If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Trav64

Re: If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by Trav64 »

Great explanation, been trying to improve my free hand sharpening
nails1908

Re: If you are NEW to sharpening, or having DIFFICULTY, YOU NEED TO SEE THIS THREAD

Post by nails1908 »

VG10 Gyuto. Nowhere near as good as some of you guys but I'm still learning. Pretty new to freehand. This was Shapton Glass 1K and 2 micron strop. Just a few minutes of work.

https://i.imgur.com/fxKD33K.png

https://i.imgur.com/CaDdOt0.png
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Often times steel and heat treatment get blamed but a wire edge from poor sharpening practices is very very common.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Often times steel and heat treatment get blamed but a wire edge from poor sharpening practices is very very common.
Always great info Shawn. I have personally learned a ton from you over the past few years.

Thank you for taking the time.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:21 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Fri Jan 07, 2022 8:05 pm

Always great info Shawn. I have personally learned a ton from you over the past few years.

Thank you for taking the time.
Second that. Shawn's videos are some of the first I turn to for information. There is so much great info to digest.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

10x Loupe Versus USB Microscope

Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Only just saw this and as per usual, Great Thread, Shawn. :cheap-sunglasses

I find if I can’t see a burr or feel it with my onkaparingas, if I lay the blade on each side of my unshaven face and one side “bites” into bristles but the other doesn’t the same, the side that bites has the burr.

It’s funny how even with ultra light strokes on a fine SharpMaker ceramic you can still push a minuscule burr.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:56 am

I find if I can’t see a burr or feel it with my onkaparingas, if I lay the blade on each side of my unshaven face and one side “bites” into bristles but the other doesn’t the same, the side that bites has the burr.

It’s funny how even with ultra light strokes on a fine SharpMaker ceramic you can still push a minuscule burr.
Yes, most definitely.

Its also really nice to see whats going on.

Theres some interesting things happening at the edge sometimes.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:56 am

True, True!

I sort of "test" the same way as I go through the whole, fully de-burr process, and have learned the same thing. Though I "test for bite, or shave-ability" on my arm or leg.

If one side bites/shaves, but the other doesn't - the side that bites/shaves has a burr.

If both sides bite/shave, then you MAY be fully de-burred and have a clean apex.
OR your burr may just be standing straight up, in-line with the edge. A very light pull across various "softer" materials (cardboard, index card(s), ) will push that straight up burr to one side, or the other, (or both, lol) and you go from there, until it's gone.

Some knives take a little more time than others... Even some times can take a little longer than other times, with the same knife... but, it's always so worth it.

I find myself bemused when I read, or hear, where someone says that lightly pulling the edge across an index card or soft piece of wood will ruin it's edge...
In my opinion, it shouldn't. In my experience, it doesn't. If it does, then perhaps it was a burr "you" had, and not a clean, de-burred, actual edge...

Great photos and video Shawn.

u.w.
mtb

Post by mtb »

Trying to experience different sensations on different blade steels... Diamond compound and strop are still on their way here, so only stropped with Flexcut Gold for the time being

560BK-1 in M4

Puukko in 3V

TRM Shadow in 20CV

WE MRF in S35VN