Police 4 questions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Alan99

Police 4 questions

Post by Alan99 »

I recently upgraded my personal carry knife from a G10 scales police 3 to an FRN police 4 lightweight. I really like the large blade. My only concern is that the police 3 has the Boyd dent in the lock to help prevent releasing the lock when gripped tightly but the police 4 does not. I was hope that someone could tell me why?

Thank you.
TenGrainBread

Re: Police 4 questions

Post by TenGrainBread »

Spyderco has found that with most of their current lockback knives it is actually pretty difficult to accidentally unlock while gripping, a product of tweaking the shape of the scale cutout. So Sal has stated it's not an issue of function or safety but rather consumer preference. Implementing the boye dent does add another step in manufacturing so if it doesn't affect sales or safety then it makes sense to not do it.
Last edited by TenGrainBread on Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

That and Spyderco has been designing and engineering their locks with an eye toward eliminating the need for the Boye dent since about the time they implemented it. I view the dent as a stopgap measure to address a perceived problem until it could be eliminated.
Alan99

Post by Alan99 »

thank you both. so I better understand, can someone please give me a laymans explanation of what has changed in the lock? Is it stronger? It seems the same. But I did not disasemble either knife.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Alan,

Welcome to our forum.

Some years ago, it was called to my attention, by Bob Taylor and Mike Janich, that some of our models, if held a certain way, could compromise the lock with the fleshy part of the hand pushing down on the lock bar. We implemented he Boye dent, with permission from David Boye to alleviate this issue.

As we continued to study the issue, we learned that the shape an size of the lock-well opening in the handle was the culprit. By reducing the size of the lock-well, we could eliminate the problem. We experimented with a few models using the new shape lock-well and it worked, so we eliminated the dent.

Though now, we are getting comments that some preferred the dent as an indexing point for the lock.

sal
Alan99

Post by Alan99 »

Sir, thank you for taking the time to monitor this forum and respond to customer questions. I want you to know that I prefer the FRN to the G-10 because of the FRN texture, it is easy to keep a good grip on when cold or wet or oil is on the hands. I have had an endura 4 and delica 4 with a similar FRN texture for some time.

Love your product line. I’m one of those who will most certainly buy a C-60 Ayoob when available irrespective of the type of scales.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

The benefit I find with the dent is for indexing.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Alan99 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:06 pm
Sir, thank you for taking the time to monitor this forum and respond to customer questions. I want you to know that I prefer the FRN to the G-10 because of the FRN texture, it is easy to keep a good grip on when cold or wet or oil is on the hands. I have had an endura 4 and delica 4 with a similar FRN texture for some time.

Love your product line. I’m one of those who will most certainly buy a C-60 Ayoob when available irrespective of the type of scales.
You've got some great taste in knives! The Police 4 in FRN is one of my favorites too, and in my eyes one of the best folders ever made.

If you haven't looked into it, make sure you check out the K390 version - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -K390/1907 K390, while it will rust more easily than VG10, it will hold an edge about 3 or 4 times as long!
:unicorn
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Police 4 seems easier to disengage the lock without the detent since the thumb doesn't have to push the bar in as far.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think the boye dent can make it easier to disengage the lock but it depends on the knife.

I dont think any of my Golden backlocks need one. The Golden backlocks just work perfectly as is. However I would prefer the seki backlocks had a boye dent.
Deadboxhero wrote: Police 4 seems easier to disengage the lock without the detent since the thumb doesn't have to push the bar in as far.
I feel the opposite. I cant help but feel every time I disengage my police 4 that I would prefer it to have the boye dent. My police 4 lightweight isnt too bad, but the pakkawood police 4 is not enjoyable to disengage the lock.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
MFlovejp

Post by MFlovejp »

My police models drop so nicely that I don’t miss the dent. I like the dent, but I don’t need the dent.
Current Carries: Military 4V, Stretch XL Cruwear, Sage 1 CF, Siren Sprint S90V, ZDP Delica
Wishlist: Cruwear Military, Super Blue Caly 3.5
Favorite Steels: CTS-XHP, Cruwear, ZDP-189, LC200N
sal

Post by sal »

Product development at Spyderco is always a work in progress, always leaning towards better function. We're always looking for ways to make our products better. That's why feedback is so important.

sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:09 pm
I think the boye dent can make it easier to disengage the lock but it depends on the knife.

I dont think any of my Golden backlocks need one. The Golden backlocks just work perfectly as is. However I would prefer the seki backlocks had a boye dent.
Deadboxhero wrote: Police 4 seems easier to disengage the lock without the detent since the thumb doesn't have to push the bar in as far.
I feel the opposite. I cant help but feel every time I disengage my police 4 that I would prefer it to have the boye dent. My police 4 lightweight isnt too bad, but the pakkawood police 4 is not enjoyable to disengage the lock.
I'd say at first I missed it, but after rotating the P4 and the Endura in my carry rotation I liked that I didn't have to physically push the lock bar as far into the handle to disengage the lock, so it seemed to create less pressure on my danty lil thumb.

I like what Sal said about it being an index thing, I agree.

I've carried my P4 since 2017.

It's in my pocket right now, nice and broken in, lil worn up too. Killer knife.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Alan99

Post by Alan99 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:48 am
Alan99 wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:06 pm

You've got some great taste in knives! The Police 4 in FRN is one of my favorites too, and in my eyes one of the best folders ever made.

If you haven't looked into it, make sure you check out the K390 version - https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... -K390/1907 K390, while it will rust more easily than VG10, it will hold an edge about 3 or 4 times as long!
I purchased the VG - 10 because my police 3 and endura are VG -10 and I have had good service from them. I am a working police officer, out in rain, snow, hot humid weather, cold and dry weather and need the corrosion resistance of the VG-10. I also have an older endura that is ATS -55 and has also served me well.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I can go either way with dents. Doesn't bother me in my Pacific Salt, but I don't miss it in my Chief and Police 4.

I used to prefer them for indexing, but I've become accustomed to feeling to the lock release recess in the scales instead.
:unicorn
derangedhermit

Post by derangedhermit »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 4:54 pm
I can go either way with dents. Doesn't bother me in my Pacific Salt, but I don't miss it in my Chief and Police 4.

I used to prefer them for indexing, but I've become accustomed to feeling to the lock release recess in the scales instead.
I agree. Either way is fine, and I don't think either one is inherently easier or safer. The cutout in the scales lets me find the lock release, with or without the dent. Given equal spring strength and geometry and lockbar (?) width, I find with dent is more comfortable on the thumb.

I just did a comfort test:
Most comfortable: Native 5, Native Chief (tie)
Middle: Endura 4
Least comfortable: Police 4, RockJumper

The Natives may win because the steel is slightly thicker, but I have not checked the specs.
The E4 dent would be more comfortable for my thumb if it was somewhat larger. It looks like a half-dent.
DougC-3

Post by DougC-3 »

Late to the party, but I'll add my vote. I like the Boye dent because I depress the locks with the sides of my thumbs and it's a comfortable fit to the curvature of my first thumb joint. It probably wouldn't make much difference with lightweight models, but the lock is pretty stiff on my G-10 Stretch 2 (has dent) and to a lesser extent on my G-10 Police 4 (no dent). The absence on the Police is not as noticeable now that it's been used (read: opened and closed ;)) a lot. I agree that it seems unnecessary on the Golden back locks, and I'm not concerned about the SD considerations. All these K390 knives are turning me into a back lock person.

Edit: the dent is certainly not a deal breaker either way.
Last edited by DougC-3 on Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
K-390 on hand: Mule Team 17, Police 4 G-10, Endela (burlap micarta), Endela backup, Endura (canvas micarta), Straight Stretch (now blade-swapped with G-10 Stretch), Delica Wharncliffe, Dragonfly Wharncliffe, & Dragonfly Wharncliffe shorty mod
Note to self: Less is more.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i would agree that indexing is a non-issue. even if you couldn't feel the gap in the frn around the lock, we all use these knives enough that it becomes muscle memory by the time we put it away on the first day.

i have knives with and without. i don't have a preference really.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Most back locks I've handled are designed so that if my index finger is where it should be to safely drop the blade choil/ricasso onto it, my thumb naturally knows where to go to find the lock. There usually isn't a big difference in that space until you start comparing a Police 4 to a Dragonfly.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I am indifferent to the dent. If it adds cost then I would probably do without. If it doesn’t then I don’t care.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?