Models you'd like to see return.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Models you'd like to see return.

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:03 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:27 pm
Evil D wrote:
Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:20 am
Ayoob (coming eventually, but I'd love to see more steel variants)

Ulize in full SE
Can we shout a big AMEN!!! somebody??? I've been on pins and needles awaiting the upcoming Sprint Run of the C-60 Ayoob. I also would love to test drive a ULIZE model in full SE. Heck they could even do a Salt Series rendition of it and I would be happy.

Yeah I hope that the C-60 Ayoob goes over so good that it will eventually be available in a good selection of blade steels.

Of all the recurve models I would like to see with TEETH the ULIZE is also one I would like to see the most. Also I would love to see the return of the G-10 Harpy and a G-10 version of the Spyderhawk>> it's high time for some premium grade Hawkbill models IMO.

I know this is going to sound crazy but I almost want the SE Ulize more than the Ayoob. They're pretty similar in some ways actually. I just really want to try that big recurve with serrations, I really think it's possibly the best of both worlds having basically a hawkbill and a belly all in one. I don't see why it isn't possible because it's more or less just a Civilian turned around the other way.
The more I think about it your point is completely spot on. Because when I think of a recurve with TEETH I believe you would get optimal performance from a bigger folder with a longer blade like the ULIZE. Now If I had a second pick of a Recurve with tEETH it would be the Spyderco/Kershaw collaboration known as the Spyker model. It was one of the first recurves that I really appreciated and enjoyed using.

But without any doubt the ULIZE would be an awesome cutting tool with TEETH. You could use it in different cutting applications like "Pull cutting" as well as several other maneuvers. It would be excellent for jobs like field dressing a deer or any other demanding job.

For the life of me I've never understood why Spyderco never ever tried one of their Recurve blades in full Spyderedge. I just know in my gut they would be a super cutting machine.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

Rookie G-10 and the R.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Lum Tanto & Schempp Kris.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Rookie
Caly 3
Small Persian
Worker
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:59 am

Would re-continued discontinued models be better, with screws in place of pins, with newer steels in place of older ones, etc.?

And, would it matter to anyone that modernized older models will deny us an appreciation of the decisions that got us to this point in Spyderco’s history?

I'm probably repeating what others have posted, but usually reruns come with new steel options or at least a different handle, so there's always something new about them. In cases where manufacturing can be upgraded or improved I would be all for screw construction, but that isn't always a case of "inferior manufacturing", because pins are used in situations where you need to put the fasteners close to the edge of the handle and Sal has said this can't always be done with screws. So for example, an all screw construction Kiwi 4 may just be impossible.

As for potentially devaluating the originals, I don't personally see that as an issue, but I'm sure a lot of collectors and mostly people trying to cash in on selling older models may feel that way. My interest in an original Ayoob has definitely dropped with the upcoming sprint, but that has more to do with not wanting to pay $300+ for a used one. I'm also not a collector though so it's harder for me to justify "OMG it's BNIB and worth so much money" prices when I intend to use the knife anyway. That's like buying a low mileage vintage car just to turn around and daily drive it. I guess if people can afford to do that then good for them.

My one exception here as you mentioned is vintage micarta. I've started a small collection of older micarta stuff, specifically SE micarta models, because the likelihood of seeing something like that made today is so slim. But, even here I'm looking for gently used models for low prices that I can use and not feel like I'm throwing money away.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Filoso-

Post by Filoso- »

Worker. A new edition for its 40th anniversary would be awesome.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

JD Smith in upgrade steel . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I accumulated what should be an adequate supply, to last my lifetime, but the Gunting, a collaboration with Bram Frank, remains my favored discontinued Spydero model. It is not just a matter of the ramp, as I would love the Gunting, even without the ramp, but the ramp is a very intuitive (for me) opening system, and beats the Emerson Wave, in that the Wave opens the blade, upon withdrawal from the pocket, whereas the Gunting’s ramp is used after the knife is already clear of the pocket. This allows the Gunting to be in-hand, discretely, yet then opened quickly, when the time is right.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Cricket - as an updated FRN Cricket 2 LW SE and/or a Cricket-fly and/or Cru-carta-ket
Dodo - as an updated FRN Dodo 2 LW SE and/or Dodo-fly and/or Cru-carta Dodo
Worker - as an updated FRN Worker 2 LW and/or Cru-carta Worker
Spyderhawk - as an updated FRN Spyderhawk 2 LW SE H1 Salt
Catcherman - as an updated FRN Catcherman 2 LW Salt in SE, PE, and CE
Lil Matriarch SE - as an H1 SE Salt version
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I've always been a fan of the original Spyderco C95 Manix and would welcome its return.

The C95 Manix is a nice, big, BEEFY knife with the reliability of a lockback mechanism. When I first came upon the Spyderco website, the C95 Manix PE was amongst the first :bug-red-white s that I ordered. There is just something practical, comfortable, and reliable about the C95 Manix that I don't quite feel with the current line of Spyderco Manixs.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:38 am
wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:59 am
And, would it matter to anyone that modernized older models will deny us an appreciation of the decisions that got us to this point in Spyderco’s history?
As for potentially devaluating the originals, I don't personally see that as an issue, but I'm sure a lot of collectors and mostly people trying to cash in on selling older models may feel that way. My interest in an original Ayoob has definitely dropped with the upcoming sprint, but that has more to do with not wanting to pay $300+ for a used one. I'm also not a collector though so it's harder for me to justify "OMG it's BNIB and worth so much money" prices when I intend to use the knife anyway. That's like buying a low mileage vintage car just to turn around and daily drive it. I guess if people can afford to do that then good for them.
Just to be clear, my interest in original models has nothing to do with preserving their value. All my Spydies are users (some lighter than others, admittedly), as my grandson will eventually learn.

Historical perspective is what matters to me here. Disco’d models amount to lightning captured in a bottle. Remakes are just less magical to me, which is not to say that truly new models, like the Rock Jumper, are less magical to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:44 pm
Cricket - as an updated FRN Cricket 2 LW SE and/or a Cricket-fly and/or Cru-carta-ket
I didn't know the Cricket or Dodo were ever made in FRN.

What is a "cricketfly"? A balisong cricket or something?

The Catcherman is a model I rarely hear about, for some reason. I think it's cool, personally.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Raylas wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 am
steelcity16 wrote:

The Catcherman is a model I rarely hear about, for some reason. I think it's cool, personally.

There was an FRN Cricket at one point, but never a Dodo. I am just saying I would prefer a new version of these models to be in FRN, which is my personal favorite scale material.

The Cricketfly and Dodofly are two fantasy knives I dreamed up in threads long ago that are basically Cricket and Dodo blade shapes in the body of the current Dragonfly model.

The Catcherman is one of those classic iconic models in my opinion that is just begging for a new run. It definitely needs an updated handle though with bidirectional texturing and metal clip.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Water Bug wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:20 pm
I've always been a fan of the original Spyderco C95 Manix and would welcome its return.

The C95 Manix is a nice, big, BEEFY knife with the reliability of a lockback mechanism. When I first came upon the Spyderco website, the C95 Manix PE was amongst the first :bug-red-white s that I ordered. There is just something practical, comfortable, and reliable about the C95 Manix that I don't quite feel with the current line of Spyderco Manixs.

Good call! This is the other one I have brought up many times. Remaking the original C95 in Cru-carta with the original dino jimping would be a dream for me!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:26 am
JD Smith in upgrade steel . MG2
Slam Dunk!! Touchdown!!! A Home Run over the Center Field Wall!!! The JD Smith in a Supersteel blade would be a renaissance of a Spyder Classic that would sell like Superbowl tickets. The JD Smith has been in my JD's Top 10 favorite all time Spyders for a long time now.

And it's high time for a revamped version of the DODO as well. :cheap-sunglasses
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

steelcity16 wrote:
Super Good Line up!! A Dodo with M390 blade and Carbon Fiber handle
A Worker in G-10 handle, M-4 blade
Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle>> whatever steel they select
A Catcherman in full SE is a super good fillet knife and would be great in LC200N or MBS-26 again.
But each one on that list deserves another run.
Raylas

Post by Raylas »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:17 am
Raylas wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 3:59 am
steelcity16 wrote:

There was an FRN Cricket at one point, but never a Dodo. I am just saying I would prefer a new version of these models to be in FRN, which is my personal favorite scale material.

The Cricketfly and Dodofly are two fantasy knives I dreamed up in threads long ago that are basically Cricket and Dodo blade shapes in the body of the current Dragonfly model.

The Catcherman is one of those classic iconic models in my opinion that is just begging for a new run. It definitely needs an updated handle though with bidirectional texturing and metal clip.

I like FRN too. Especially because it comes in lots of colors, I like stuff besides the standard black and silver sometimes, ya know? And I never knew about the FRN cricket, but I'd buy that if they made it, especially in a choice of bright colors.

The Cricketfly and Dodofly concepts are awesome, and I love that idea. I'm a fan of the Dragonfly as a model, so any variant of it has my full interest.

The catcherman is a high-quality folding Filet knife, and to the best of my knowledge, there's nothing filling that niche in the market. I dunno how many would sell, but if there's nothing filling that niche, it's either not a market worth pursuing, or it's very much underserved and a good chance.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Catcherman model could also be marketed in the culinary field as well as an outdoor and fishing knife. I use two of my Catcherman models pretty much exclusively in the kitchen and they are great tools for food prep. And really easy to clean and maintain as well.

It's a mystery to me too as to why the Catcherman fell on the sales charts the way it did. The concept of a folding fillet knife is not really new or unique. Buck had one years ago and more recently Benchmade had a fairly nice one on their line up. But of all the ones I've looked at I haven't had one come close to the Catcherman in quality and performance. And why Spyderco took the full SE version out of the lineup is a super mystery to me. Because the full SE Catcherman is one of my very favorite food prep tools. If they ever make a new one or a Sprint Run in full SE I'll buy it in a heartbeat.

They just need to be creative on what steel they would use in a newer one and possibly look into a different type of pocket clip>> It wouldn't take much to make that model really attractive again IMO.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Most fishermen are cheap bastids and they targeted the wrong demographic. :zany Kinda joking here, but there are all kinds of low to moderately priced filet knives out there so it might be a tough nut to crack. I've often wondered if they had targeted an upscale market perhaps it might have been a different story.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Salsa, Khukuri, Barong, Balance.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal