The Phoenix has landed on eBay....

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Sildani

Re: The Phoenix has landed on eBay....

Post by Sildani »

And snagged! Thanks so much Buddafuoco!
PeanutButterFan

Post by PeanutButterFan »

Looks like indiana knives has more in stock if anyone is still looking
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

No disrespect but the Viele Phoenix Sprint is easily one of the worst Sprint Runs in recent memory. A street price of $315 for VG-10 & G-10 begs credulity! No wonder they’re still widely available!
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:36 am
No disrespect but the Viele Phoenix Sprint is easily one of the worst Sprint Runs in recent memory. A street price of $315 for VG-10 & G-10 begs credulity! No wonder they’re still widely available!
That's not quite fair; there's a lot more to it than VG-10 and G10.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Meat man wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:20 am
RamZar wrote:

What’s “a lot more to it than VG-10 and G10” that could possibly justify the outlandish $315 street price?! It has been in the marketplace for 4 weeks and still readily available. Can’t imagine a large quantity being manufactured.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

RamZar wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:33 am
The Meat man wrote:
RamZar wrote:

What’s “a lot more to it than VG-10 and G10” that could possibly justify the outlandish $315 street price?! It has been in the marketplace for 4 weeks and still readily available. Can’t imagine a large quantity being manufactured.
Because if we simply just deduce things to the value of their materials, we can make it seem like we overpay for anything.

Just because you've assigned a personal value to certain materials does not mean that VG10 and G10 are any less difficult and time consuming to work with.

There are obviously many other factors involved that determine the price than just the materials used. Also, it's a sprint run, so they already made a certain amount and thats it. They're not judging the number of sales then determining how many more to make.

Personally, Im glad to see this one available for longer than 5 minutes after the drop. I like to think it's a sign of the times and that the flippers are starting to move on to other things. Although for that, only time will tell.
-Nick :bug-red
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

RamZar wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Full titanium liners, lots of machining, etc.

If you look at knives primarily in terms of blade and handle material (like me) obviously this knife isn't for you. But nobody would deny that there's more to a knife than raw materials.

I wouldn't call it the worst ever Sprint Run just because it doesn't appeal to me or my value judgments.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 11:10 am
RamZar wrote:
The Meat man wrote:
RamZar wrote:

Because if we simply just deduce things to the value of their materials, we can make it seem like we overpay for anything.

Just because you've assigned a personal value to certain materials does not mean that VG10 and G10 are any less difficult and time consuming to work with.

There are obviously many other factors involved that determine the price than just the materials used. Also, it's a sprint run, so they already made a certain amount and thats it. They're not judging the number of sales then determining how many more to make.

Personally, Im glad to see this one available for longer than 5 minutes after the drop. I like to think it's a sign of the times and that the flippers are starting to move on to other things. Although for that, only time will tell.
Flippers are smarter than that. They saw no profit opportunity from this Sprint with a very narrow niche. I’m not a fan of flippers who continuously drive people away from popular and affordable Sprints/Exclusives.

This is just like the last batch of Spyderco production folders made in Japan with VG-10 and G-10 which did not sell and were ultimately discontinued. Spyderco makes S30V/G-10 much cheaper and at a higher quality at Golden.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The Viele Phoenix Sprint Run which showed up at dealers around March 4, 2021 is still available at over 10 dealers (I stopped looking further). At $315 for VG-10 & G-10 it’s easily one of the slowest selling Sprint Runs in memory. Begs to wonder why it was even commissioned in the first place!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Cutlery Shoppe has the Viele Phoenix Sprint at a big discount. Normally, these are $315 but CS is closing them out at just $250!

https://cutleryshoppe.com/spyderco-c114 ... they-last/
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

While I realize this may not be a popular opinion and I may get lambasted, still this thing to me is like a 1949 Buick, big, heavy, clunky yet well made. So for me....zzzzzz.