Cru-/Mi-carta Military: Am I wrong or would it gain a lot of weight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kels73

Re: Cru-/Mi-carta Military: Am I wrong or would it gain a lot of weight?

Post by Kels73 »

If I'm not mistaken, Micarta is a bit lighter than G10. So as long as the Micarta scales are cut to the same dimensions, it won't make it heavier.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kels73 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:49 pm
If I'm not mistaken, Micarta is a bit lighter than G10. So as long as the Micarta scales are cut to the same dimensions, it won't make it heavier.

As laid out in my original post: Weight of handle material is not the issue here, but that a Micarta Millie would have to go from its minimal liners to full, not even nested ones.
THIS would add a lot of weight.

I assume this, because Spyderco changed the liners in the Crucarta PM2 from nested to full in order to guarantee their standards concerning structural strength of the handle..
So most likely they would give a Micarta Millie full (in the sense of not nested) liners over the whole length of the handle too.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:55 pm
Kels73 wrote:

As laid out in my original post: Weight of handle material is not the issue here, but that a Micarta Millie would have to go from its minimal liners to full, not even nested ones.
THIS would add a lot of weight.

I assume this, because Spyderco changed the liners in the Crucarta PM2 from nested to full in order to guarantee their standards concerning structural strength of the handle..
So most likely they would give a Micarta Millie full (in the sense of not nested) liners over the whole length of the handle too.
I question whether they really need to strengthen the steel liners. Micarta is not as strong as G10, but it's still very strong. I wonder if controlled testing led them to change the liners in the PM2, or if they were just excessively cautious. Aftermarket Micarta scales have been popular for several years, and their dimensions are usually close to spec.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Kels73 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Kels73 wrote:
I question whether they really need to strengthen the steel liners. Micarta is not as strong as G10, but it's still very strong. I wonder if controlled testing led them to change the liners in the PM2, or if they were just excessively cautious. Aftermarket Micarta scales have been popular for several years, and their dimensions are usually close to spec.
Yes, in my experience too Micarta is strong enough! It takes little "nicks" easier than G10, but this would be the same with full liners.

But I am sure they thought about it before they gave the PM2 full instead of nested liners - and certainly Spydercos standards are higher than mine.
Perhaps Micarta tends to shrink or expand more in different climates? And this is not much of an issue with just Micarta slabs on full liners, but could be with nested liners?
Don´t know.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Kels73

Post by Kels73 »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:34 pm
Kels73 wrote:
Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:34 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Kels73 wrote:
Yes, in my experience too Micarta is strong enough! It takes little "nicks" easier than G10, but this would be the same with full liners.

But I am sure they thought about it before they gave the PM2 full instead of nested liners - and certainly Spydercos standards are higher than mine.
Perhaps Micarta tends to shrink or expand more in different climates? And this is not much of an issue with just Micarta slabs on full liners, but could be with nested liners?
Don´t know.
Good points, Wartstein. I don't know either, but it makes for good discussion.

I'm inclined to think that Micarta is plenty strong enough. But then again, I don't have to pay for warranty repairs if I'm wrong, lol. ;)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd be ok with full liners. I'd also be ok with a RIL half-and-half Micarta-Titanium knife. Actually, just give me that one please.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.