How did you get interested in Spyderco knive

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: How did you get interested in Spyderco knive

Post by Doc Dan »

Donut wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:45 am
You guys didn't have a swiss army knife when you were young? I must have been 10ish or under 10 when I had a swiss army knife. I grew up in a small town, though.

I was a small time knife guy, I had a plastic handled Buck knife for working, a Chinese made, steel handle Kershaw and a Chinese made, steel handle Buck. I have had a series of crappy knives that I probably lost over the years. Had a plastic scaled Victorinox where the plastic scales fell off.

I saw a movie where one of the bad guys had either a serrated Endura or serrated Police, I said "Bad guys shouldn't be the only ones with a good knife." I started with a tacticool Byrd Hawkbill, then got the Goddard Jr white micarta sprint, then a serrated ZDP Delica. I was pretty happy with the serrated ZDP Delica for a few months.

I must have found the forum at some point after the Delica and it went down hill from there.
Swiss Army knives were rare and all but unheard of when I was a kid. A couple of rich nerd types had them, but most of us had Barlows and Stockmans, or Boy Scout and Cub Scout knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 am
Swiss Army knives were rare and all but unheard of when I was a kid. A couple of rich nerd types had them, but most of us had Barlows and Stockmans, or Boy Scout and Cub Scout knives.
That's interesting. I do know that when you get into the ones with a lot of pieces, they get pretty expensive.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I blame my Granddad and the coal mining industry to start. Around here, practically every guy over 40 that worked in the mines owns at least one (and often several) carbon steel Klein Tools hawkbills. Do any work with one of these guys, and I will guarantee you, that's the knife they'll have on them. While I'm looking for a job as I speak, I reside with my grandparents (they raised me from birth) and do lots of farm work. In addition to various multitools (Leatherman, Gerber, Victorinox, SOG) Schrade USA, Bear and Son) and SAKs, I have several traditional folders (some dating to the 1920s) that I still use, several fixed blades (mostly Mora; carbon steel), and quite a few one-hand openers. But, those I choose first as primary EDC are always Spyderco, with an SAK often in the pocket as well and a fixed blade and multitool on the hip when out working. I don't have much disposable income, so I don't buy as many as most here do.

But, "Why Spyderco" came on three fronts. I had been given Frost one-hand openers as a teenager, but they were so poorly made, I threw all of them away as the locks failed and cut me bad. My granddad had given me one of the several hawkbills he had when he worked underground in the mines from the mid '70s-mid '80s. I was impressed by the cutting power of that knife, but was not impressed by the fact I couldn't open it with one hand, the lock was bad (not from abuse--I have new Kleins purchased from the electrical supply here that are just as bad), and it was heavy and bulky. My great uncle had passed away about the same time, and I inherited a few of his knives. I got basically the dregs. My Granddad's two sisters had let other, more distant members of the family pick through the knives (and I knew my great-uncle had good stuff). Mostly what I got was el-cheapo or damaged. They got practical patterns like Jacks or Stockmen. I got the largest of the fixed blades and folders. But, in that group was three really nice knives, even if the Case and Buck were pretty rough. A Case 6265 Folding Hunter from the late '60s (slightly tipped skinner blade), a '74-80 Buck 110 (belt sander sharpened, resulting in about 20% blade loss), and a Gerber Magnum LST Jr. (like new, I guess the Buckmasters logo made those who passed over it think it was cheap). I also got two knives Great-Grandpa had made himself from saw blades, one from a crosscut saw, one from a circular blade; as well as a gigantic Dexter butcher knife with a 12" blade (which was used to cut entire sides of meat off a hog). The Buck, in 440C, was technically my first "super steel" knife, given most of my stuff was 420HC or 1095. I had to sharpen it, as the edge was in bad shape, but it really holds an edge once you get a good one on it. The Gerber, being really lightweight and thin, but very strong made me really interested in a lightweight handle knife.

Being as I was just 18 at the time, I didn't have a lot of dough. I ended up (this was before I knew of the Byrd line) getting a Ladybug Salt Hawkbill as my first Spyderco. It may have been little, but could outcut the bigger, heavier Klein on all jobs. I visited New Graham Knives for the first time in about 8-9 years not soon after, and got a Byrd Rescue 2, and on a later visit, a UKPK in combo edge (the UKPK has one of my favorite blade profiles).

Here in 2020-2021, however, is when I really started to get nuts with Spyderco. I wanted to see how the Ladybug was in PE, so I purchased a purple base model (though I really shoulda got the K390, but I think that came out some months later) in March, right before COVID became a real issue here. Then, another forum announced a Spyderco challenge to start in the fall. Over that period, I picked up a Dragonfly (at the time, the cheapest full-size model I could afford) and a 1990s Harpy. The Dragonfly became my go-to around the house knife (replacing a USA-made Camillus Medium Sierra)from the early 2000s), and the Harpy, even "a little dull" as it was really magnified the cutting power of the little Ladybug. I joined here about that same time but lurked quite a bit. Not long after, the online seconds sale was announced. I started saving my hobby budget to try to get a Native 5 and a Para 3. On the day the seconds sale dropped, I tried all day. I wanted a PE Native 5, and a camo handle/black DLC Para 3. I did get both knives, albeit, the Para 3 had the black G-10 handle and the black DLC blade; and the Native 5 was a combo edge blade model; and a super-cheap Byrd Robin 2 with stainless handles (apparently, originally done as an OpFocus giveaway that had its engraving polished off). I could never afford either at MSRP; but for about $90-something, I got both. Neither had a real issue. Para 3 no problem, Native 5 crooked milling of spine jimping. While serrations were what sold me on Spyderco, they make some great PE blades as well. The Para 3 is my EDC, while the Native is a good strong work knife that doesn't weigh me down. I also recently bought a used Saver Salt. Livestock often get caught up in things, and having a sheepsfoot blade is paramount to not accidentally injure them. Also, being fully serrated, it's a great cutter.

So, what's next. I've caught Spyderco fever. To replace the too-heavy steel handle Harpy, I'm thinking Tasman Salt. But, the Merlin is exactly a lightweight Harpy. Hopefully, I can find an affordable one. The Byrd Hawkbill may get bought as well. I'm really liking the Pacific Salt too. I'm wanting a more colorful handle PE Native 5, and may try a LW Para 3. And the Manbug Rescue I've been putting off a year. And, a Delica is the next one I really want to try. I also am interested in trying a Spyderco fixed blade. The next Mule Team is about the only one in my budget.

I've tried most of the non-custom brands of knives that produce them in the USA (though, not a Hogue yet and I find all Southern Grind knives ugly as sin); and I also have several knives from defunct American knifemakers such as Queen. From traditional makers, of their "modern" designs are ugly and bulky, and the lightweight knives (from Bear, Case, and newer Gerber) are usually built cheap. I never was a fan of the blade shape of most USA Kershaws (although, I haven't tried a Natrix or Blur yet), and most Benchmades are heavy (which is why I'm kinda interested in a Bugout). The only "modern" design from any of them I like is the ATS-34 Jess Horn Queen called a "Q-Tac Ladies Knife". Spyderco seems to make the best lightweight, strong knife there is.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Donut wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:29 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:26 am
That's interesting. I do know that when you get into the ones with a lot of pieces, they get pretty expensive.
Back in the early to mid sixties the only SAK type knives we saw were the occasional Camillus made all metal US Military issue knife and the ubiquitous Camillus made Cub Scout knives.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Donut

Post by Donut »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 pm
Back in the early to mid sixties the only SAK type knives we saw were the occasional Camillus made all metal US Military issue knife and the ubiquitous Camillus made Cub Scout knives.
I grew up in the 80's. SAK was more common and popular then.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Donut wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:53 am
Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:34 pm
I grew up in the 80's. SAK was more common and popular then.
because...
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Donut

Post by Donut »

lol, yeah. I was a big MacGyver fan growing up.

The new one isn't bad either.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi J-man, Hovannes and Scottiemac,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Lotsa "Genuine" folks visit here (if you are not genuine, are you false?), and very knowledgeable regarding edges.

Great stories, thanx Jared for the thread. BTW, Congrats on going back to school. really good. Persistence is king.

Hey GreeGolf,

Thank your father for his service.

sal
bdcochran

Post by bdcochran »

I was knife dealer at the time of the First Gulf War. I received a hurry order from a USMC unit for Spyderco Enduras. I called the company, explained the situation, and sold the knives at cost. When the Marines described how they were using and abusing the knife (like puncturing 50 gallon drums), I protested that there were better knives suited for their purposes. My objections were sufficiently countered by their explanations that they were happy to wear a knife down to a nub and to buy in quantity. Hmm. Now, I personally own at least 10 Enduras! I carry one every day. Never have broken one.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Back in the early '90's I think I actually got interested in the Sharpmaker after talking to a co-worker about sharpening knives. A different co-worker bought a couple of Endura's which I thought were too big to carry at work, but I still liked the ergos on. Around '93 or '94 I had the opportunity to buy a Sharpmaker and a couple of Delica's at a great price, so I jumped at the chance. In the next few years the collection grew to a Dragonfly, Delica 2's,3's, a Jess Horn LW, and a Q. That was it for a while as I bought other brands for a number of years, but carried the Delica 3 most of the time.

Then after moving to and living in Colorado for a few years I dug out one of the old Gen 1 Delica's with the broken clip, and the Jess Horn with the bent tip and headed over to Spyderco to drop them off and see if they could be repaired. A week later they were good to go.

Since about 2018 I've accumulated probably close to a hundred items sold by Spyderco that you can cut stuff with, wear, or drink from. This isn't counting the factory second knives, the coffee mugs or bandanas I've gifted to friends. Most of them are impressed enough with the knives that they've retired the old EDC's they carried and carry one of the Spyderco's now instead. I've sold off a lot of the other brands I bought and pretty much carry one or more Spyderco's.

I just picked up a zombie green Salt 2/Wharncliffe today. With my current job a Wharncliffe blade will work better than other types, with the bright green FRN it'll be easy to spot if it's left sitting around, and opening and closing it with one hand while holding material in the other makes the job easier. Plus, I can try out LC200N steel.

Passing within 10 miles (16 km) of Spyderco on my way to work every day has made this fun, but it would be even easier if Spyderco had a paycheck direct deposit program. :D
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Another aspect that drew me to Spyderco's great line up of extremely unique and "one of a kind" knife designs are their completely unusual menu of great knife designs that no other knife company would even consider.

Who else for instance would have tried to take the Dodo model to market? Who else has made a premium folding fillet knife?
Who else has taken Hawkbill blades and not to mention their most interesting "Reverse S" models as well? Who else has taken serrations to a completely new level on the current market?

Spyderco simply has knives that you just can't get anywhere else>> not onlly unique but super high quality as well. They have the guts to take certain knife designs to the main market that hardly no other knife company would touch with a 50 foot pole.

And again I don't know of any other knife company that makes sharpening equipment to Spyderco's high standards. Actually there are a lot of companies that imitate stuff like the 204 Sharpmaker and various other great sharpening tools that Spyderco has introduced in the past 20 years. You could exclusively use nothing but Spyderco's knives and sharpening gear and you would be in great shape for the most part. I can't think of any other knife company I could make that statement about.
BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy »

I wanted a relatively affordable, high quality knife. I did a lot of research online and the two brands that kept popping up were Spyderco and Benchmade. I found a Native 5 online for a really reasonable price. I've been carrying it for a while now, and unless I lose it, I will probably carry it for years to come.
BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy »

Jared

Post by Jared »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 6:48 pm
Hi J-man, Hovannes and Scottiemac,

Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here. Lotsa "Genuine" folks visit here (if you are not genuine, are you false?), and very knowledgeable regarding edges.

Great stories, thanx Jared for the thread. BTW, Congrats on going back to school. really good. Persistence is king.

Hey GreeGolf,

Thank your father for his service.

sal
Thank you. I went back to school 4 months after my daughter was born. It was the hardest friggin thing I ever did in my life. With a full time work schedule as an electrician at a factory, all the classes I could manage, and such a young kid I was literally completely exhausted for 3.5 years. But yeah, persistence is king and I made it.

I’ll say this to anyone that’s maybe 25 years old or so and considering going back: Do It Now. Don’t wait until you’re in your mid 30’s like I did!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

cody6268 wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:55 pm
I blame my Granddad and the coal mining industry to start.
Upon arrival from Ireland, my grandfather worked in the mines of Montana.

I wish you nothing but the best. See if you can find other work that is not as dangerous. It really is earning a living. Most construction jobs would be less dangerous. I worked in construction from 15 to 26 and only had very minor problems.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

If you do your knife research, and get in to steels, there is just one game in town. Spyderco.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Jared wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:11 pm

Thank you. I went back to school 4 months after my daughter was born. It was the hardest friggin thing I ever did in my life. With a full time work schedule as an electrician at a factory, all the classes I could manage, and such a young kid I was literally completely exhausted for 3.5 years. But yeah, persistence is king and I made it.

I’ll say this to anyone that’s maybe 25 years old or so and considering going back: Do It Now. Don’t wait until you’re in your mid 30’s like I did!
I'll drop my 2 cents on the subject after welcoming you here and saying I'm in the same boat you were : turning 29 and finally getting to live my dream of becoming a carpenter next september.

Now, the reason I fell into the Spydie hole.

My dad has always had knives in the house, but always traditional designs. Being French, that meant Opinel, Laguiole, Thiers, so on and so forth.
He gifted me a small SAK when I was 7 or 8. Well. Left it in a drawer in my bedroom, so you know how that goes.

I've since always had on or near me a knife, be it as part of a multi-tool or by itself.
He bought me (for real this time) another knife for my 17th or 18th birthday, some sort of linerlock that I unfortunately lost somewhere.

I stuck to Opinels for a few years, mostly numbers 7 and 8 in carbon steel.
Moved out of my folks' home at 20 with their gracious help, and started getting more interested in the how and why of cutting things. Gradually got myself a few more traditional knives : friction folders, slipjoints etc.
Fast forward a couple of years, and the knife shop next to my flat sells me a chef's knife to replace my crappy student years' "slightly sharp elongated object".
My dad gave me a spare small waterstone to keep everything sharp, but that didn't quite cut it.

Back to the shop, I ask for a sharpening stone. The owner pulls out a bright blue plastic box with a spider on it. Says he's been using one for 20+ years.
Strange as it may be, the medium ceramic stone was my gateway Spyderco product. Made for some tough learning too.

When I started looking for a one-hand EDC knife with a better edge retention than my lovely Higonokami, the spider brand popped up everywhere.

The Endura 4 CE was my first try, replaced by the PM2, then the Millie... The Spyder had bitten, the venom was sweet, and the eggs hatched with a burning desire to try more ! :D
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I’ve liked knives since about the age of 4...

My father gave me my first knife, a Victorinox Camper at the age of about 5. Immediately after handing it off to me he warned me that it was sharp and I should be very careful not to cut myself. Of course I sliced my thumb about 30 seconds after that lol. Nothing bad I didn’t even bleed but I knew better than to say anything so I shoved it in my pocket and didn’t say a word about cutting myself.

As the years went on it seamed like I always had some kind a pocket knife or another on me almost always. First was a Gerber Gator ( A Christmas present from my mother), then an assisted Kershaw black out which I actually liked a lot. I bought a few more Kershaw knives as the years went on. For many years that was about all I owned besides a fixed blade Anza my father bought me at the Mormon Lake Archery Tournament in Northern Az (This was when Anza was a one-man show and I think he only paid $35 for that Anza knife.)

I remembered when I was about 15 or 16 my friend (who got me in to Kershaw knives) showed me a knife his father owned and it really impressed me, the knife was the Spyderco Q and it was different than any knife I had ever seen. He said “Spyderco knives are awesome!”

Jumping all the way to my early 40s I was getting kind of bored with the monotony of life so I started thinking to myself: what made me happy when I was younger? So I started looking at getting into knives again. Remembering that odd looking but beautiful Spyderco my friend had shown me so many years ago. I thought that might be a good place to start. So I started checking out reviews on knives to see where Spyderco stood in the knife industry. I soon found out Spyderco is a leader in the industry and indeed this would be a good place to start.

My first Spyderco was a Pacific Salt PE black FRN. Unfortunately it was lost but I own 23 Spyderco knives now. It’s been a fun journey the past few years and I’m very happy to be a member of this forum.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”