Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TSINGA

Re: Best way to sell Spyderco knives

Post by TSINGA »

I'd love to have somewhere other than eBay to sell the Spyderco knives I try out and later sell.
archangel

Post by archangel »

D'oh! :mad:
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:44 am
This also applies for used goods? I mean, one could assume that for example VAT or duties had already been paid once when the initial purchase of a NEW item at a shop was done, or latest upon first import from abroad. A valuable item might be sold ten times. If always across borders, would there be a ten time charge of tax and/or duties? Just as an example.
It applies for used goods.
Years ago I stopped buying things from outside the EU. The taxes on top of the price are too high and you'll end up paying more than buying directly from a reputable dealer inside the EU.
There may be the occasional deal (specially 2nd hand) that may be different, but generally speaking I couldn't find any way to buy from US with good discounts.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I hope this new market place will make things easier for us in EU as well.
Secondary market is very scarce here, there are a few knives I'd like to move and make someone else happy too.
kobold

Post by kobold »

tonijedi wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 10:03 am
archangel wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:44 am
This also applies for used goods? I mean, one could assume that for example VAT or duties had already been paid once when the initial purchase of a NEW item at a shop was done, or latest upon first import from abroad. A valuable item might be sold ten times. If always across borders, would there be a ten time charge of tax and/or duties? Just as an example.
It applies for used goods.
Years ago I stopped buying things from outside the EU. The taxes on top of the price are too high and you'll end up paying more than buying directly from a reputable dealer inside the EU.
There may be the occasional deal (specially 2nd hand) that may be different, but generally speaking I couldn't find any way to buy from US with good discounts.

That is because of the MAP - minimum advertised price - I guess.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
MotoBro

Post by MotoBro »

I’m sure these suggestions have already been made but I don’t want to read through 4 pages of comments so here’s my suggestions based on personal experience.

r/knife_swap on Reddit things sell quicker than Bladeforums and the only acceptable form of payment is PayPal Goods & Services. That adds a 3.5% fee but you’re “protected” from scammers that way. I’ve had nothing but good experiences buying/selling/trading there.

Bladeforums is good but people can be slow to respond and ask you to contact them via email or even want you to text their phone number. I just don’t like doing that personally.

Spyderco Facebook groups... this can be a great way to sell but people often want references from others in the group. So making your first sale might be tough until you establish some “credibility”.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

My experience with forums and for sale sections is rather crap to be honest. I was part of a Mustang club/forum once and it didn't take long before the classifieds took over the entire forum and people only joined to sell stuff. The community aspect of the forum fell apart and I left around '09. I'd hate to see that happen here. I also would love a safe place to sell knives and selling to people I interact with here would make it feel safer, but I just don't have faith in people when it comes to acting civilly when money is involved.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There is a healthy secondary market in the U.K., helped by a high degree of trust between members on the relevant FB pages and main knife forum.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Thanks to vivi and Spyderco for their efforts. Let us hope it happens and remains an asset to all.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kcol

Post by kcol »

If this can be done, I will use it. I hope it works out.
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

I have a good deal of thanks for people who volunteer and take on projects to help larger communities, Thanks vivi. It is good in a way that Spyderco is trying to help get behind the idea of a safe secondary market to buy and sell Spyderco knives.

I will echo other comments, I think money changes good ideas. How it changes is tough to know until it is too late.

I have been open and have always said, "more." As in more availability, more product, more people, more people using knives. More is better.

The one time I will say "NO." No, politics. Money's evil twin is politics.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, Catcherman, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I've liked the simple, PM a member that you feel you can trust, have had positive interactions with. I've sold and bought quite a few knives via PM's and have never had any issue. Yes, I suppose that could backfire...but I think most are here for the same reasons and mean well. Just don't jump the gun on anybody to make a deal with.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Having being a Mod on two knife sites, I can assist Vivi, if required...

Maybe he is more than capable on all his lonesome...his call? :)
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

SSD_777 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 am
Forest Green wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
Over the years my collection has grown, now its time to thin down my collection in order to make room for new knives. In the past I have sold on Ebay, but now Ebay is making it too challenging for my blood, I was hoping for some advice on the best methods of selling Spyderco knives, excluding Ebay.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
What did eBay do to "make it too challenging"?
I didn't want to allow ebay access to my checking account.
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 1:33 pm
I think that Vivi's idea is a good one and should serve. We're working out the details now (legal mumbo jumbo, etc.). I would also like to thank Vivi for his effort in this endeavor.

sal
Being a Spyderco fan boy and Vivi, I look forward to seeing the plan.
timlara

Post by timlara »

Thanks to Vivi for the efforts and I'm interested to see how it plays out. Although I've been lucky to have had almost entirely positive experiences selling via eBay for almost 20 years, the fees there are getting really steep, so unless I'm selling something that's rare/discontinued that will fetch a good margin, it definitely hurts to take the hit just for the convenience of flipping new/recent/readily available models that I didn't bond with. It would be nice to have another option for selling the "short term rental" models that just didn't float my boat for whatever reason without taking a big hit in fees.

That said, I've seen the behavior that Evil describes all too often on other forums, so it's definitely a risk. The trend definitely seems to be that most services that are "free" on the internet tend to attract a lot of people who didn't learn how to get along with others in kindergarten. I think there should definitely be some sort of barrier to entry / vetting process to keep it limited to trusted members of the community and minimize the chaos from "randos".
Tim
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

I hope when it says Spyderco knives only, that includes anything Spyderco. Genuine branded memorabilia could also be included I would think.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mini2white wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:04 pm
I hope when it says Spyderco knives only, that includes anything Spyderco. Genuine branded memorabilia could also be included I would think.
Any Spyderco product is fair game.

Check out my signature fellas :cool:
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Forest Green wrote:
Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:56 pm
SSD_777 wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:41 am
Forest Green wrote:
Sat Mar 20, 2021 5:09 am
Over the years my collection has grown, now its time to thin down my collection in order to make room for new knives. In the past I have sold on Ebay, but now Ebay is making it too challenging for my blood, I was hoping for some advice on the best methods of selling Spyderco knives, excluding Ebay.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.
What did eBay do to "make it too challenging"?
I didn't want to allow ebay access to my checking account.
I sell my 3D printed products on ebay and they don't have access to my checking account. However, they do deposit my funds into my savings account
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Forest Green

Post by Forest Green »

Sharp Guy, when I spoke to ebay they said only a checking account will do. Your advice is good, they may not know the diff. Thank you.