A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: A Case To Be Made For The Dodo Model

Post by JD Spydo »

Reject wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:15 pm
An old photo.

That's kind of reminiscent of one of lady "Simona's" great photos from years gone by. I'm wondering if it is one of hers or an official Spyderco company advertisement? Regardless of who is responsible it is a nice pic and would look great in a dealer's shop.
There were so many great photos in Spyderco ads from about 2001 to 2005.
garret

Post by garret »

I rescued this thread from a year ago because investigating my great friend dodo I see that his price is still obscene. spyderco should return to producing a small amount. A long time ago I was able to get one in CF but I would buy another SE, an incredible design on this knife.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

garret wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 pm
I rescued this thread from a year ago because investigating my great friend dodo I see that his price is still obscene. spyderco should return to producing a small amount. A long time ago I was able to get one in CF but I would buy another SE, an incredible design on this knife.
More than anything I would at the very least like to see Spyderco at least do a Sprint Run of the Spyderedged version of the Dodo ( maybe 1200 pieces). But really as much as people want this model on the secondary market they truly need to consider bringing it back for at least a year or so in both SE & PE. I've actually talked to more people in the past year that want a Dodo model than I ever previously remember.

The serrated version of the Dodo model to me is by far the best short bladed, full SE model I ever used.

And with so many larger municipalities invoking strict knife laws the short bladed Dodo would give a lot of folks a great option for an Every Day Carry where they have those draconian knife & gun laws. I do hope Spyderco takes us seriously.
garret

Post by garret »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:23 pm
garret wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 4:15 pm
More than anything I would at the very least like to see Spyderco at least do a Sprint Run of the Spyderedged version of the Dodo ( maybe 1200 pieces). But really as much as people want this model on the secondary market they truly need to consider bringing it back for at least a year or so in both SE & PE. I've actually talked to more people in the past year that want a Dodo model than I ever previously remember.

The serrated version of the Dodo model to me is by far the best short bladed, full SE model I ever used.

And with so many larger municipalities invoking strict knife laws the short bladed Dodo would give a lot of folks a great option for an Every Day Carry where they have those draconian knife & gun laws. I do hope Spyderco takes us seriously.
This was what i meant
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

There are about 6 to 8 models I can think of that have so much ongoing popularity that they could bring them back every 3 to 4 years. Then they could run the model for about 8 to 12 months so that newcomers and people that like a particular model could have continual access to them.

It would be an interesting marketing strategy and would make certain models iconic over the years. And the Dodo would be a model that would work well with continued availability. Because with as many newcomers and new Spyderco fans it would give them the opportunity to have some of the older models.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey how about a Sprint Run Dodo model in either K390 or Magnacut? Both edge types of course. This would be an excellent model to test the endurance of a blade made with K390 and/or Magnacut>> with all the fanfare of these 2 new blade steels I would think that a design as unorthodox as the Dodo this would be a great model to see just how those blade steels could do on a Reverse S designed blade.
Zive

Post by Zive »

Would love to see a St. Nick’s 4V exclusive
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:15 pm
Hey how about a Sprint Run Dodo model in either K390 or Magnacut? Both edge types of course. This would be an excellent model to test the endurance of a blade made with K390 and/or Magnacut>> with all the fanfare of these 2 new blade steels I would think that a design as unorthodox as the Dodo this would be a great model to see just how those blade steels could do on a Reverse S designed blade.
I'd jump on either or both of those! ...or even better make them regular production. ;)
-Turbo
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 7:34 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:15 pm
I'd jump on either or both of those! ...or even better make them regular production. ;)
A Dodo model in either one of those blade steels would put Spyderco high on the sales charts. I just love it when they take an older classic and go with a newer/better blade steel. And the Dodo is no exception but rather would be an excellent choice for a ramped up blade steel and maybe some handle modifications if they will make it better.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Zive wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:41 pm
Not sure how 4V would perform with a serrated edge but if they did do a Sprint Run 4V Dodo I would jump on it ASAP and take a chance.

Or they could make the serrated model with a steel that has proven successful with TEETH like XHP and make the plain edged unit with 4V or whatever upper tier blade steel they would decide on. I know in my gut it would be a "slam dunk" for Spyderco to either do a Sprint Run or to even bring back the Dodo into the main line up. They never did any of the other Sprint Runs of the Dodo in Spyderedge as far as know. Now's The Time to test the market.
Zive

Post by Zive »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:50 pm
Zive wrote:
Not sure how 4V would perform with a serrated edge but if they did do a Sprint Run 4V Dodo I would jump on it ASAP and take a chance.

Or they could make the serrated model with a steel that has proven successful with TEETH like XHP.
Sure. I was thinking more so of a plain edge version as their past exclusives have been. Not sure how serrated 4V would work, but if they released it they would get my money.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Zive wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:52 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jul 04, 2021 8:50 pm
Zive wrote:

Or they could make the serrated model with a steel that has proven successful with TEETH like XHP.
Sure. I was thinking more so of a plain edge version as their past exclusives have been. Not sure how serrated 4V would work, but if they released it they would get my money.
I would like to know if 4V would endure the rigors of a hard user blade in full SE. I really wish that Spyderco would take like 50 of the more popular blade steels and do an official hard use test on them in full SE. When they rated H-1 at the top of the heap I've wondered which other blade steels at that time were tested along with it.

With the Dodo model being a "Reverse S" designed blade it will be most interesting to see how it would do under stress. Albeit the Dodo in full SE is my most favorite small Spyderco blade in full SE.
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Yeah, I think spyderco could do a 2500+ piece sprint run that would be gone well with a week of the drop. I know you could count me in 👍!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hambone wrote:
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:55 pm
Yeah, I think spyderco could do a 2500+ piece sprint run that would be gone well with a week of the drop. I know you could count me in 👍!
That actually sounds like a nice rounded number that I would be almost certain that Spyderco could move that many units of the Dodo. However half of them would have to be serrated and the other half PE if you would want to move them really fast.

Yeah I like that number and I think that would be great for Spyderco as well as long as they did a 50/50 mix of SE & PE.