Is the Sage model too good?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sharp Guy

Re: Is the Sage model too good?

Post by Sharp Guy »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 am
Still one of my favorite designs. Robust, classy, slicey, carries perfect. Really hoping we get a taste of your REX121 LW Sal ;)

↑ This pic makes me want to seriously look for the blue G10 Sage 3 so I can complete the collection. Most of them I've seen for sale recently have been priced higher than I paid for my Sage 4

Sage 4 pic just for fun...

Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
kobold

Post by kobold »

Maxamet Sage
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I love the bolt action sage--I have multiples (and both variants). I'm less a fan of the liner lock version. I'm so-so on the comp lock. My second favorite is actually the back lock--I wish that one hadn't been discontinued, or at least that I'd been forward thinking enough to grab another when it was.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Liner lock Sage is my all time fav. Awesome looks and great performer. I would kill for a denim blue Crucarta Sage1.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Brock O Lee wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:14 am
One of my worst fails was to pass on a Sage 4 with Ironwood and Ti bolsters. It was available for a steal on a local secondhand market, and I figured at the time, “why do I need another Sage?”. Rookie mistake of note that I still regret.

I dunno if it'll make you feel any better, Brock, but this is one of the Sages I own...I generally go nuts for any Spyderco that has a traditional vibe, such as bolsters and wood. I like the ultramodern/retro combo. However the Sage 4 is really chunky! Wide and heavy. It looks great on my desk but I've decided it's not a knife for carry. Would pull my pants down. Though, if you like a heavy chunky knife, then the Sage 4 is your huckleberry.
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I've got a Sage 1 CF in my collection because I wanted a sturdy Liner Lock knife as well.
I whould love a Sage 4 whith wood maybe Spy27 or so.
Also the Blue Sage 2 with Bolt Lock whould please me.

ASF
gull wing

Post by gull wing »

I love lots of Spyderco models with Para 3 LW and Sage right at the top(3" area). I haven't bought a sage 5 LW, because am waiting on a different steel. ;) Like XHP, 20CV, Crew
SCARAMOUCHE! :bug-red-white
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Knife Joy seems to blue, titanium knives from Taiwan. Maybe they'll do a Sage 2 exclusive?
archangel

Post by archangel »

Question: I assume all of the 5 different Sage models are slightly different in their shapes around the pivot or rather lock area, right? No blade swapping possible between the different models?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Big fan of the Sage 5. I have a Sage 1 in Maxamet that has excellent fit and finish. I'm definitely a compression lock fanboy though, and will happily admit it.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 10:31 am
Brock O Lee wrote:
One of my worst fails was to pass on a Sage 4 with Ironwood and Ti bolsters. It was available for a steal on a local secondhand market, and I figured at the time, “why do I need another Sage?”. Rookie mistake of note that I still regret.

I dunno if it'll make you feel any better, Brock, but this is one of the Sages I own...I generally go nuts for any Spyderco that has a traditional vibe, such as bolsters and wood. I like the ultramodern/retro combo. However the Sage 4 is really chunky! Wide and heavy. It looks great on my desk but I've decided it's not a knife for carry. Would pull my pants down. Though, if you like a heavy chunky knife, then the Sage 4 is your huckleberry.
Lol I just weighed my Sage 4 and it's 4.3 oz. Yes, pretty heavy for a knife with 3" blade but it's not as bad as you make it seem. Admittedly mine doesn't get carried much but not because I think it's too heavy or too wide. It's not IMO

For reference, the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman weighs 4.9 oz. I've yet to see anyone complain that it would pull their pants down
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

abbazaba wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 7:10 am
Still one of my favorite designs. Robust, classy, slicey, carries perfect. Really hoping we get a taste of your REX121 LW Sal ;)

That’d be a contender for the highest performance knife ever made (except for customs from makers like BBB)!
The Sage has good geometry for steels like Rex121 compared to a lot of other knives.

All of the variations so far are so cool, they really deserve a lot of praise for being consistently well made.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

If it were “too good” Sal would, after creating it, have looked and said “My life’s work is complete as I cannot top this!” Then retired to a house on the beach in Hawaii. 🏝

Thankfully that’s not the case.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:51 am
Bolster wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:

Lol I just weighed my Sage 4 and it's 4.3 oz. Yes, pretty heavy for a knife with 3" blade but it's not as bad as you make it seem. Admittedly mine doesn't get carried much but not because I think it's too heavy or too wide. It's not IMO

For reference, the Cruwear/Micarta Shaman weighs 4.9 oz. I've yet to see anyone complain that it would pull their pants down

I was TRYING to make Brock feel better, Sharp. You're not helping! :grin-smiling-eyes
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 2:02 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 11:51 am
Bolster wrote:
Brock O Lee wrote:

I was TRYING to make Brock feel better, Sharp. You're not helping! :grin-smiling-eyes
Haha sorry! Some things go right over my head lol
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

Woe is me! :disappointed :grin-squint
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

The Sages are very good. I'd love a 3 and a 4. I still prefer the Native 5 overall.
Last edited by Enactive on Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
nails1908

Post by nails1908 »

I think some of you are missing my point.

I'm not saying the Sage line is "too good" in the sense that it is the knife of all knives and no one should ever make another knife again, although it is a really great piece.

I'm saying it is too good of a knife to me limited to S30V/Maxamet and just purely used to showcase different locking mechanisms. I'd love to see almost any of the locking mechanisms used (liner, back, bolt, frame, comp) but more steel variation.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

The Sage is a personal favorite of mine. I do prefer the 5, as a shameless compression lock fanboi. Have been enjoying the Maxamet Sage 1, but I always find myself wishing it was a 5 instead! Do have to say that the fit and finish on my Maxamet Sage is as top notch as it gets, even when held up against something like a Chris Reeve. Very impressive.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

My next purchase is either a Sage 5 or a Native 5. I'll eventually own both, but this thread is pushing me towards getting the Sage first.