Sci-fi series

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Oloung1

Re: Sci-fi series

Post by Oloung1 »

JuPaul wrote:
Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:34 pm
I really enjoyed MARS. Are they making another season?
Me too, sadly, no 3 according to Jihae https://www.instagram.com/p/BymC5cRgO6A/
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

There are lots of suggestions for TV shows, but may I suggest some Sci Fi novels? (even though nobody asked)

Dune is a good place to start, has huge world building themes with action, weird science, and bits of philosophy throughout.

The Hyperion Cantos is much easier to read. Written by Dan Simmons, who also does horror. Has a fun story telling adventure similar to Canterbury Tales, but with heavy science fiction.

Ender's Game is a classic as well; the movie wasn't quite as enjoyable.

Doctor Who doesn't have cheesy, campy episodes; just episodes that aren't worth ever watching twice ;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Bdubs808 wrote: ...
Doctor Who doesn't have cheesy, campy episodes; just episodes that aren't worth ever watching twice ;)
Yeah... Thats the thing. The handful of Doctor Who episodes that are good are amazing top notch sci fi, but the rest are difficult to watch.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bdubs808 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:58 pm
There are lots of suggestions for TV shows, but may I suggest some Sci Fi novels? (even though nobody asked)

Dune is a good place to start, has huge world building themes with action, weird science, and bits of philosophy throughout.

The Hyperion Cantos is much easier to read. Written by Dan Simmons, who also does horror. Has a fun story telling adventure similar to Canterbury Tales, but with heavy science fiction.

Yes please! I love novels even better than movies. I've read the Dune trilogy several times over. I have a Frank Herbert anthology in my phone!

I also have Ender's Game in my phone together with the 10 other novels in the series.

I think I've read one of the Hyperion Cantos but I couldn't find anything else.

I've also read the Foundation Series and Asimov is one of my favorite authors.

I also loved Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series.

And yes, Larry Niven's Ringworld and Smoke Ring series too.

I love the Dr. Who novels. The series, not so much. :D

At the moment, I'm reading two novels, Frank Herbert's the Godmakers and Ernest Cline's Ready Player One.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Bdubs808 wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion!
Last edited by chuck_roxas45 on Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Not TV series, but...

I’ve also read the Hyperion/Endymion novels a long time ago (maybe 20 years or so). Good stuff, and I don’t normally read sci-fi novels. I read them because I liked the first Dan Simmons novel I read, Carrion Comfort, which is horror. Summer of Night, and The Terror are a couple more good Dan Simmons novels (also horror).

As for sci-fi series, I don’t really watch many TV series at all. I used to like The X-Files, but not the ones about alien conspiracies. I liked the one-off “monster of the week” episodes a lot more, especially the first few seasons. The episode about the manitou, the one about the old witch at the high school, the one about the cosmetic surgeon/warlock, and the one about the Peacock Brothers are my favorites.

I also really liked the ‘90s series Millennium, which starred Lance Henriksen. I’m not sure which genre Millennium falls under. It was crime/suspense, sci-fi-horror. It actually ended with a crossover episode with The X-Files.

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

I just started watching Stargate this week.

I enjoyed the movie but I've never been someone to watch TV, so I missed out on the show.

It's pretty cool seeing them go to different worlds. Reminds me a lot of Star Trek TNG.
:unicorn
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

My recommendations are mostly going to be novels and a couple shows.

I strongly second the Hyperion novels. Good worldbuilding, though the second volume was weaker imo.

Dune is a must read in contemporary sci-fi. All 6 volumes are worth your time, and at least Paul of Dune (by his son based on drafts) between the 1st and 2d volumes. By far my favourite sci-fi saga across all media.

The Kovacs trilogy by Bachman, Tau Zero by Poul Anderson, the Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, the World of Null-A by A.E. Van Vogt are some great works too.

I've started Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem, which is more of the realm of hard sci-fi. Still a page-turner. Get the Ken Liu translation, by far the best.
Lindsay Ellis' Axiom's End is a fun read so far too.

As far as shows go, Cowboy Bebop is a fantastic anime.
Both the original Ghost is the shell movie and series are worth viewing.
Psycho Pass and Stein's gate are two more anime series I'd wholeheartedly recommend.

For regular animation and live action, Love, Death and Robots; Sense8, Altered Carbon' 1st season, Black Mirror, Final Space (comedy sci-fi)... There's a lot of good on offer from streaming platforms.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

ThomC wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 5:47 am
My recommendations are mostly going to be novels and a couple shows.

I strongly second the Hyperion novels. Good worldbuilding, though the second volume was weaker imo.

Dune is a must read in contemporary sci-fi. All 6 volumes are worth your time, and at least Paul of Dune (by his son based on drafts) between the 1st and 2d volumes. By far my favourite sci-fi saga across all media.

The Kovacs trilogy by Bachman, Tau Zero by Poul Anderson, the Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut, the World of Null-A by A.E. Van Vogt are some great works too.

I've started Cixin Liu's Three Body Problem, which is more of the realm of hard sci-fi. Still a page-turner. Get the Ken Liu translation, by far the best.
Lindsay Ellis' Axiom's End is a fun read so far too.

As far as shows go, Cowboy Bebop is a fantastic anime.
Both the original Ghost is the shell movie and series are worth viewing.
Psycho Pass and Stein's gate are two more anime series I'd wholeheartedly recommend.

For regular animation and live action, Love, Death and Robots; Sense8, Altered Carbon' 1st season, Black Mirror, Final Space (comedy sci-fi)... There's a lot of good on offer from streaming platforms.
Thanks! Poul Anderson and A.E. Van Gogt are also favourites of mine.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

chuck_roxas45 wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:03 pm
Bdubs808 wrote:

Yes please! I love novels even better than movies. I've read the Dune trilogy several times over. I have a Frank Herbert anthology in my phone!

I also have Ender's Game in my phone together with the 10 other novels in the series.

I think I've read one of the Hyperion Cantos but I couldn't find anything else.

I've also read the Foundation Series and Asimov is one of my favorite authors.

I also loved Arthur C. Clarke's Rama series.

And yes, Larry Niven's Ringworld and Smoke Ring series too.

I love the Dr. Who novels. The series, not so much. :D

At the moment, I'm reading two novels, Frank Herbert's the Godmakers and Ernest Cline's Ready Player One.
Excellent books on that list! I'm a huge sci-fi geek, and I've got Kindle Unlimited just for the huge catalog of free (and quality) sci-fi included with that subscription.

My all-time favorite sci-fi novels: Stranger in a Strange Land and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (both by Robert Heinlein), The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. Leguin), and Children of God (Mary Doria Russel).
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 am
My all-time favorite sci-fi novels: Stranger in a Strange Land and The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (both by Robert Heinlein), The Left Hand of Darkness (Ursula K. Leguin), and Children of God (Mary Doria Russel).
Have you read the Pursuit of the Pankera? It was recently released based on his notes and drafts. It parallels The Number of the Beast (exactly) and then splits into a totally different book at the point they start traveling.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Haven't seen anybody mention Killjoys. Do yourself a favour and check it out.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Thanks! I'll be checking those out. I am admittedly a big sci fi geek.
remnar

Post by remnar »

Stargate SG1 is now on Netflix. Ten seasons should keep you entertained for a while.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:16 am
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 10:43 am
Have you read the Pursuit of the Pankera? It was recently released based on his notes and drafts. It parallels The Number of the Beast (exactly) and then splits into a totally different book at the point they start traveling.
I haven't, but I will now!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Edgar Rice Burroughs was writing about other planets and world building before any of those mentioned so far. Great action adventure sci-fi stuff. I have greatly appreciated HG Wells and he is still worth reading. C.S. Lewis wrote Out of A Silent Planet, which I enjoyed. I have read as much Heinlein as I could get my hand on, as well as Andre Norton and Lequin. C.J. Cherryh is always worth reading. Of course, Dune was fantastic.

One of my problems with modern Sci-Fi is that they do not dream. It seems the weirder the better, nowadays. But Sci-fi used to be prophetic and exciting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:38 am
Edgar Rice Burroughs was writing about other planets and world building before any of those mentioned so far. Great action adventure sci-fi stuff. I have greatly appreciated HG Wells and he is still worth reading. C.S. Lewis wrote Out of A Silent Planet, which I enjoyed. I have read as much Heinlein as I could get my hand on, as well as Andre Norton and Lequin. C.J. Cherryh is always worth reading. Of course, Dune was fantastic.

One of my problems with modern Sci-Fi is that they do not dream. It seems the weirder the better, nowadays. But Sci-fi used to be prophetic and exciting.
Agreed Doc Dan. The older stuff seems more hopeful. A lot of stuff these days are very depressing.

I grew up with Edgar Rice Burroughs, Jules Verne, Heinlein, Asimov, Del Ray and these guys stories' are like old friends to me.
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

remnar wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 9:29 pm
Stargate SG1 is now on Netflix. Ten seasons should keep you entertained for a while.
Somehow, I really wondered why they didn't use a long gun to take out the aliens. A good sniper would have made a big dent.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although not specifically science fiction, my favorite of the old-time writers is Algernon Blackwood. His stories may be better known for their supernatural elements, but he was a writer way ahead of his time. He had stories that dealt with reincarnation, alternate dimensions, etc. He was also a big influence on H.P. Lovecraft, although I personally prefer Blackwood’s stories, old-fashioned wording and all.

Jim
chuck_roxas45

Post by chuck_roxas45 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:54 pm
Although not specifically science fiction, my favorite of the old-time writers is Algernon Blackwood. His stories may be better known for their supernatural elements, but he was a writer way ahead of his time. He had stories that dealt with reincarnation, alternate dimensions, etc. He was also a big influence on H.P. Lovecraft, although I personally prefer Blackwood’s stories, old-fashioned wording and all.

Jim
Gotta check those out. Thanks