Why did you join?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MatZio

Re: Why did you join?

Post by MatZio »

I love knives. I have enter in the world of knives through another brand. After a few years, my taste for knives changed. From zombie apocalypse knives to EDC knives.

After I bought the Spyderco Delica and used it for a few months, I put that knife into my EDC rotation.

I realized you have to use Spyderco knives to see the quality of those knives. I only have four knives from Spyderco, but I see that their quality can be compared to some more expensive brands.

I like to visit this forum because it is free, members discuss well and one of the greats of the knife industry directly participates in discussions. Owner of Spyderco.

I love Spyderco knives because they are lightweight, good steel, good handle materials, good ergonomics, and are unique because of their appearance.

When people see a Spyderco knife, they think it’s not a knife, but a scalpel. I like that.

I love this forum because you are normal and cool people.
It's an honor to be a member of this forum.

Dinamo Zagreb. Leaving or dead, always ahead...
Matija
sal

Post by sal »

Hi TheBard,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Eric*the*Red

Post by Eric*the*Red »

I have had an appreciation for knives my whole life. My father gave me my first knife when I was 8 years old. A case peanut.
I really became interested in collecting knives 10 years ago. At work, we are issued a gerber multi tool. It is a necessity to have something that can cut things where I work. From cable ties to hoses. The sheath for my gerber fell apart. I have a lot of equipment I need to carry as I do my equipment rounds. I wanted to travel through the plant and keep my equipment carried as light as possible. I started carrying a kershaw leek. I appreciated the leek for being lightweight, but the blade quality was lacking. The blade chipped easily. It seemed like a cheap box cutter.
I researched knives and decided to purchase a ZT 0350. A step up from kershaw. The big belly of the 0350 wasn’t a good fit for cutting cable ties and the knife was quite heavy. I then decided to try a benchmade 300 axis flipper. I loved the look of the knife, but the handle was very thick (0.58”). The handle thickness made it uncomfortable to carry.
Friends from work recommended spyderco. I didn’t like the look of the spydie hole but eventually I decided to try one. I bought an endura. I liked it, but it was a little too large for what I needed. I then purchased a manix 2 g10 s110v. I fell in love with that knife and carry it everyday.
The spydie bug bit me hard. I now have 29 spydercos. I joined this forum because I am obsessed with spydercos. I look at the forum everyday. I am a lurker. Reading all the current posts. I started buying exclusives and sprint runs, which is a lot of fun. I need to stop, but I cannot. I have an addiction.
I appreciate the spyderco story. From humble beginnings. I appreciate that Sal is on the forum, listening and responding to posts. I appreciate all the knowledge that is posted here. This forum is something I look forward to everyday.
Thanks goes out to all the members who routinely post
Warstien, Darby, Rick, Doc Dan, Vivi, Evil D, BBB, Larrin, Julia, and Sal. You guys are the highlight of my day.
Thank you thank you thank you.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Mr.Green,

Welcome.

sal
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

For a long time in my life I worked for a well-known American company and the insight into the american way of life and culture wasn't really appealing to me, to tell the truth.
I discovered Spyderco knives through a german-speaking forum and argued for a long time whether I should get involved in those products or in this forum or not, because basically I want to support my country or at least Europe (as some here also want to support the their home country in the first place ).
It will not come as a surprise if I also notice that Sal Glesser impressed me with his business conduct. He gave me a different picture I had of US entrepreneurs and well, I've been here ever since.
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eric*the*Red wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 2:04 pm
I have had an appreciation for knives my whole life. My father gave me my first knife when I was 8 years old. A case peanut.
I really became interested in collecting knives 10 years ago. At work, we are issued a gerber multi tool. It is a necessity to have something that can cut things where I work. From cable ties to hoses. The sheath for my gerber fell apart. I have a lot of equipment I need to carry as I do my equipment rounds. I wanted to travel through the plant and keep my equipment carried as light as possible. I started carrying a kershaw leek. I appreciated the leek for being lightweight, but the blade quality was lacking. The blade chipped easily. It seemed like a cheap box cutter.
I researched knives and decided to purchase a ZT 0350. A step up from kershaw. The big belly of the 0350 wasn’t a good fit for cutting cable ties and the knife was quite heavy. I then decided to try a benchmade 300 axis flipper. I loved the look of the knife, but the handle was very thick (0.58”). The handle thickness made it uncomfortable to carry.
Friends from work recommended spyderco. I didn’t like the look of the spydie hole but eventually I decided to try one. I bought an endura. I liked it, but it was a little too large for what I needed. I then purchased a manix 2 g10 s110v. I fell in love with that knife and carry it everyday.
The spydie bug bit me hard. I now have 29 spydercos. I joined this forum because I am obsessed with spydercos. I look at the forum everyday. I am a lurker. Reading all the current posts. I started buying exclusives and sprint runs, which is a lot of fun. I need to stop, but I cannot. I have an addiction.
I appreciate the spyderco story. From humble beginnings. I appreciate that Sal is on the forum, listening and responding to posts. I appreciate all the knowledge that is posted here. This forum is something I look forward to everyday.
Thanks goes out to all the members who routinely post
Warstien, Darby, Rick, Doc Dan, Vivi, Evil D, BBB, Larrin, Julia, and Sal. You guys are the highlight of my day.
Thank you thank you thank you.
Thanks for the nod Eric :) I'm on here a lot, probably post a lot of nonsense too, but I'm glad you appreciate it :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I had to go back and read my first post! I joined in 2007, asking for information on how to score a sprint run Lum. Why am I still here 14 years later?

1) The educational content. Being able to read Janich, Thomas, BBB, Ankerson, and two dozen other knowledgeable luminaries that post here, keeps me coming back for more. "Content is king."

2) Access to Sal, Eric (would like to hear from Eric more often), Kristi is great.

3) A community of people willing to discuss knives. In my line of work, virtually everyone is on P.C. steroids and would rather ban a knife and send the owner to jail, than discuss it. A forum like this is my only outlet for this (secret) interest of mine.

4) A politics free zone.

What gets old on the forum, why do I check out for months at a time? For me that would be:

1) The ongoing wheedling for a recombination model (even though I have occasionally joined in) and in general, the intense lobbying from consumers;

2) The extremely strong opinions sometimes expressed about subjective things, which is greatly moderated by adding some science into the discussion as of late. I gotta say, the recent emphasis on science in this forum is very attractive. For me, opinions are low-quality content and data is high-quality content. Content is king!
PStone

Post by PStone »

I joined because I don't have any "knife guy" friends. No one understands my hobby. I come here to get that feeling. It's almost like an AA meeting. Just to feel included in this community is enough for me.
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

I joined recently because I had just purchased my first Spyderco, a Para 3 in s30v. I also had questions about the first online factory seconds sale. Everyone has been nice and helpful so I decided to stick around. It is also a great place to get information about upcoming models and sprints.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Long time Spyderco knife user (almost exclusively) though not a collector.

I chipped my ZDP-189 DF2 and then lost it, so while surfing around for a replacement I found this place. Lurked for a while before joining. Mostly to cry out for US blade steel options in my preferred knives.

Overall I’ve been on forums since the early 2000’s for a variety of topics and have come in and out as those forums died or morphed. They are some of the best places to learn about specific topics and find like minds.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi MatZio,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

My son got an Endura for me, and I wanted to learn more about it and Spyderco. Everyone here has always been friendly, and I liked hanging out with them.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Double post sorry.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

sal wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:19 am
In the last couple of years, we've had quite an influx of new people join the forum and participate in our discussions.
Quarantine prep started my interest in knives last year and this is my favorite board because of you (Sal), Janich and Kristi - keeping this forum in a different atmosphere than other boards. Also, it's unique to see live dialogue between Larrin and BBB on new steel, I just cannot find this mix anywhere else.

Also, a lot of the forum veterans here bring a lot of experience and knowledge to beginners like me without much drama. I wished I had found this place sooner.
CXXX

Post by CXXX »

I was an early Spyderco devotee; My 1st was the Military 440c 2 screw clip. Many Many Spyderco knives later I'm still here.
And on the Forum for 10 years. Where else would you be greeted by the Founder Mr. Glesser! The entire Spyderco experience of integrity, CQI, and my respect for the brand is why I will always be here.
Sal, I have had the honor of meeting you twice, once in Golden, once at Blade in Atlanta and I always wish you the best. You are a giant in the industry. Gail even gave me a tour in Golden, including the sailboat shop!
That is why I have 379 Spyderco's (1 in transit).
Last edited by CXXX on Thu Jan 28, 2021 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mitchwalcott

Post by mitchwalcott »

I became a bit of a Spyderco addict in the fall of 2020. I decided to join because I could not find some of the answers I was looking for and thought I might as well ask.

The openness and helpful feedback has been wonderful. I may not post a lot, but I appreciate the wealth of knowledge given by so many of you.
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

I joined because I was researching different knives and heard about this knife called a "Delica" (my first Spyderco). That was the start of my Spyderco collection/obsession, and how I got started on this forum.

I started at other knife forums, but found the atmosphere quite frequently too contentious and heated, and so I came here. I have stayed here because of the family-type atmosphere (that has disagreements, but the vast majority of which are respectful). I have come to appreciate the contributions of both long-term members as well as much newer members, which is why I stay here. I learn so much, virtually everyday, when I log on. So many members share such a rich collection of knowledge, that it is hard to go anywhere else where the level of discussion elsewhere is not nearly as "meaty".

Sal, you have definitely set the tone and expectations for the forum, which match with what I prefer - open and respectful discussions. Further, your willingness to have discussions with your customers is unparalleled, and it is amazing to me to see the knives that eventually come to fruiting based on those customer requests. I also greatly enjoy the the insights into the designs and decisions, the materials selection, and the insights into the business (e.g. flow-time from design idea through product to customers). This is all a large part of why I stayed. I just learn so much around here.

And also I think it helps that Spydercos just speak to me, so why not stay here with a bunch of folks with similar (great) tastes? I love that Spyderco designs are are laser focused on being good cutting tools first and foremost, with everything else secondary to that goal. As an engineer, I am always trying to make things as efficient as possible, and I think Spyderco tries to do the same.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Joining the Forum was kind of a slow process for me. Like a lot of the other guys I lurked for some time before I joined in September of 2004. I bought my first Spyderco knife in the Spring of 1995 and it was a Stainless Handled, GIN-1, Full SE MARINER model. I didn't even get the internet until 1999 and didn't even know of the Forum until 2001.

I got to meet both Eric & Sal Glesser for the first time at the 2002 BLADE Show and later again that year at another knife show in Grapevine TX ( Dallas). I also met Mike Sastre at that Texas show too. I joined because I wanted to learn more about the products and share knowledge with all the guys and gals ( especially Simona :D ) that I met here in Spyderville in the fall of 2004. I was at the time wanting to know more about Spyderco's great Sharpening tools>> it was probably just as much Spyderco's sharpening tools that drew me here as it was their great cutlery.

It's sure been an interesting experience becoming a citizen of Spyderville. Overall it's a great group of guys & gals here and I pretty much make it a point to check out the action at Spyderville before I check everything else out that I watch on the internet. I've never joined Facebook, Twitter or any of those other troublesome and annoying websites. Because between Spyderville and Bladeforums and 4 other websites I frequent I stay pretty busy keeping up on my favorite hobby and I still enjoy getting to know more new people as they join this Forum. It's a great place to hang out and I would highly recommend it to anyone who has an interest in knives and sharpening tools. And I hope to stay here for as long as I can.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Got bit by the knife bug and had to put it out there that the Delica 4 is the G.O.A.T.!!!!!

(Then found out there is interesting discussion going on around here and had to stay for the education and diverse opinions. Then learned it is the best place to be in touch with the upcoming exclusives and where to get them).

Much to appreciate here despite the occasional topic turning sour... most have exhibited integrity and professionalism and shared worthwhilely (think I just made that word up :D )..

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have always loved guns and knives. They have been part of my life since I was old enough to stand and pull the trigger while my dad held the rifle for me. All boys had a pocket knife when I was growing up and I have lost so many while outside playing. As an adult, I kept up my interest in knives and when I came back to look at Spyderco, again, I fell in love with what was being offered. I think Spyderco has really hit its stride in the last decade or a little more. I had never belonged to a forum before and did not know what to expect but since I loved the knives I thought I would join in the discussion. I got far more than I could ever give. Sal is a big part of this, but I have met some great people, had a lot of fun, and I have learned a great deal. So, why did I join? I joined simply to talk about Spyderco knives and ended up staying.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050