Spyderco stones in guided sharpening system formats

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Baron Mind

Spyderco stones in guided sharpening system formats

Post by Baron Mind »

Any reason Spyderco doesn't start offering their stones in 1x6 and/or 1x4 formats? There are a couple dealers who custom cut and mount Spyderco stones for Edge Pro & KME use and they typically sell out quickly.

I'd love their new cbn stones in a 1x6. I think they'd sell well.
JD Spydo

Re: Spyderco stones in guided sharpening system formats

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm on the opposite side of the spectrum because I would love to see larger versions of the Spyderco 302 Benchstones. We already have smaller units with the Doublestuff model and with the stones on the 204 Sharpmaker. But if you can sell Sal & Co. that smaller stones would sell good then I would be the last one to stand in your way. For field sharpening I find the Spyderco Doublestuff stones to be quite handy in the field.

I'm sure that everyone's needs are different. I have so many larger culinary blades that I use my 302 Benchstones for that I could actually use some bigger ceramic stones.

Now speaking of guided systems. The Razor Edge Systems company from Ely, Minnesota has some really nice sharpening guides for using on whetstones and Benchstones. I'm hoping at some point that Spyderco will devise a sharpening guide of their own for use on their Benchstones. They do help keep the angle more consistent.
Evil D

Re: Spyderco stones in guided sharpening system formats

Post by Evil D »

There's a lot of competition for this. Congress make very good stones that fit Edge Pro blanks and they're only around $3-4 each. On the high grit end you've got Shapton who make some of the best stones I've ever used. It would be a hard market to get into, they'd need to offer something that isn't already available.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David