Which FRN knife would you choose

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Pick one: chaparral, rock jumper, endela, stretch, native (frn)

Chaparral
38%
Rock Jumper
16%
Endela
13%
Stretch
16%
Native (FRN)
18%

Total votes: 56

Wartstein

Re: Which FRN knife would you choose

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:22 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 3:40 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:58 pm
What is it that you don´t like in the linerlock? (Honest question, cause whenever I come back to a good Spyderco linerlock I am delighted with how easy, natural and safe it is to use)
They make the knife less comfortable because the scale is cut out on one side.
Thanks!
Right, I've heard people say this before, must be another thing of personal preference.
Funny thing is: For me it's just the opposite: The linerlock cutout actually enhances comfort since to me it feels a bit like an additional chamfering.
It never creates a hotspot, while comp.lock cutouts usually do in harder, prolongued use (also something I"ve heard quite some people say)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Stretch fits my hand the best out of those.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:40 pm

I think the Rock Jumper would challenge that... ;)
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:02 am
vivi wrote:

Thumb ramp placement makes it less comfortable for me. Interested in the big version though.
:unicorn
FourStringFiend

Post by FourStringFiend »

vivi wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 1:31 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 12:02 am
vivi wrote:
Thumb ramp placement makes it less comfortable for me. Interested in the big version though.
I’m waiting for the Leaf jumper/XL versions and hoping the thumb ramp Is less pronounced. Ideally I’d like it to be closer to a back lock Caribbean in profile.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Mushroom wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:31 pm

I think he was referring to the boye dent.

Hahaha! I'm getting slow in my old age. I read that as 'detent' and not 'dent'. I see I confused myself. :D
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:03 pm
Hello all! I looking in to getting a FRN spydi for the purpose for making a nice wooden handle. Im considering either a Chaparral, Rock jumper, Endela (possibly a wave: any thoughts?), stretch or native. These are in the order of which ones i think I'm most likely to get. The native would have been much higher had it had steel liners. Which one of these do you think would be easiest to make a wood handle for? Which is your favorite design. Steel is irrelevant. If you can't decide between two mention in a comment. If you want to recommend a another design mention in a comment.
Vote for the Chap here. All great choices but that little Chap is so cool, just love mine.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Despite voting for an FRN Chaparral, my next purchase is likely to be a Maxamet Native 5. I got it in my head that I need a "super steel" blade. Of all the knives available, the Native best suits my needs.
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

Goddard LW - linerless FRN perfection in my view. While no longer produced they can be had for a reasonable price on eBay
LC Kid

Post by LC Kid »

Hi Folks!

My vote goes for the Chaparral :spyder:

Every single one I've seen dressed in wood is just gorgeous :cool:
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tough question just the Native would be no consideration for me: No liners make it much harder to make a wooden handle and it is way lower in my list than the other four. [Edit: The G10 Native did have liners till some time ago. Perhaps you could still find one, don´t know).

The Seki models all have nested liners, custom scales would be easier to do on full / exposed liners.
So my recommendation would actually be the Tenacious LW /(FRN): Full, exposed liners, so scales would "just" have to be slabs of wood without the need to hollow them out, the knife can be had very affordable in 8CR, or in S35VN - I lately got the latter and it is just great. Perfect fit and finish and the great linerlock showed me again how superior this locktype is in userfriendlyness and safety in hand while operation

Endela wave: Don´t know if you saw my reply in that other thread, but I would not recommend it, unless you explicitly want the narrow sabre grind blade: Extremely (I´d say unnecessarely) sturdy, especially in the tip, but a less good slicer.
The wave feature can get in the way when stabbing/penetrating matter and its function can be had by a simple zip tie mod.
Get the Endela SE and you´ll have one of the best performing cutters I personally ever owned

Stretch: Great model, especially the discontinued Stretch 1, a real classic and still to be found. Would be a great candidate for wood scales imho...
DANG. The stretch 1 i was watching on ebay just sold for 70. I didnt think it would sell for that little.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Paraguy wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:10 pm
Wartstein wrote:

Stretch: Great model, especially the discontinued Stretch 1, a real classic and still to be found. Would be a great candidate for wood scales imho...
DANG. The stretch 1 i was watching on ebay just sold for 70. I didnt think it would sell for that little.

:eek: This would have been a really good price, even if the knife was used... :(

Don´t know why this went for such little money - I guess the Stretch 1 is still underestimated by many, while most who really tried it seem to love the model.
Anyway, as said, it still can be had new (though for twice the 70 USD),and even in HAP 40 for around 190 - the latter being worth every cent and more imho!!

And the Stretch 2 is a great option too of course!
Perhaps even better ergos for larger hands, and a deeper, wider choil for those who like that (which I guess are most, not me though)
It just does not offer that great edge to handle ratio (longer closed package than the "1" but less cutting edge) and not the "hook" on the handle end which I really like on a bit larger folders (and not at all on small ones... ;) )
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:06 am
Glad to see how popular the Chap FRN seems to be! :)

Maybe this brings us closer to my most wished for model, a Chaparral XL... :rolleyes:
Isn't that a sage?
Good point
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bouhunter wrote:
Sun May 02, 2021 6:23 am
Paraguy wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:19 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:06 am
Glad to see how popular the Chap FRN seems to be! :)

Maybe this brings us closer to my most wished for model, a Chaparral XL... :rolleyes:
Isn't that a sage?
Good point
The Sage is really not a Chaparral XL:
See my reply here viewtopic.php?f=2&t=89564#p1518833

Don't get me wrong, the Sage is a great knife too, but not in the ways the Chap is!
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Of the ones you listed, I selected the Chaparral. It fits my hand nicely, and the thin blade makes it a slicing machine.