DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: DLT Kapara Exclusive!

Post by Sharp Guy »

rhaug wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:04 pm
I’m starting to regret that I passed on this one… is there going to be another production run at some point? Being an Exclusive doesn’t mean it is a limited edition, right? The HH UKPK comes to mind.
DLT is one of the dealers that have don't more than one run of their exclusives. So hopefully they'll do another run of these Kaparas. I have a CF Kapara from the first run. I like the one I have just fine but I kind of regret not picking up the DLT one. If they decide to do another run I might get one. We'll see
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Hullk

Post by Hullk »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:27 pm
rhaug wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:04 pm
I’m starting to regret that I passed on this one… is there going to be another production run at some point? Being an Exclusive doesn’t mean it is a limited edition, right? The HH UKPK comes to mind.
DLT is one of the dealers that have don't more than one run of their exclusives. So hopefully they'll do another run of these Kaparas. I have a CF Kapara from the first run. I like the one I have just fine but I kind of regret not picking up the DLT one. If they decide to do another run I might get one. We'll see
Didn't DLT Trading just release more of the M390 Para 3? Maybe the could do the same with this?
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

Carbon fiber/s30v > g-10/20cv ;)
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

Just add some pics from this summer with the DLC Kapara on my lil' group:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/nemokni ... 9057157527

Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

capt.carl wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:42 am
Carbon fiber/s30v > g-10/20cv ;)
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

This might be my all time favorite Spyderco. It feels great in the hand, the action is fantastic and its a star in the kitchen.
Nemo3000

Post by Nemo3000 »

And 20CV by Spyderco got a bite enhanced by the Kapara geometry.
It is easy to keep it highly sharp for a very long time. No chipping at all too.
Fantastic steel+ heat treatment+geometry on the Kapara.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Bringing this back up…I’m considering a watu or kapara. For the folks who have both/all, can you comment on differences? I’ve seen “pre-owned” and nib versions of the DLT kapara on the bay for $250-$400. Is $250 really worth the near 25% (or nearly 100%) secondary market price premiums?

Is the smooth g10 any grippier than the CF? I haven’t tried 20cv steel yet, but in general tend to prefer the sharpening experience of stuff like vg10 and bd1n more than my one s30v knife…thoughts there?

Is kapara any better than say a native chief in xhp? Any smaller feeling (I medium hands and the chief seems like a sword rather than a pocket knife to me)

Thanks for any input (I know there are plenty of dirty enablers out there willing to try and convince me into all of them)
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

bjz wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:22 am
Thanks for any input (I know there are plenty of dirty enablers out there willing to try and convince me into all of them)
I don’t have a Watu, so I can’t comment on that.

But in your situation I would say just to get the standard S30v/carbon fiber. The G10 on the 20cv is just as smooth and not worth the markup. I’m sure there will be other exclusives in the future.

The Kapara has some of the best ergos of any Spydie I own and it does feel smaller than a Chief (I think of it as a fancy Endura with a compression lock)
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

bjz wrote:
Bringing this back up…I’m considering a watu or kapara. For the folks who have both/all, can you comment on differences? I’ve seen “pre-owned” and nib versions of the DLT kapara on the bay for $250-$400. Is $250 really worth the near 25% (or nearly 100%) secondary market price premiums?

Is the smooth g10 any grippier than the CF? I haven’t tried 20cv steel yet, but in general tend to prefer the sharpening experience of stuff like vg10 and bd1n more than my one s30v knife…thoughts there?

Is kapara any better than say a native chief in xhp? Any smaller feeling (I medium hands and the chief seems like a sword rather than a pocket knife to me)

I own the regular production Kapara in S30V. It's edge is the same as the Endura. Minus the slick feeling, once in hand it is amazing. It is my favorite design. I will probably get DLT's Micarta scales currently on their website to hopefully add grip. Much prefer over the Watu, but again it is my favorite design. I do wish it was a backlock or liner lock due to the shallow handles, but that has been discussed here many a times.

The Watu is also a great design with very neutral grip. It is a little blocky, but I like it. You can grip right behind the edge which is really nice. The tip is close to the outer scale and it has accidentally opened it my pocket a couple of times. I don't worry about that with the Kapara. Also the Watu is blocky at the back, so a little harder getting the hand in and out of the pocket.

My choice is Kapara first.

Last edited by JSumm on Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Personally I would wait and see if there is a future exclusive Kapara. I really don’t think this knife would be ignored for a special run . Standard model scales are beautiful, just wish had same steel as Watu .
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Revival

Post by Revival »

My advice would be check the secondary market.

It was 2 years between DLT’s first and second run of their Red Para 3 M390. Their second run appeared to be random and it was a small batch.
Last edited by Revival on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

JSumm wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 pm
bjz wrote:
I will probably get DLT's Micarta scales currently on their website to hopefully add grip.
I’ve been carrying my 20cv Kapara with the Micarta scales all week and I would definitely recommend them for the added grip. The smooth scales are the only complaint I had with the original.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

FourStringFiend wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:47 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:50 pm
bjz wrote:
I will probably get DLT's Micarta scales currently on their website to hopefully add grip.
I’ve been carrying my 20cv Kapara with the Micarta scales all week and I would definitely recommend them for the added grip. The smooth scales are the only complaint I had with the original.
That is good to hear. It is my biggest complaint. I hate not using those beautiful CF scales, but I know it would get carried more.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Aww, I saw the original post and thought JuPaul had returned and was posting again. :-||
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have both the original Kapara and Watu. Truly lovely executions.

IMHO, neither needs what the other has, nor an exclusive.

I do wish the Kapara had been released with the G10 insert in the color of the spider marking that Alistair wanted. I followed up with him to get the proper color.

I hope the Kapara will come out in the rumored slipjoint version.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bjz

Post by bjz »

Revival wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:36 pm
I recently purchased a lightly used one on the secondary market for $150. Just need to know where to look, but I also go lucky.
I try to keep a minimal online profile (err, distraction), and this place is pretty much it…I suppose I should just suck it up, get a Reddit profile, join the swap and kiss my bank account away 😂
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I don't have a Watu, but the Kapara is smaller than the Native Chief, aligned at the forward choil in the photo below.

For vigorous work, I would still prefer the Chief, as the smooth G10 and slimmer profile of the Kapara make it feel less secure in my hands.
native chief vs kapara.jpg
P.S.

I miss Julia too, as well as MSea and Spydergirl88. I hope they are doing well.
Revival

Post by Revival »

bjz wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:28 pm
Revival wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:36 pm
I recently purchased a lightly used one on the secondary market for $150. Just need to know where to look, but I also go lucky.
I try to keep a minimal online profile (err, distraction), and this place is pretty much it…I suppose I should just suck it up, get a Reddit profile, join the swap and kiss my bank account away 😂
GL
Last edited by Revival on Tue Dec 14, 2021 5:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Okay, thanks everyone! After looking at what I’ve acquired this year, I can only pick up one “oh shoot, Taichung prices are going way up” knife before the end of the year. I’m choosing the Watu!

I’ve been wanting one all year…

I tried using a SS stretch as a “kitchen adjacent” knife, which is what I really see a kapara as, and keeping it clean got to be a pain so I just started keeping my Bow River in that spot. I’ve tried to make an effort to carry the stretch 2, but the handle is longer than I prefer, especially when the tenacious (and harrier) fit my hand perfectly and has more edge length.

Soooo, for now, I’m going to sit tight on a kapara (I’ll prob end up with one in the future as it’s mighty classy. But perhaps I’ll try and get one in hand first!

Thanks again for all the input, and Jeff, those pictures were perfect!