do with customer preference.

I’ll still keep buying at least one knife from Sal’s company a month. I probably have $10k in his fine knives.
I'm reasonably certain the Sal has access to the opinions of a lot more of his customers than you do. How about doing us all a favor and crawling back under your bridge.