The Endela is fantastic.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
6inline

The Endela is fantastic.

Post by 6inline »

Hi folks,

Received an Endela in the mail today and immediately put it to work. Carved some wooden mail box parts (eucalypt), slashed away a metric tonne of brambles from a walking path near home, and removed a thorn from my knuckle, compliments of said brambles. I love it! It's the standard black FRN/VG-10 model and it has exceeded all my expectations. Thank you.

In saying all that. I'd love some orange scales *wink-wink, nudge-nudge.*

Cheers from Tasmania,
Kendal.
steelcity16

Re: The Endela is fantastic.

Post by steelcity16 »

Great choice! I have or have had most of the flagship Spyderco models and the Endela is my favorite! You should give the K390 version a try! I am hoping to see more versions of the Endela as well.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Welcome to the forum! :)

Yes, the Endela IS fantastic indeed and I hope people won´t overlook that:
- PM2-ish length dimensions (handle, edge...) but a lot slimmer in carry (and thinner blade stock, which is great imho)
- Sturdy, linered construction, but still just a hair "heavier" than a Manix 2 LW
- "Roomy", generous handle, even for big paws, and a tad more neutral and handfilling than the Endura
- Can be had in the for me perfect SE pattern.
- Very good price for what it offers and for a real, no nonsense workhorse
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I still have not gotten one. I still want one. It is on the list of must haves, though.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Hey Kendal, I am glad you like the Endela. It is indeed an awesome working folder. My favorite so far is the serrated one in VG10 but I also purchased the K390 one in plain edge and man, it’s a beast. I knew what K390 is up to because I did use my beloved K390 Urban for different cutting chores and I was impressed, to say at least. Enjoy yours !
Last edited by elena86 on Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:46 am
Hey Kendal, I am glad you like the Endela. It is indeed an awesome working folder. My favorite so far is the serrated one in VG19 but I also purchased the K390 one in plain edge and man, it’s a beast. I knew what K390 is up to because I did use my beloved K390 Urban for different cutting chores and I was impressed, to say at least. Enjoy yours !

You have one in VG19?! Man, it must be amazing since mine in just VG10 is great already.. ;)

Kidding aside: The Endela SE is the knife that finally won me over to SE and preferring it over PE in almost any task.
Imho a perfect option if one wants to try out what SE is all about!!
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The Rock Jumper is fantasticer :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
toocool006

Post by toocool006 »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:56 am
The Rock Jumper is fantasticer :D
We just need the k390 version and I'm right there with you!
~andrew
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kendal,

Welcome to our forum.

Glad you are enjoying your new knife.

sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Endela certainly is a great knife! Pretty much kicked my PM2's out of my pocket (unless I feel like playing around with some Maxamet) I think I'll throw the K390 Endela in my pocket tomorrow :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:00 pm
The Endela certainly is a great knife! Pretty much kicked my PM2's out of my pocket (unless I feel like playing around with some Maxamet) I think I'll throw the K390 Endela in my pocket tomorrow :)

This really means something for the Endela coming from a Manix guy and real knife-user. :)

Glad you like it, but then: As said, you do really use your folders and I think everyone who does so and knows about folders will come to the conclusion that the Endela is just a real, great workhorse, even if it does not become the most favorite knife of that person.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:37 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:00 pm

This really means something for the Endela coming from a Manix guy and real knife-user. :)

Glad you like it, but then: As said, you do really use your folders and I think everyone who does so and knows about folders will come to the conclusion that the Endela is just a real, great workhorse, even if it does not become the most favorite knife of that person.
Absolutely! I don't think the Endela would ever become my hands down favorite knife, but it will certainly rank towards the top of the list for years to come.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
6inline

Post by 6inline »

Hi Everybody,

Thank you all so much for the welcome, feedback & enthusiasm. If it weren't for nearly 3k in vet bills next week, I'd have picked up the K390 model, but my wife and I just adore this little dog :)

In the "What did you use your Spyderco for last?" thread, I wrote of some nasty weeds along our local walking paths. The Dragonfly2 is great, but outgunned. An interest in blades, carving walking-sticks from felled branches along those same paths, and those d*mn weeds was the reasoning for a simpler workhorse over the spiffier lock/handle types. The pooch is the reason for VG-10.

Now if you'll all excuse me, I've got to grab my hat and do some sexy (*ahem*) dancing on the street corner. If nothing else I'll be paid to go away. Such is life ;)
Gtscotty

Post by Gtscotty »

I've been getting back in the knife hobby recently after a few years of focus on other things. The Delica was always kind of an apex design for me in terms of ergos, carry-ability and utility, so I was excited to hear that Spyderco had put out a model a little larger than the Delica, but smaller than the Endura (which is too big for everyday use/carry for me).

I'll pick up one at some point, but I'm kind of waiting for a run in a higher grade SS. VG-10 is ok, but I have a lot of knives weighing down my drawers already, so I really try to keep my purchases to my more preferred steels like S30V, S35VN, S110V, or maybe CPM-154.

I realize there is a K390 version, but I'm hesitant, from what I've read K390 is one of the least corrosion resistant of the popular tool steels being sold in knives these days. I just moved back to the South, so humidity and sweat will be a constant for any knife in my pocket, and the extra maintenance to prevent sneaky corrosion in the pivot area and under the frame/liners seems like an unnecessary hassle given all the great stainless steel options out there these days..... Just not currently in the Endela. I'd really like to try an Endela in M390 or one of it's clone steels, preferably not in Zome pattern or a forced package deal from BB. S30V would be excellent too, it looks like the Delica variation currently available in that steel is hot pink, but I'd be all over a blue or green or other less ugg color in the steel.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I always liked Delica's, but felt the Endura was too big for what I need every day. I bought a K390 Endela and find it's one of my most carried knives. I like the way the steel sharpens and size wise, it's the Goldielocks of the three for me.
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

The Endela K390 is great and will probably kick the Endura K390 out of my pocket to make room for the Native Chief Rex45.
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Gtscotty wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 5:13 am
I've been getting back in the knife hobby recently after a few years of focus on other things. The Delica was always kind of an apex design for me in terms of ergos, carry-ability and utility, so I was excited to hear that Spyderco had put out a model a little larger than the Delica, but smaller than the Endura (which is too big for everyday use/carry for me).

I'll pick up one at some point, but I'm kind of waiting for a run in a higher grade SS. VG-10 is ok, but I have a lot of knives weighing down my drawers already, so I really try to keep my purchases to my more preferred steels like S30V, S35VN, S110V, or maybe CPM-154.

I realize there is a K390 version, but I'm hesitant, from what I've read K390 is one of the least corrosion resistant of the popular tool steels being sold in knives these days. I just moved back to the South, so humidity and sweat will be a constant for any knife in my pocket, and the extra maintenance to prevent sneaky corrosion in the pivot area and under the frame/liners seems like an unnecessary hassle given all the great stainless steel options out there these days..... Just not currently in the Endela. I'd really like to try an Endela in M390 or one of it's clone steels, preferably not in Zome pattern or a forced package deal from BB. S30V would be excellent too, it looks like the Delica variation currently available in that steel is hot pink, but I'd be all over a blue or green or other less ugg color in the steel.

Just watch this video. It lasts 5 minutes but you will get all answers that you are looking for as regards corrosion.

https://youtu.be/UGfPTbwxwUI
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

Mine arrived yesterday. PE. Simply perfect fit and finish from any angle.

I had a secret hope that out of the box it would be very sharp but not razor sharp (to have an excuse to offer it a KME session and put a polished edge on it). But sacrebleu! I can shave with it. Now I will have to find thirty square feet of cardboard to finish off the factory edge and have no option but to sharpen it ...

If I had to put a but, I would say that it is a little "paunchy". Being used to much slimmer blades (like those of the Endura or the Police), I find the Endela blade a little bit chubby for my taste. Apart from that, it is a gem.
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
Zive

Post by Zive »

Michael Christy’s sharpening video for this model caught my attention. This thread (combined with a St. Patrick’s promo) made me cave. Excited to try out the slightly taller blade. Should arrive this weekend.
Last edited by Zive on Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andrewu750

Post by andrewu750 »

I absolutely love the endela. I picked up the endela in k390 and it hasn’t left my pocket since Valentine’s Day when I got it