that sal is a stand up guy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: that sal is a stand up guy

Post by Holland »

Awesome, class act for sure!

Get well soon!
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

So wonderful. Now, your son has bragging rights because of the broken bones and for getting a knife personally from Sal Glesser. Pretty blessed kid, I'd say.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

This is the most inspiring thing I have heard today. Thank you for sharing the story, ladybug.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Folks, now don´t start breaking your arms in order to get a personal Sal knife! :D
He might not do this in any case.... :p ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

This is a good example of how misfortunes can become precious memories ... when an extraordinary person works his magic.

I am impressed but not surprised, getting to know Sal a little through his participation in this forum.

And since one normally surrounds himself with people similar to him, Sal has been able to bring together a group of people as exceptional as himself.

I hope your son recovers soon. Fortunately, in my experience, long bone breaks tend to heal very well and without complications.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

I love stories like these.. little reminders that simple acts of kindness make the world a better place :) Thank you for sharing! Well done Sal & Spyderco, and best wishes to Levi for a speedy recovery!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
archangel

Post by archangel »

Way to go, Sal! And Levi, get well real soon!!

Thanks for sharing this with us, ladybug. :)
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Sigh...made my day, and, more to the point, Levi’s, too, I’m sure.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I hope your son will have a speed and complete recovery spydergirl. I am sure he will treasure that knife. Sal is awesome.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Explorador

Post by Explorador »

This act from Sal leaves a taste of „family“ in my heart. I‘m deeply touched by this.
Thank you Ladybug for sharing this and thank you Sal, for being the way you are.
And for Levi I send strong ray of healing energy!!
James Y

Post by James Y »

ladybug93,

Sending the best wishes to your son for his recovery, and what an awesome get-well gift from Sal!

Jim
z1r

Post by z1r »

This just makes me that much happier that I recently joined the Spyderco Family! Such a wonderful gesture Sal!
Donut

Post by Donut »

That's pretty cool.

At that age, I was good at losing things. I hope he doesn't lose that knife. That would be a tough one to lose!
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
AlexRus

Post by AlexRus »

Sal is really a stand up guy, and I hope Levi will get well soon!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been on the receiving end of Sal’s generosity and I have been fortunate enough to have been able to meet him and talk with him a few times. He is a good dude for sure. I am gonna sound like a full on fanboy but he is smart, conscientious, humble and generous. He is a philosopher at heart and he puts a lot of thought into things.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Sal,

this gesture shows true greatness!

ASF
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I hope Levi gets well soon and the many lessons available from all this are learned.
By sharing this story, it's now become a gift to us all. Who doesn't need a story of generosity.
Thanks to everyone
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

thanks for the well wishes, all. i agree with the sentiment that this place has come to feel like family.

i apologize for not saying anything about how my boy is doing in my post. i was mostly focusing on telling the story and responding to the gesture. anyway, he's doing great. he's got a few more weeks in the cast and then he'll get a brace to wear for a bit. his healing seems to be progressing fine though and he was already turning down tylenol and ibuprofen the second day after his surgery. i know he's dealing with some discomfort, but he's a trooper and i'm not forcing him to take meds if he doesn't need them.

as far as him losing the knife, i'm not too worried about that. when he was 9, i let him start handling the plastic glow in the dark delica so i could reach him proper handling and responsibility. at 10, i gave him his first knife, a victorinox huntsman. when he wanted something with a clip, i let him carry my old rat 2. he even has his own balisong trainer so we can practice flipping together. haha. he's proven himself plenty responsible and has actually been saving to buy himself a salt 2 with his own money. he's really stoked about this gift though. :)

thanks again everyone. oh, and as wartstein mentioned, i don't suggest breaking your arm in hopes of a new knife.

🤣
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx for the kind words.

I've had my share of broken bones (crotch rockets), so I understand.

You're a good dad!

sal
andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

This is absolutely awesome