Space Corps knife??

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Space Corps knife??

Post by Doc Dan »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 9:01 pm
Ka-Bar already on it...

https://www.knifecenter.com/series/ka-b ... rce-series

Looks like they went with a backlock and tanto on their folder. @doc Dan, they must have heard your thoughts since they don't have a detent-based lock here. :D
And we care about Ka-Bar because...? Spyderco has made NASA knives even though Case had made one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Micro gravity and sharpening swarf do not mix well. I'd say some fixed blade with a very long lasting edge and good toughness is called for. Magnacut & Vanax SC come to mind, but I really don't know how much corrosion resistance is needed. Maybe the Zoomer is already the right choice?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 7:32 am
Micro gravity and sharpening swarf do not mix well. I'd say some fixed blade with a very long lasting edge and good toughness is called for. Magnacut & Vanax SC come to mind, but I really don't know how much corrosion resistance is needed. Maybe the Zoomer is already the right choice?
Good point, having metal shavings floating around is no bueno. Tungsten carbide blade for sharp
No maintenance.
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
araneae

Post by araneae »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:31 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Ka-Bar already on it...

Looks like they went with a backlock and tanto on their folder. @doc Dan, they must have heard your thoughts since they don't have a detent-based lock here. :D
And we care about Ka-Bar because...? Spyderco has made NASA knives even though Case had made one.
I believe I read that Kabar trademarked USSF marked knives even though they don't have a government contract for those knives currently.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Are we talking about designing a knife for astronauts or for the US Space Force? The reason I ask is because the average US Space Force guardian is never going to launch into space. The majority of them work on terra firma operating satellites, analyzing data, or performing support functions.

If we are proposing a knife for the US Space Force, then perhaps a ClipiTool would be appropriate. It could have some standard tools like a knife blade, a screwdriver, a serrated strap cutter, and a bottle opener. Then give it a less common tool to set it apart. Maybe a small bit-driver for working on electronic equipment would be appropriate.

As for cosmetics, the US Space Force colors are dark blue and white. I would definitely steer clear of baby blue. I'm not sure what Ka-Bar was thinking when they picked that color.

I'm in the Air Force, but I'd still buy that. ;)
Danke

Post by Danke »

araneae wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 9:52 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 11:31 pm
nerdlock wrote:
Ka-Bar already on it...

I believe I read that Kabar trademarked USSF marked knives even though they don't have a government contract for those knives currently.
Netflix trademarked the name "Space Force". It's kinda not going well.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

nerdlock wrote:
Ka-Bar already on it...

Maybe they read this old thread.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Kels73 wrote:
Wed May 19, 2021 11:22 pm
Are we talking about designing a knife for astronauts or for the US Space Force? The reason I ask is because the average US Space Force guardian is never going to launch into space. The majority of them work on terra firma operating satellites, analyzing data, or performing support functions.

I would think broadly and not just astronauts. Why leave out everyone? That makes me think LC200N is the right steel as it will be good in any and all environments (except in an MRI machine).

As for the color, you are right about the blue. It should be the official color of blue or white, or both.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Another knife Spyderco makes that could work is the Rockjumper. If that knife had a leaf blade or clip point then it could work nicely. It would perhaps need some non cobalt stainless steel. USSF blue or blue and white scales and we are set.

For a fixed blade I think the Aqua Salt is a good choice. Perhaps LC200N for a steel choice so that it could be had in PE and SE. H1 serrated is good, too. All they would need do in that case is change the handle and sheath colors.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Most of the Guardians will indeed be earthbound for now.
But in the fullness of time,
their mission will inevitably lead them to the stars.

A utility knife, like the ClipiTool previously mentioned,
that could be operated one-handed wearing a glove,
might prove to be as handy as a pocket on a shirt.
But it is unlikely that any extraterrestrials
will need to be skinned or filleted.

However my friends, their is a far more serious matter.
the United Nations has proposed resolutions and treaties
to prevent the militarization of outer space, but they will not stand.

Our moon is tidally locked with the earth.
The same hemisphere of the moon always faces the earth.
That is strategic high ground if there ever was.

There may not be the technology today to take advantage of that
but there will be in the future.
When that day comes, Nations will fight for it.
A combat knife in space may not be that far fetched.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am wondering about a fixed blade with a magnet in the sheath to secure it in zero gravity. If there is a magnet on the knife and a lanyard that would be ideal. LC200N obviously because it was designed for space. The sheath needs a sharpener and a way of securing the metal dust (magnet again but a fluid would work as well but messy). I have a design in mind but I will hold on to that. They have the ability to print stuff in space with a 3d printer so that adds to the fun. They could print different grips and means of securing it.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'm curious. Why is everyone so concerned about corrosion resistence in space? No oxygen or water out there. Or are you worried about cutting up aliens with acid for blood?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jack,

I think it's because LC was used by Nasa. But They used LC to make ball bearings, not edges. However, I have learned that ball bearing steels like 52100 or BG-42 usually make good blade steels because they have to be strong enough to handle the single point contact to which ball bearings are subjected.

sal
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

What would be the name of the series?
0 Gravity?
On a folder, phosphor bronze or bearings?
Knives for your grandkids to take to space, so all materials must be made to last generations.
LC200N is also good because of space food prep!
They will be growing their own space food. Too bad BBQ and space stations are not a good mix. :mad:
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

The Guardian series.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 11:45 pm
The Guardian series.

Probably run into some copyright issues, there's already a Guardian Tactical brand and the Bradford Guardian.

So many cool space names are already used. Spyderco Terran would be cool but Kershaw already did it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

“Zero Gravity” has a nice ring to it if there is a name dispute for “Guardians”
malice

Post by malice »

Just my two cents (and keeping in mind the Case M-1 space machete)

how about a light-blue/GITD handled, LC200N Schempp Rock ?

It's lighter than most knives of that size, rustproof, very multifunctional because of the grip.

+ going back on the scenario for which the Case was invented, in an emergency reentry scenario, if you end up in the tundra, desert or jungle, you'll have more of a chance.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Not to beat a dead horse and then lead him to water, but
the Starmate series?

Capitalize on the early days, the heritage, the tradition,
and Spyderco's first collaboration with an outside knife maker, Bob Terzuola,
the father of the tactical folder, and carry on from there
with inspired, derivative and enhanced folders and fixed blades.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

sal wrote:
Thu May 20, 2021 9:56 pm
Hi Jack,

I think it's because LC was used by Nasa. But They used LC to make ball bearings, not edges. However, I have learned that ball bearing steels like 52100 or BG-42 usually make good blade steels because they have to be strong enough to handle the single point contact to which ball bearings are subjected.

sal
how about a manix 2 salt in lc200n with a lc200n ball as a nod to it's origins?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C