Full SE versus combo edge?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Full SE versus combo edge?!

Post by Wartstein »

One thing to keep in mind with Spydercos comboedges (at least the ones I tried:

Sharpening can be a bit annoying. Not because there are two edge types (PE and SE), but because the PE part has a V grind and the SE part a chisel grind (while on the "full" SE Spydies the PE part towards the tip is also chisel grind)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:29 pm
My combo-edge journey was perhaps somewhat typical:

- At first the coolest type of edge and "the best of both worlds"
- Then: Comboedges are only for people who don´t know much about knives and a sharp PE edge can do all SE can do anyway
- Now: I prefer SE over PE, and like a "combo"-edge like on the Pac Salt: For the most part SE, but a short PE part towards the tip.
- BUT: I don´t think anymore that combo-edges can´t be very useful! In many cutting tasks it does not matter if one starts with SE and finishes with PE; and in many the SE part will be sufficient if SE is what one wants to use, same goes for the PE part.

Actually, the Delica comboedge (sabregrind) was my hard use and climbing knife for a long time. For cutting rope or cordage the short SE section is long enough, for scraping dirt or raisin from the hands or whatever the PE part is too...
I had, so far, a similar journey.
Right now, I'd like to try a FFG CE.
Honestly, I think most folks here overthink this issue, much in a similar way most knife aficionados overthink the SE use and properties.

Don't think, do.

Or, better said: don't think, cut!
Grizzly

Post by Grizzly »

I've had only one combo edge and that was on a Gerber Gater I bought for hunting long ago. The rear serrated edge proved excellent for cutting - almost sawing - open the brisket. I've been eyeing a Pacific Salt se but doubt I will ever buy a combo edge again.
stanolszews

Post by stanolszews »

The more I think about it, full serrated seems like the way to go for knives used for most types of cutting. I didn't get it at first, but the more I think about it and the more I get into using and sharpening full serrated knives, I think it's the way to go.
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

I recently purchased a Police with a stainless steel handle and combo edge. It's been a long time since I owned a combo edge, and I'm really enjoying it.

When I make a cut, I use the blade as if it had one consistent edge. I don't think about the fact that it has two edge types. For example, if I am breaking down cardboard, the serrated portion starts the cut, and the plain portion finishes it.

Unless I'm performing a special task that requires it, I don't limit the cut to either one edge or the other. In my opinion, that's an exercise in frustration. I just use it like I would any other knife that I own.

I still prefer a full plain or serrated edge. However, my recent purchase has reminded me that there's something to be said for combo edges.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm one of the few here that actually like using a combo edge on given occasions. The combo edge definitely has it's place and can be quite useful in some Every Day Carry applications.

I've had the Endura, Police and Military models in the past in CE. I still have the Endura in CE but haven't used it in quite a while.

For me the longer blades work better in CE.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:32 pm

Sharpening can be a bit annoying. Not because there are two edge types (PE and SE), but because the PE part has a V grind and the SE part a chisel grind (while on the "full" SE Spydies the PE part towards the tip is also chisel grind)

I reprofile the front PE section to match the angle of the serrations and then just sharpen the whole knife as I would if it was full SE. The only catch is with full SE I usually hold the blade down close to the rods on the back side so I keep that angle as low as possible, and I can't do that with a CE with that bevel in the front so I just sharpen the back side normally by holding the blade at 90 degrees like you would do on the front side. It makes for a thicker edge but it's no thicker than you'd get with a typical PE with a double bevel and the SE section is still way thinner overall.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

When you think about it the combo edge is kind of a specialty type tool in one sense. Because if you work a job where you are constantly dealing with rope, cordage and packages to open on a daily basis then a combo edge is a "MUST".

One short to mid sized blade I had in CE was an older Delica that was a combo edge and it worked really well. I ended up selling it to a fellow worker at the time and I went on to carrying one of my C-44 Dyad models. IF Spyderco ever brings back a full sized, double bladed folder ( One SE & One PE blade folder) like a Dyad 2 or something of that ilk then you won't need a combo edge at all.

But for the most part some select models in the Salt Series along with the Endura, Delica and POLICE models should always have the CE options available on those particular models.
bjz

Post by bjz »

Thanks everyone for your responses...this kind of lands both feet firmly in the full SE camp I was trending towards for my current wants!

Now, the problem is this frn native chief business...I’m going to have to start saving and up my forum screen/post time so that I can get into the swap.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:02 am
Wartstein wrote:

I reprofile the front PE section to match the angle of the serrations and then just sharpen the whole knife as I would if it was full SE. The only catch is with full SE I usually hold the blade down close to the rods on the back side so I keep that angle as low as possible, and I can't do that with a CE with that bevel in the front so I just sharpen the back side normally by holding the blade at 90 degrees like you would do on the front side. It makes for a thicker edge but it's no thicker than you'd get with a typical PE with a double bevel and the SE section is still way thinner overall.
Thanks! :)

But I am not sure I understand.. :o

A bit simplyfied, but lets say
- On a typical comboedge Spydie the PE section is about 15 per side and the SE section about 15 on one side
- This would mean that there would be no (or almost no) reprofiling of the PE section necessary, right? (Since on the side where the scallops of the SE part are and get sharpened both the PE and SE part has about the same angle anyway)

Anyway, I think I´d prefer if Spyderco did their comboedges with a chisel grind both for the SE AND PE part (like they do with the "full" SE models, where the short PE part towards the tip actually is also chisel grind)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:44 pm
Anyway, I think I´d prefer if Spyderco did their comboedges with a chisel grind both for the SE AND PE part (like they do with the "full" SE models, where the short PE part towards the tip actually is also chisel grind)

A 3.5" to 4" blade in this configuration would be interesting.
So it goes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:44 pm
Evil D wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 9:02 am
Wartstein wrote:

Thanks! :)

But I am not sure I understand.. :o

A bit simplyfied, but lets say
- On a typical comboedge Spydie the PE section is about 15 per side and the SE section about 15 on one side
- This would mean that there would be no (or almost no) reprofiling of the PE section necessary, right? (Since on the side where the scallops of the SE part are and get sharpened both the PE and SE part has about the same angle anyway)

Yes. I just make sure the PE section matches the angle of the SE perfectly, which it really should anyway.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
James Y

Post by James Y »

For me, combo edge is not ideal, but it can be okay on a longer blade. I have some combo edge blades I think are great. It I tend to prefer either full PE or full SE.

Jim