Just lost my grail M390 PM2.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Duncanpolis

Re: Just lost my grail M390 PM2.

Post by Duncanpolis »

SpyderGrill wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:16 pm
Check under your car seat real good and along the side. I lost a little Buck knife and couldnt find it. A week or so later it fell into the back seat where my son sits. He is proud he found it for me when it finally fell out.
I checked my colleagues car its nowhere to be found he either took it forhimself (he knows its expensive)or it really isnt there.I wonder how i lost it in the 30 min ride home in the metro, i still cant explain to myself how i lost it but its probably that it fell of my pocket while i was sitting but is that even possible?
Duncanpolis

Post by Duncanpolis »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:39 pm
Duncanpolis wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:52 pm
So i just lost my grail knife somehow, had it for a week ....
Man, that that sure hurts, sorry for your loss! Just a week ago your first posts were about asking about that exact knife cause you planned on buying it, right?

I know how you feel:

- Lost my at the time only Stretch 1 some years, which was discontinued already back then and really hard to find. I never, ever had bought backups for knives till then, but after finally finding another Stretch 1 this became the only model I now DO have backups for (just cause it is not in regular production any more): For the story about loosing it and backups in general see THIS thread viewtopic.php?t=83983 I started some time ago,

- And I lost my beloved blue Endura on a mountain hike, shared the story already in another thread about lost knives (viewtopic.php?t=85427) and may copy and paste it to here:

"I lost two Spydercos till now, and the first one also was an Endura (VG10, blue handle). Really loved this knife, it was my most carried by far at the time.
Lost it on a mountain hike, must have fallen out of my pocket somehow. When I realized it was gone I turned around and went searching for it, with a headlamp, for it was dark already. I made almost 6000 feet (1800 Meter) of vertical distance on this mountain, just while looking for the knife, but it was gone for good... :(

Since then I make sure that the pocket clips on my Spydies are rather tight, by bending them down a bit more."
Do you think the knife can just fall down from my pocket while sitting down?
Thats the only way it could have happend but i cant imagine the knife just falling out while its fully in the pocket, its never happend before.
Its either that or somebody robbed me and i didnt feel it.
Duncanpolis

Post by Duncanpolis »

aicolainen wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:08 am
Sorry for your loss.
It's strange how that happens, you have that one new and precious item that you watch with your life, and that's the one that actually manages to disappear. I know the feeling.
I've been lucky with knives though, mostly affordable Mora knives that has taken the hit. The only knife related loss that bothers me somewhat is my OG Leatherman SuperTool that took a backseat position when I got a LM Wave a few years later. As it went out of regular rotation I just lost track of it after a while. The SuperTool is an important sentimental piece, I got it for christmas in 1996 and it was my first EDC knife (even though I only learned the term 20 years later, in 2016). I carried it everyday through highschool and college, and the first months of my military service until I got a Wave as birthday present.

Still, it's only a knife. Just get up in the saddle again, cowboy. Get a regular PM2 (or any version readily available) and start enjoying the design. The steel is less important than we make it out to be. And having a similar knife, whatever steel, will take some of the urgency off replacing your loss, and you can take your time to find a new one, or even see if the one you lost finds its way back somehow.

Personally, I usually shy away from sprints and other artificially limited versions exactly because of this. I'm a user, not a collector (although, I sometimes wonder..) and however much I try to ignore it, the fact that I'm using a rare item as a tool is a distraction I don't need. I'm less worried about the price, but even that becomes a distraction if it's too unreasonable.
I will make some exceptions and get sprints if I want to try I new model / design that I'm very hesitant about, and can get hold of it fairly effortlessly, as they are usually easy to flip without taking a loss.
Thats a good point thats the thing i was trying not to do and use my supersteel.
I was even planning on buying a regular pm2 and using it for work and outside and have my grail at home only.
But then it comes to the point why should it stay home when at work i will use it and even enjoy using it instead of my kershaw cryo.
normal

Post by normal »

Sorry for your loss. I lost my first really good knife. When I went into the Army in 1990 the only folders that were really common were belt sheathed Bucks and Gerbers with not so great steels and 2 hand opening. In 1991 after I got back from Iraq I found a place that had Spyderco Enduras and Rescues and I got one of each and carried mainly the Endura for years. They were amazing. In about 2004 I lost it in Yosemite National Park. I still mourn it's loss. I do still have the Rescue though.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Sorry for your loss, friend.

The first time I lost a knife, a camp counselor chucked my Swiss army knife off a bridge in the high Sierra - whoops.

The first Spyderco I lost was my first Dragonfly - it slipped from my pocket, somehow - maybe caught by a seatbelt? My first Stretch was lost on a backpacking trip. My Matriarch 2 was lost when a car got totaled, and I foolishly forgot it was in the glovebox. My First PM2, I'm convinced I lost in the bench seat of an Illegal Pete's in downtown Denver, after a few too many IPAs and a burrito which had far too many potatoes. Most recently, I left my Para 3 LW in a backpack for two months before finding it again, thankfully.

Knives come and go, but it hurts more when they go. I hope another comes soon.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

derp wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:57 pm
My wife forgot to pack her Tenacious on a flight home once. She didn't realize it was in her purse until it was almost our turn to go through security. Fortunately, there was a trash can and that seemed like the best/easiest option.
Oh man, that's the worst. I was headed out of town for business and forgot I had a knife in my briefcase. Went through security with it... the flash of fear when they pull a knife out of your luggage. For half a second my mind went - "am I going to jail?" Turned out it wasn't a big deal they just told me I had to hand it off to someone or trash it.
kennethsime wrote: The first time I lost a knife, a camp counselor chucked my Swiss army knife off a bridge in the high Sierra - whoops.
Was this an accident, or they purposefully chucked it? Why? I must know.
JakeXman

Post by JakeXman »

I’ve never lost a Spyderco, but I rebuilt our clothes dryer with my leatherman inside. Not necessarily lost, but too much of a hassle to go get at the moment :o
Tenacious G10 PE, Tasman Salt 2 PE, Tasman Salt 2 SE, Yojimbo 2, KJ Endura 4 D.P.S. 15 VG-10, LadyBug K390, TKJ Jester 20CV, UKPK Salt, Crucarta PM2, 204 Sharpmaker
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

OP, I’m sorry for your loss :(

I lost a Benchmade 525 for a solid year at work. I was convinced I’d dropped in on the gravel lot while doing maintenance on a drill rig, and that someone else had found it. I had suspicions... I replaced the knife with a duplicate and went about life. Well one day I scored a second office chair that matched my current one. While kneeling and looking under both to get the second one set up like my original, what did I see before me? My original 525, perched there on the part of the seat structure that holds the back to the base; covered in a year’s accumulation of dust. Sold the replacement and happily carried the original for years until...

...hey what’s THAT?!? Why, that’s a Spyderco Para 3 in CPM M4!
Colorodo

Post by Colorodo »

I have caught my knife on the seat belt many times and thought I lost it. That feeling when it is not in your pocket. I have thought of getting a pouch for my belt.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Rp5 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:46 pm
kennethsime wrote: The first time I lost a knife, a camp counselor chucked my Swiss army knife off a bridge in the high Sierra - whoops.
We weren't supposed to have knives at camp, but I had hidden mine. We were coming back from a backpacking trip, and the counselor chucked it before we got back to camp.

Turns out, that wasn't the whole story though. His (slightly older) twin brother was also a counselor at camp, heard about the incident and made him go back and get it later that summer. He waded around between boulders for three hours looking for it, supposedly. The next year, the knife was returned to me, although one of the scales was a little loose.

I did lose the knife again some years later, although I'm not sure how. I tell the first story because it's better than "I dunno."
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Mar 17, 2021 7:44 pm
Rp5 wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:46 pm
We weren't supposed to have knives at camp, but I had hidden mine. We were coming back from a backpacking trip, and the counselor chucked it before we got back to camp.

Turns out, that wasn't the whole story though. His (slightly older) twin brother was also a counselor at camp, heard about the incident and made him go back and get it later that summer. He waded around between boulders for three hours looking for it, supposedly. The next year, the knife was returned to me, although one of the scales was a little loose.

I did lose the knife again some years later, although I'm not sure how. I tell the first story because it's better than "I dunno."
Crazy. Thanks for the reply!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

No knives at camp? What is the world coming to?!?
dman62

Post by dman62 »

That really sucks man. My red M390 is my favorite as well. I'm lucky to live somewhere that I can clip the knife to my pocket and not worry about the police hassling me.
mrdavidkolds

Post by mrdavidkolds »

I had a Spyderco Kopa stolen out of my luggage luggage at the Denver Airport and unbelievably when I filed a claim they paid for it.
Duncanpolis

Post by Duncanpolis »

dman62 wrote:
Thu Mar 18, 2021 5:56 pm
That really sucks man. My red M390 is my favorite as well. I'm lucky to live somewhere that I can clip the knife to my pocket and not worry about the police hassling me.
But atleast I can pay my police to keep quiet
Always look for the good in the bad :D